Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Nov 17 Model S (Not D) with air suspension (if it matters), and i am able to consistently reproduce the noise if I drive between 5 and 7 mph. It is very consistent at that speed. Above that speed, it seems to go away. I can hear the noise, as well as feel a vibration in the steering wheel. Can anyone please test by driving only 5-7 mph and see if it happens? Originally, I noticed the noise while slowing down to a stop, but since then I was able to figure out that it is consistent at that speed. Tesla service has reproduced the issue, and replaced the struts four times and said the problem was resolved, but it is not.

I have a Nov 17 Model S (Not D) with air suspension (if it matters), and i am able to consistently reproduce the noise if I drive between 5 and 7 mph. It is very consistent at that speed. Above that speed, it seems to go away. I can hear the noise, as well as feel a vibration in the steering wheel. Can anyone please test by driving only 5-7 mph and see if it happens? Originally, I noticed the noise while slowing down to a stop, but since then I was able to figure out that it is consistent at that speed. Tesla service has reproduced the issue, and replaced the struts four times and said the problem was resolved, but it is not.
yeah same here - easily reproduced at those speeds.

I had complained twice about exactly the same kind of noise (2017 S 90D inventory car with air suspension, purchased end of September). The first time, the service advisor said it was a known issue being looked into. The second time, they put in more sound proofing and claimed the noise is gone, but I can still hear the noise (albeit a bit more muffled).

I guess I will have to wait with the rest of you for a real resolution. At least I know that I have a lot of company, so Tesla shouldn't be ignoring this issue (I hope).

The Struts appear to be the same part numbers across both cars on both sides. Below is a photo of the label on the strut with what I believe is the part number. I was able to get the photo by setting the suspension on the highest setting and turning the wheel all the way in one direction.
I am not sure the sound on the other tesla is gone - tonight it seemed to be coming back - not 100 percent sure but I think so.

I would interested to know if others with the rattle have the same part number - also I could be wrong but it appears to have the Firestone "F" logo.
IMG_1593.jpg

The Struts appear to be the same part numbers across both cars on both sides. Below is a photo of the label on the strut with what I believe is the part number. I was able to get the photo by setting the suspension on the highest setting and turning the wheel all the way in one direction.
I am not sure the sound on the other tesla is gone - tonight it seemed to be coming back - not 100 percent sure but I think so.

I would interested to know if others with the rattle have the same part number - also I could be wrong but it appears to have the Firestone "F" logo.
View attachment 290357
Hi moulari,
Have you had a chance to verify if the rattle is back on your MS that was serviced first?? I hope it's fixed.

056B2108-CECC-463A-966C-628E499A4122.jpeg
F73C5AC1-E2AF-4CAF-BB16-A5296AB536F1.jpeg

View attachment 290357

Here are photos of my front struts with part numbers. Both are labeled 1067361-25-C, same as Moulari’s. Anyone else able to take photos to contribute to this data collection? Please also share if you have a non-rattling vehicle, for comparison.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
I’m dealing with a rattle issue right now as well. I took the car in about 10 days ago, got a tech to be able to hear the rattle. They called me and said they found a broken air duct, and then later they said they had to change both the steering rack, and a piece of the suspension. Then on the day it was supposed to be ready, they needed to replace the steering harness.

Finally got to pickup the car yesterday and took it for a drive with the tech. I have no idea if they fixed the original issue (it was an annoying rattle at high speed coming from what sounded like being the touchscreen) because they created a very loud one right behind the steering wheel. It was like they left a screwdriver under the dashboard.

Definitely disappointing for a car I bought in September. I appreciate they are taking the issue seriously, but if they’d even tested the car before calling me in they’d have realized the problem.

Has anyone actually ever had Tesla cure a rattle before?

Reactions: CaliSol
Got my car back. Before I picked it up I got a call from the service center confirming the struts are the issue and they don't have a replacement part for it yet. The manufacturer of the part (looks like Firestone from the pics shown by others) are supposedly working on the issue and not sure if there will be a recall but they will let me know when they do have a proper fix for it. Have to live with the rattle for now.

Hi All,

Please find a picture of the struts of my car. Indeed the same part number.

I spoke 2 days ago with a Tesla owner who receiverd his 2nd MS just 2 weeks ago. Absolutely no rattle at the front suspension.

I'm keeping the pressure on Tesla. I'm not taking it for granted that I pay big € and receive a faulty car while apparently a lot of cars don't have this issue. I'm not going to live with it.

So please, keep pressuring Tesla, your SC and so on, that this issue becomes a priotity - because I don't think it is one today...

All the best

Attachments

• IMG_2976.JPG
    IMG_2976.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 107
Hi moulari,
Have you had a chance to verify if the rattle is back on your MS that was serviced first?? I hope it's fixed.

Yeah its back on both cars.

just to make certain that I have the same issue, if you drive at 5-7 mph can you hear the noise from the front end and feel it on the steering wheel? I don't want to waste time taking it in if that is the same issue.

Thanks.
Sounds like it may be what you have - someone posted a video in this thread or another and it picked up the sound perfectly. I will try to find it.
I would take it in for sure - not a waste of time - you should get your spot in line for when the fix does come out.

I took my car in today to the SC at Oakville, ON for this rattle. They said it is pretty standard on their current cars. While I was a bit disappointed, I figured I might as well wait for the issue to play out and go back once Tesla fixes the part issues.

And then, I got an older AP1 loaner. Damn...this thing did not have any rattle at all. It was a 90D.. air suspension and it was completely silent even on low speeds.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
I took my car in today to the SC at Oakville, ON for this rattle. They said it is pretty standard on their current cars. While I was a bit disappointed, I figured I might as well wait for the issue to play out and go back once Tesla fixes the part issues.

And then, I got an older AP1 loaner. Damn...this thing did not have any rattle at all. It was a 90D.. air suspension and it was completely silent even on low speeds.
Mine's a P90D AP1 with air, and it does have the rattle. Does the P have different struts? I'm away from the car now, but can check later...

Reactions: vraev