Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Thursday, the Service Center installed new front Air Spring Modules! The rattling noise problem solved, at least for me...

The new part # is 1067361-77-C.

I made them aware of the rattling issue with my car back in the late Spring. They told me they would contact me when there was a fix. I checked in with them in September. I brought the car back in, they checked it, and said there was a fix available. New parts arrived, and are installed.

So far, so good!
The rattling effect started to manifest itself on my vehicle few weeks after delivery took place. I associate it with the time when I started using suspension leveling.

It would be much easier to understand the solution if Tesla came with an explanation.

On Thursday, the Service Center installed new front Air Spring Modules! The rattling noise problem solved, at least for me...

The new part # is 1067361-77-C.

I made them aware of the rattling issue with my car back in the late Spring. They told me they would contact me when there was a fix. I checked in with them in September. I brought the car back in, they checked it, and said there was a fix available. New parts arrived, and are installed.

So far, so good!

In my first reply, I made an unfortunate typo. What I meant to ask was, "How long have you been driving since the FIX was installed?" And I'm also curious to know what Service Center installed the fix? Thanks!

What, you don’t identify as an electric car too?

Explains the rattling.

Anyways, I took my August 2018 MX100D to service last week for this exact sound but after spending all day, they said they were unable to identify the issue and will need to keep the car longer. I wasn't able to leave it with them for that long this time but I plan to take it back someday.

I’m glad you’re having good results with the “permanent fix”. How long have you been driving since the sex was installed? For me, the rattle started to come back a couple weeks after the “permanent fix”, which was installed at the Tesla Dublin service center. I’m curious to know which service center installed your new modules?
Only driven one day since fix. Monterey/Seaside Service Center.

I have had the rattle since I took delivery of my RHD Model S in March of this year. They replaced both Air Spring Modules on Friday last and the issue is certainly solved - hopefully permanently! The parts detailed as being used were : AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-77-C)

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
I have had the rattle since I took delivery of my RHD Model S in March of this year. They replaced both Air Spring Modules on Friday last and the issue is certainly solved - hopefully permanently! The parts detailed as being used were : AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-77-C)

This is indeed inspiring! Are you using R19 wheels? Would be nice if you could write a feedback in a couple of weeks. Make sure you have used suspension leveling enough by then. This was namely what (likely) was the trigger for the problem to manifest itself the first time I noticed it at least.

Thank you! I provided this info to my Service Center (Highland Park, IL) last week and received an email from them today that they have arrived. I have an appointment on November 5th for installation (first available service dates are far out!).

Replying to myself to post an update. Had both of the front air struts replaced today with the new parts. Before I even could pick the car up, the SC texted me to let me know the noise was reduced but still present. The tech recommended replacing the steering rack assembly, so that is now on order.

ACTUALLY, I just checked the invoice, and appears they installed a different part number: AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-25-C). This is not the revised part number discussed in this thread....sounds like I need to reach out to them.

Replying to myself to post an update. Had both of the front air struts replaced today with the new parts. Before I even could pick the car up, the SC texted me to let me know the noise was reduced but still present. The tech recommended replacing the steering rack assembly, so that is now on order.

ACTUALLY, I just checked the invoice, and appears they installed a different part number: AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-25-C). This is not the revised part number discussed in this thread....sounds like I need to reach out to them.
Unbelievable...

My spring 2018 build 100D started exhibiting the front suspension rattle around 5,000 miles; I'm now at about 6,500 miles. It occurs from 5-15 mph on roads that are slightly bumpy or textured and sounds like you're driving over gravel. I wanted to take the car in for a couple other small issues and so brought this issue up with the SC. To my surprise, the service tech indicated that he'd never before heard of this problem, despite the fact that it seems to be a common problem discussed in multiple Tesla forums. We drove around for a few minutes and the rattle was less apparent than usual (of course). However, toward the end of the drive the tech did say that he did hear the rattle a few times. I asked that he look to see if there was a service bulletin out on this issue, but I left the car with the SC without any clear plan on how they were going to address the noise.

My spring 2018 build 100D started exhibiting the front suspension rattle around 5,000 miles; I'm now at about 6,500 miles. It occurs from 5-15 mph on roads that are slightly bumpy or textured and sounds like you're driving over gravel. I wanted to take the car in for a couple other small issues and so brought this issue up with the SC. To my surprise, the service tech indicated that he'd never before heard of this problem, despite the fact that it seems to be a common problem discussed in multiple Tesla forums. We drove around for a few minutes and the rattle was less apparent than usual (of course). However, toward the end of the drive the tech did say that he did hear the rattle a few times. I asked that he look to see if there was a service bulletin out on this issue, but I left the car with the SC without any clear plan on how they were going to address the noise.
You want to be pro-active. The re-designed part number exists (1067361-77-C). Ask about details of both problem and solution if this part is indeed the complete solution. Nobody in this thread has managed to get a satisfactory explanation.

Tesla Schlieren (Switzerland) told me that they ordered the parts 1067361-77-C after the details coming from this thread and detailed explanation from me so let's hope it will be the right part and will solve the issue.
Will keep this thread posted.

2 weeks ago I also scheduled an appointment there for Nov 30th. The new part wasn’t in stock back then, but should be available by the end of the month. I’ll also report back after the fix.

This is indeed inspiring! Are you using R19 wheels? Would be nice if you could write a feedback in a couple of weeks. Make sure you have used suspension leveling enough by then. This was namely what (likely) was the trigger for the problem to manifest itself the first time I noticed it at least.

Yes - I am on R19 wheels. Since the fix last Fri, I've covered about 700kms - all rattle free. So fingers, toes and everything else crossed, that it remains that way. It had rattled from new - so it a great sensation for me to have it oh so quiet!

Will keep the thread updated...

• Love
Reactions: Dragetreneren
You want to be pro-active. The re-designed part number exists (1067361-77-C). Ask about details of both problem and solution if this part is indeed the complete solution. Nobody in this thread has managed to get a satisfactory explanation.

Thanks for the advice. The SC is ordering replacement parts. Given other remarks in this thread, I intend to double check they have the right part number (1067361-77-C) and will update when parts are in and installed. Thanks again.

Reactions: Dragetreneren