Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello from Europe. I have an October 2017 M S 100D. Just came back from SC today. After like replacing almost everything the last week they came with the same answer. Bad designed front suspension. Don't know about you guys, but it spoils the whole 'zen' experience of an electric car. As for me. I wait 2 months, but if there's no fix within 2 months I'll start legal action. A model S is a really expensive car - if I would have known that it would rattle like that I would not have made the purchase. So hope there is a fix soon ....

Let us know if you get anywhere, I completely agree that it spoons the zen experience. I do most of my driving in the city at low speeds over bumps so I hear it a lot.

Has anyone managed to get a permanent fix for the rattle at low speed ? I live 1000 kms from the SC and would rather not make the trip if there is no solution.

No solution yet.

However, when picked up my car from the Costa Mesa SC yesterday, I spoke to the service manager about the issue. He said he will get more details from with the technician and help escalate. I will post any update on it when available.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to replace my RWD Model S (P85+) with a RWD Model 3 (vs. waiting for the dual motor air suspension equipped Model 3). I really like the ride of air suspension, but hate rattles, and extra noise (which I know the front motor will introduce) in general...

I just had my ‘17 S100D in for the “pa-dunk” noise over speed bumps. They first said they narrowed it down to the sway bar but after replacement felt that it was the struts. They replaced those also and the noise is still present.

I've had this since my 85D. Most people don't even notice it, but it is definitely present on my 100D as well. On my 85D, they replaced some suspension components and upper control arms and that seemed to have initially solved the issue, but it didn't. Keep in mind I drove my 85D 95k miles and this didn't get worse over time, and I'm up to about 17k miles in my 100D with the same rattle. I've come to accept it as just the suspension components doing their job in a flawed way. As of now, there's no fix and I'm not sure what can really be done. Perhaps a flawed suspension design or component.

A few days ago, a right front suspension rattle/clunk that fits this description began occurring in my 13,000 mile P90D. I know it wasn't occurring before because it's loud enough that I wouldn't have missed it.

Dania Beach, Florida service will be looking at it tomorrow and I'll report back here what I learn.

• Helpful
Reactions: ishareit
Wow. I have a much bigger problem. When backing up and turning my wheels to the right, my right front wheel jammed against to back of the wheel well because it was shifted back an inch or two. Upon further inspection, I saw that I have a broken lower control arm.

Attachments

• Broken Control Arm 1600w.jpg
    Broken Control Arm 1600w.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 478
Is every Late 2017 Model S plagued with this rattle, or only a select few ? Mine is getting slightly worse and I only have 1000 Miles on the odometer.

Dec 2017 build S75D. I have heard a few noises up there but nothing like the video posted at the top of this thread.

Went out today on the way to work and hit a few speedbumps, and some other bumps at 25-35 mph...and heard nothing. Radio was on mute.

So bottom line, I have heard a few faint "normal suspension" noises, but nothing outstanding. I also had the car's active suspension serviced just 1 week after delivery for the air suspension failing to adjust altogether. Just another data point.

Wow. I have a much bigger problem. When backing up and turning my wheels to the right, my right front wheel jammed against to back of the wheel well because it was shifted back an inch or two. Upon further inspection, I saw that I have a broken lower control arm.
Ugh, I had the exact same sound where I thought the wheel is rubbing.
Do you have an air suspension or 21" wheels?
How did you get access to check this part ? do you have to remove the wheel?