Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s a TSB? o_O
Technical Service Buletin - Official guidance from a manufacturer to service departments outlining issues, known fixes, procedures, etc...

If there's a TSB for something that's a known problem, it often will outline what specific models/years/parts are affected. What's more, it gives you some grounds for requesting the fix even if you are out of warrantee, as it may indicate a design issue as opposed to normal acceptable wear & tear.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
I went to mine earlier this week in Sydney. The tech went for a short drive with me and immediately said yes I know what the problem is, Tesla engineers have finally worked out a solution and the parts are currently in production ramp-up by the supplier(s). Said it shouldn't be long for the parts to arrive and they will back in touch when they do arrive. So I expect it might be 4-6 weeks for them to arrive in Australia

I have the same exact sound on my August 2018 Model X 100D with 22" wheels. The sound is comparable to driving on loose gravel, but obviously that's not what it is. It sounds like a loose piece of metal coming from the front driver wheel. What's interesting is that the sound is louder from inside the car than outside. It goes away over 20 mph. I made a service appointment for next week about this.

I just got a call from my local Tesla SC. They told me that the parts just came in last week to fix the front end rattle and scheduled me for the service 16-Oct at 8:30am. I was really surprised but she assured me that this is definitely the same issue that Tesla Engineering has been working on for years. I will update when the work is done!
I'm wondering if you have your car back and, if so, what were the part numbers of the parts they replaced? Thanks very much!

I first posted to this forum on April 7, 2018 regarding the strut rattle problems that I started experiencing immediately after delivery of my 2018 75D with 19" wheels/tires in late March 2018.

In July 2018, Tesla engineering designed what they called a "temporary fix" that they installed in my car as a prototype. They said that it hadn't yet been tested for durability, but that it would temporarily take away the strut rattle. And, they said the temporary fix required that they switch my 19" wheels/tires to 21" wheels/tires. Though the invoice didn't include part numbers for the temporary fix, this is what it said:

Corrections: Spring and Damper Assembly - Front - RH

Engineering provided updated struts and 21" wheels and tires as a temporary fix for the issue. they car currently working on a permanent fix that will be released in the near future. we will install it when available.

Corrections: Spring and Damper Assembly - Front - LH

Engineering provided updated struts and 21" wheels and tires as a temporary fix for the issue. they car currently working on a permanent fix that will be released in the near future. we will install it when available.​

After the temporary fix was installed and the 21" wheels/tires were put on, the rattle completely disappeared. Tesla Engineering told me that the "permanent fix" should be available in mid-September 2018, and that the "permanent fix" would work on 19" wheels/tires and 21" inch wheels/tires (and they said that, due to all I've been through, I could have my choice of either size wheel/tire set once the "permanent" fix was installed).

On Sep. 18, 2018, the Dublin SC in California had me bring my car in to get the "permanent fix" installed. I told them that I wasn't yet sure if I wanted the 19" or 21" wheels/tires, and they said they would first put in the 19" set and then I could let them know in two weeks if I wanted the 21" set instead. Here are the details of what they did to "permanently" fix my struts:

This is a fix for this customer from Engineering part 1067361-77-C. This is an ongoing tool box case.
Correction: front suspension (including hubs)

Corrections: Air Spring Module - Front - LH
Technician replaced the front left air spring module
Parts replaced or added:
Air Spring Module FR - MS2 DM
(1067361-77-C)

Corrections: Air Spring Module - Front - RH
Technician replaced the front right air spring module
Parts replaced or added:
Air Spring Module FR - MS2 DM
(1067361-77-C)​

On Sep. 26, 2018, I picked up the car. The 19" wheels/tires were back on, and there was no strut noise. I told Dublin Tesla that I would let them know within two weeks if I wanted the 21" wheels/tires.

Five days later, I decided I wanted the 21" wheels/tires, so I called the Service Manager and Advisor whom I had been working with. I didn't hear back from either of them, so I continued calling every day, but never heard back till the 9th day. At that point, I got an email from the Service Manager saying that they got rid of my 21" wheels/tires (the set that Tesla had promised I could keep if I wanted them).

Additionally, after two weeks, the strut rattle has come back. It started off happening just a bit, once in a while, but it is increasing every day.

Needless to say, I know this is a first-world problem, but I am disappointed at this ongoing ordeal. Yesterday, I called the Tesla engineer who designed the strut fixes, and he said there's nothing he can do...and he said no one else has complained about the "permanent fix". I now have an appointment with Dublin Tesla for Oct. 23rd for them to re-diagnose the situation.

Has anyone else had their air modules replaced with the supposed "permanent fix" parts 1067361-77-C and found the rattle reappearing after a while?

Thanks for any feedback anyone can share!

• Informative
@Electroman Forums tend to exaggerate the number of vehicles with issues, or at least issues owners may be aware of. Keep in mind the number of vocal owners that end up venting on forums is but a tiny fraction of Tesla owners. The majority of owners either don't have, don't notice, or don't write about their issues, and may not be aware of some issues that are published and discussed on the forums. I, for one, would not have realized the yellow screen outline issue, the headlight eyebrow issue, the spider in the taillight issue, the leather seat wrinkle issue, and even the extend of the suspension rattle situation if not for my need to peruse the forums of a semi-daily basis.

@Electroman Forums tend to exaggerate the number of vehicles with issues, or at least issues owners may be aware of. Keep in mind the number of vocal owners that end up venting on forums is but a tiny fraction of Tesla owners. The majority of owners either don't have, don't notice, or don't write about their issues, and may not be aware of some issues that are published and discussed on the forums. I, for one, would not have realized the yellow screen outline issue, the headlight eyebrow issue, the spider in the taillight issue, the leather seat wrinkle issue, and even the extend of the suspension rattle situation if not for my need to peruse the forums of a semi-daily basis.

I agree partly with the above. Some people go nuclear about small things. However the rattle noise is something Tesla needs to address. The issue here is this may in fact affect a large amount of cars and a ton of people may come and ask for a replacement which can go really $$. Not sure this is an OEM issue and they can put it on them or maybe whatever is around that amplifies it to be heard annoyingly in the cabin is the issue. That would be my guess. If the rod needs room to expand with temperature and a rattle is normal, this aluminum body is just a perfect bass reflex. But if that's the case I am sure the manufacturer has design recommendations to compensate the noise.
This needs to be pushed so they actually do something about it.

Hard to believe reading this forum that Tesla has the highest customer satisfaction rating. Makes me wonder what the non Tesla owners are going through.
Also, I had a Honda Civic that had bad front strut bearings after about 10k miles. The dealership looked at it and said that “they all make that noise”. It took escalation to the regional service manager to even get them to look at it again.

You probably are referring to the other Electroman - the one with the lightning symbol prefix and suffix.

This has been a big source of confusion for some people and even for the mods. Sometime ago I was banned by mistake, when the mod was actually thinking he/she were banning the other guy - you know, my impostor.

I don't know whey this site allows such crazy symbols in the handle.

You probably are referring to the other Electroman - the one with the lightning symbol prefix and suffix.

This has been a big source of confusion for some people and even for the mods. Sometime ago I was banned by mistake, when the mod was actually thinking he/she were banning the other guy - you know, my impostor.

I don't know whey this site allows such crazy symbols in the handle.
I thought you were my impostor, but now I see you were here way before me. I'll try to behave myself so I don't get you banned.