Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I showed this thread to a technician at my SC today who is very familiar with this issue. He said that they are in direct contact with the engineer working on this, and there still isn’t a fix yet. So it is possible that the bulletin mentioned in this thread is a different issue than others are experiencing which is very widespread.

Hi,

Not sure if it is possible with this forum, but if you PM me, i can share my VIN number. Maybe you can ask your SC to check that to see what bulletins are attached to it?

Rgds,

Jeroen

I have a 2018 MS75D with 1000 mi and I too hear the rattle from the front drivers side at low speed. Had the car in the service center prior to noticing this issue and having read this Thread I didn’t hear it on the RWD 75 loaner I was given. Should I report the issue? Is there a real resolution yet? Hard to descern from this thread. Thanks.

Hi,

Not sure if it is possible with this forum, but if you PM me, i can share my VIN number. Maybe you can ask your SC to check that to see what bulletins are attached to it?

Rgds,

Jeroen
They ordered a part for my car (not related to this thread) and will call me when it’s in to schedule appointment, hopefully next week.
If you want to PM me your VIN, I will try when I go back to the SC and report back.

I can’t edit my previous post. But i forgot to ask, have you fixed your car yet? Any updates from you?

I can confirm I have the exact same sound and issue in my car. I recorded a video, replayed it and compared it to yours and it’s pretty much the same.

Hi BeBop - No, not fixed yet. I’m still living with the rattle. I took my car in last week for other issues and they told me there’s no solution for the rattle yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
Just pulled this off the Tesla.com website:

Model S
Convenience
Onboard maps and navigation
Wi-Fi and LTE internet connectivity
Keyless entry
Voice-activated controls
Bluetooth hands-free calling and media streaming
60/40 folding rear seats with 894 liters of storage
Back-up camera
Auto-dimming mirrors
One-touch power windows
Retracting, lighted door handles
Power-adjustable, heated side mirrors
12-volt power outlet
Built-in front end air strut rattle (alerts driver when
driving slow speed or on rough pavement)

First visit for suspension rattle, I was told there is no fix from engineering. So I decided to wait.
Second visit after 5 months replaced the left air suspension module to fix the rattle. Rattle still exists after the replacement.
Third visit I was told there is no fix from engineering again.
Frustrating....

I don't think this falls under lemon law (at least in California) because it is not safety related as Tesla claims.

Picked up mine after a week at Service Thursday. This is what I got:
"Concern: Customer states 14. April 2018 18:03 (CEST): I am still waiting to hear an update
regarding the rattling noise coming from the front of the car.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Front Suspension (including Hubs) General Diagnosis
We reviewed your concern and conducted several checks to verify if the noise is
specific to your vehicle, or simply a rattle that occurs after standard wear of mechanical
components.
We confirmed that the noise you are hearing is not unique to your vehicle.
Rest assured, the noise also doesn't indicate any functional issue or premature failure
of any component
We are exploring ways to reduce this rattle and we will let you know when a solution
becomes available.
This case is still under investigation."

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Just in case any newcomers didn't see my earlier post about how to properly report the rattling issue to the Tesla Executive Escalations Team, here it is (and my car is STILL in the shop awaiting a fix!):

I have been dealing with this rattling noise on my Tesla S 75D ever since picking it up brand new on 3/26/18. My car has been in the shop for more days than I've actually had it in my possession. Each of the FIVE model S loaner cars that Tesla has given me over the past two months have not rattled. So, it's not like Tesla can't build a car without a rattle.

I am dealing with the Tesla Executive Escalations Team, and I'd suggest that everyone with this problem contact that team ASAP. The more they hear from disgruntled owners, the better the chances of this issue being resolved. Surely, a company that has built such an otherwise-incredible piece of new technology -- and sent a rocket into space -- can fix a strut noise.

The best way to reach that team is to log into your Tesla account through the Tesla website, then click on "MANAGE" at the top of your account page, then slide all the way down to the SUPPORT section. In the Subject Header of the Support form, click on the drop-down menu and choose, "Escalate This Concern for Executive Review". Then write your message, detailing everything you've experienced. After doing that, you will hear back from them.

Nobody should be paying nearly $100G for a supposedly-luxury Model S that actually sounds more like a Model T.

Here's to a speedy resolution ahead!!

The issue has no solution that I am aware of at the moment. I cannot see transparency in the way it is being handled and, beside some statements mentioned here and there, I cannot see if it is being handled in any way at all. I have read same statements communicated to different people in different countries and by different service center - same over a long period of time.

The fact is that the service centers have neither been able to localize it nor to resolve it.Assertions about safety of the car with the issue are therefore difficult to take for granted.

A quite contradictory fact is that the new vehicles are not advertised having this "feature" while the enginering is "working" on resolving it. Hard to understand.

My personal experience with the issue is that there is a vibration which is propagating to other parts of the vehicle. It causes other problems where only one of them is the noise. For some this may result in an unpleasant driving experience and for some it can cause physical problems.

I have started a process in Consumer Council of Norway. This is a public agency that mediates cases like this. However there is a waiting time which might imply that I have to take this on personal expense by appealing to Legal Council privately. Something I would like to avoid.

@mangoesbananas I have followed your advice, but in the reply from Tesla Executive Care Team I read that the case is escalated in the local management at the service center where the vehicle is serviced. I did that before. I hope this time it will be more appealing for the service center, but I cannot realy tell provided I have already taken that route.

Reactions: daktari
I spoke with my service center today. There is, apparently, a fix. At this moment, they're waiting on the tools/parts they need to make it happen. Fingers crossed this problem is fixed permanently.

You would be a very welcomed messenger if you could provide some specifics. Initially the rattle in my car was a minor distraction but it has become very annoying over time and there are many others on this thread who are in the annoyed camp. We are all waiting for the secret sauce that will put an end to this culprit.

You would be a very welcomed messenger if you could provide some specifics. Initially the rattle in my car was a minor distraction but it has become very annoying over time and there are many others on this thread who are in the annoyed camp. We are all waiting for the secret sauce that will put an end to this culprit.

I’d just call the service center and speak to someone to ask if your VIN is included in the service bulletin that addresses this.

And yes, when I get more information, I’ll be sure to share.

I spoke with my service center today. There is, apparently, a fix. At this moment, they're waiting on the tools/parts they need to make it happen. Fingers crossed this problem is fixed permanently.

At this point it would be even more relevant to post details about:
1. The essense of the problem.
2. Specification of the solution.

There are only two attempts allowed to fix the same issue in Norway. If the issue has not been fixed the order is a subject for either a complete refund or a re-delivery. There are quite strict rules about that as well.

That being said I as the owner of my vehicle deserve to know the answer to these two questions. This is important because it is a specification that allows to assess the quality of work performed by the manufacturer/service center. In case the quality is not satisfactory the same Consumer right may apply.

The main concern is of course that the statement that was announced by my service center is that the issue is only a noise. If that is the only focus of the repair then I would hardly accept it as a solution.

Reactions: daktari
Good idea. I just filled in the poll. When can we receive the answers ? Would love to know how many people are involved and what the actual status is. I appealed to a lawyer and want full refund. Very unsatisfied with the way Tesla is handling this. I get better service when I buy a 20 € Chinese hairdryer ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragetreneren
Good idea. I just filled in the poll. When can we receive the answers ? Would love to know how many people are involved and what the actual status is. I appealed to a lawyer and want full refund. Very unsatisfied with the way Tesla is handling this. I get better service when I buy a 20 € Chinese hairdryer ..

Would be interesting to see how people respond. Hopefully it will make sense to share using own networks.

This needs to change since the number of respondents can easily exceed 40. Google forms will do. Will repost soon.

update: Got my car back. Here is the text from my repair sheet. In my case they acknowledged what others have said about it being with engineering, but they also replaced one strut and an Air Spring Module. I've not driven it yet enough to see if it helped at all, but interesting that they replaced parts.

Corrections: Suspension - Front - Check Torque
Retorqued the front suspension. This noise is a known issue with the DAS 2.5 steering
racks, and is currently under engineering review. No further repairs to be performed until
fix is released. Vehicle is safe to drive.

Corrections: Air Spring Module - Front - RH
Removed and replaced the right front strut.

@CaliMS Could you elaborate on what is "DAS 2.5 steering rack". Picture would also help. Other than that you are very welcome to participate in q questionary here: Rattle noise coming from front air suspension

I just received the following from Executive Care:

--------------------------------
I wanted to inform you that our engineers have identified the root cause of this rattle issue and are working to make the solution available soon. This is not a manufacturing defect and has no impact on performance or reliability. Nonetheless, based on this feedback, we are working on a design modification to solve this concern. The design modification is currently undergoing validation and we expect to be able to install it on customer cars requesting it, most probably by end of Summer. Once available, your local service center will be able to assist you further. Thank you for your understanding!
----------------------------------