Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been dealing with this rattling noise on my Tesla S 75D ever since picking it up brand new on 3/26/18. My car has been in the shop for more days than I've actually had it in my possession. Each of the FIVE model S loaner cars that Tesla has given me over the past two months have not rattled. So, it's not like Tesla can't build a car without a rattle.

I am dealing with the Tesla Executive Escalations Team, and I'd suggest that everyone with this problem contact that team ASAP. The more they hear from disgruntled owners, the better the chances of this issue being resolved. Surely, a company that has built such an otherwise-incredible piece of new technology -- and sent a rocket into space -- can fix a strut noise.

The best way to reach that team is to log into your Tesla account through the Tesla website, then click on "MANAGE" at the top of your account page, then slide all the way down to the SUPPORT section. In the Subject Header of the Support form, click on the drop-down menu and choose, "Escalate This Concern for Executive Review". Then write your message, detailing everything you've experienced.

Nobody should be paying nearly $100G for a supposedly-luxury Model S that actually sounds more like a Model T.

Here's to a speedy resolution ahead!!

Last edited:
I have been dealing with this rattling noise on my Tesla S 75D ever since picking it up brand new on 3/26/18. My car has been in the shop for more days than I've actually had it in my possession. Each of the FIVE model S loaner cars that Tesla has given me over the past two months have not rattled. So, it's not like Tesla can't build a car without a rattle.

I am dealing with the Tesla Executive Escalations Team, and I'd suggest that everyone with this problem contact that team ASAP. The more they hear from disgruntled owners, the better the chances of this issue being resolved. Surely, a company that has built such an otherwise-incredible piece of new technology -- and sent a rocket into space -- can fix a strut noise.

The best way to reach that team is to log into your Tesla account through the Tesla website, then click on "MANAGE" at the top of your account page, then slide all the way down to the SUPPORT section. In the Subject Header of the Support form, click on the drop-down menu and choose, "Escalate This Concern for Executive Review". Then write your message, detailing everything you've experienced.

Nobody should be paying nearly $100G for a supposedly-luxury Model S that actually sounds more like a Model T.

I agree with you and I already did exact same thing by logging in.

From reading through this thread, it is obvious that there are multiple possible sources of rattles from the front of the car, but it seems that when everything else has been checked/replaced, many owners of cars with the Bilstein strut still have a rattle, if you have a rattle with Firestone struts it is likely that one of these other solutions will work...
I have the coil suspension on my car and it has the rattle. The coil struts are made by Bilstein also.

Diagnosed the source of my rattle problem this morning. It's the front sway bar and the rattle appears to be coming from where the sway bar attaches to the drop links. I can move the sway bar by hand and that faintly produces the rattle. The illustration below from the service manual indicates the source of the rattle. This info should be a big help to my service center as they do the repairs.

View attachment 300651

Problem fixed today within 30 minutes by my service center. I was the right side drip link to the sway bar. Rattle now gone.

I sent them an email last night about mine.

Thanks for the advice. I just posted a message. Problem has been going on for nearly 5 months now (since I got my car basically).

"Problem fixed today within 30 minutes by my service center. I was the right side drip link to the sway bar. Rattle now gone."

I will be checking mine ASAP also however, I think the sound that mine is making sounds like sheet metal is involved. More like a jingle, but I also have a clunk coming from the front end when I am straightening the wheels after a turn. This is also a low speed issue as far as I can tell.
If the sway bar it loose, any idea what the torque spec should be?

"Problem fixed today within 30 minutes by my service center. I was the right side drip link to the sway bar. Rattle now gone."

I will be checking mine ASAP also however, I think the sound that mine is making sounds like sheet metal is involved. More like a jingle, but I also have a clunk coming from the front end when I am straightening the wheels after a turn. This is also a low speed issue as far as I can tell.
If the sway bar it loose, any idea what the torque spec should be?

I'll check that in the manual and see what I can find.

Update: According to the service manual the nuts that attach the sway bar to the drop links are torqued to 70 Nm.

I got a call in response to my email to advanced section last night. Latest word from engineering I was told, at least for my car, is the steering rack needs to be replaced. Parts may take months to get here though. Dealing with the local Tesla shop now where I suggested his service guys take a look at this thread in case it's some simpler fix in my case. I'm waiting to hear back from them weather they want to take my car in and have a go at it at this point.

I got a call in response to my email to advanced section last night. Latest word from engineering I was told, at least for my car, is the steering rack needs to be replaced. Parts may take months to get here though. Dealing with the local Tesla shop now where I suggested his service guys take a look at this thread in case it's some simpler fix in my case. I'm waiting to hear back from them weather they want to take my car in and have a go at it at this point.
Several people (including myself) have had their steering racks replaced with zero change in the noise.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
What was actually loose? Was it the upper joint or the lower joint?

Here's the Tesla SC repair description:

Concern: Customer: After my last service, when some front suspension components were

replaced, a rattle soon appeared. It sounds like a loose component of some kind. It's hard to

tell where the rattle originates but it does seem to be the front suspension.

Corrections: Link - Sway Bar - Front - Pair

Replaced front sway bar end links due to loose joints.

Part Quantity

FR SUSP STABAR LINK LH (6007098-00-A) 1

FR SUSP STABAR LINK RH (6008915-00-A) 1

NUT HF M10x1.25 PC10 PTP COLORED

(2007090-00-C)

My 2017 100D also has the dreaded suspension rattle. I noticed in the first week and has been confirmed 4 times by Tesla service staff. Having spent twice the amount for this car, compared to all my other car purchases, the last thing I expected was an unresolved rattle. This takes a lot of the shine off the experience for me, and instead of being proud I'm actually feeling depressed when I honestly answer the question: "How do you like your new Tesla?"

The noise is very evident on rough pavement or unpaved roads at any speed and I have had the car in twice and had it confirmed by test drives two other times. Known problem. We're working on it. Don't know when we'll have the solution. Trust us.

My dream car is a lemon, and I've told them that. I'll give them 5 months more, and then will be claiming my rights under the state's lemon law for a full refund.

Problem fixed today within 30 minutes by my service center. I was the right side drip link to the sway bar. Rattle now gone.

Is it still gone? Mine was cured for 1 whole day after 2 weeks in the SC...... I also have a RideShare Tesla with Tesla. I have had it in my possession 60% of the time, they have had it the other 40% in service since I owned it. I would NEVER put up with this from MB or Lexus (my previous brand choices), I would have been screaming bloody murder.

Is it still gone? Mine was cured for 1 whole day after 2 weeks in the SC...... I also have a RideShare Tesla with Tesla. I have had it in my possession 60% of the time, they have had it the other 40% in service since I owned it. I would NEVER put up with this from MB or Lexus (my previous brand choices), I would have been screaming bloody murder.

Yes, gone, but it’s only been four days, although I do expect it will be permanent.

It’s amazing to me how quiet the car is now — it must have been generating other noises beyond the rattle I was hearing.