Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a service appointment this week, but was already informed upfront that the replacement parts (1067361-77-C) were not yet available.
In fact Tesla told me that the Service Bulletin was not yet released for Netherlands and therefore the parts were not orderable.
This is in the Netherlands? Anyone else able to confirm that there is indeed a phased roll out of this bulletin?

I also had the car in for the vibration on hard acceleration (in the above video), I also asked if these problems were related and they firmly said NO on this, and seemed to know very well about the hard acceleration vibration problem is about but kept saying it was different from the rattle problem of this thread.

They also weren’t able to order the parts in Switzerland yet.

I had a service appointment this week, but was already informed upfront that the replacement parts (1067361-77-C) were not yet available.
In fact Tesla told me that the Service Bulletin was not yet released for Netherlands and therefore the parts were not orderable.
This is in the Netherlands? Anyone else able to confirm that there is indeed a phased roll out of this bulletin?

I also had the car in for the vibration on hard acceleration (in the above video), I also asked if these problems were related and they firmly said NO on this, and seemed to know very well about the hard acceleration vibration problem is about but kept saying it was different from the rattle problem of this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: pvandamcom

If I were you I would not be overly optimistic with the re-designed part. I have it installed. As I have written in earlier posts:
Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

The SC stated that the problem is not audible and that was what I experienced as well when I just picked up the car. Just some very slight rattle, but then only after one week it is bad again.

I cannot understand how Tesla Quality Assurance can allow this to happen. This is a known problem that has been in focus in Tesla Engineering for over a year now. WHAT IS GOING ON?

I've had my S for 4 months now, and what started as a rattle when driving at low speeds over uneven roads has now just turned into a constant rattle. It has definitely got worse the longer I've had it. I took it into the service centre a couple of months back and they said it was the issue described here, Tesla engineering had found a fix and they were ordering the parts. I spoke with them a couple of weeks ago and they still don't have an ETA when the parts will be here.
Now I'm reading here that the fix isn't actually working....which is pretty depressing. I really, really want to love my Tesla, but every time I get in and drive it the rattling noise is just really annoying. Some of you guys have been waiting a long time for a fix, but at which point do you say enough is enough? Maybe we should all bombard musk with tweets demanding they fix it

Reactions: Dragetreneren
So Maybe Tesla is not yet releasing the Service Bulleting everywhere yet to first wait the results and since they are not good.. they're holding off rolling it out wider.

And yes, I've been looking for a thread on the acceleration vibration, which seems to be getting very common as well and no solution.
And Tesla seemed very specific in claiming these 2 problems were unrelated.

So Maybe Tesla is not yet releasing the Service Bulleting everywhere yet to first wait the results and since they are not good.. they're holding off rolling it out wider.

And yes, I've been looking for a thread on the acceleration vibration, which seems to be getting very common as well and no solution.
And Tesla seemed very specific in claiming these 2 problems were unrelated.

For me it is as well hard to explain or to justify of how Tesla is handling this problem.

I actually start to suspect that it is related to something else but the struts because:
1. I have heard from a Tesla technician that this is a problem for all TMS vehicles post facelift april 2016.
2. Several people have reported this issue for TMS 2016.
3. There have been messages in this thread discussing this issue in relation to RWD (not only AWD).
4. The last attempt to resolve it with revision 77-C has failed.
5. Owners (including some I know personally) has reported that the size of rims has effects on the problem, i.e. it is less percievable with R21 then with R19. So it does sound like being geometry-related.

It would be interesting to take a look at the body construction changes around april 2016 to evaluate this version. I REALY hope this is NOT the case though because to roll out body construction update might be far not as easy as to deliver new struts.

May be @MP3Mike has thoughts on this?

P.S.
From what I understood "acceleration shudder in front" is a common problem for both X and S.
Here is the link to the latest parts from Tesla public catalog, for front drive unit: https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/60355

For TMS I found these threads:
Half shaft cured my issue
Nasty noise on hard acceleration

Hope this helps. But let us keep it outside this thread!

Last edited:
Reactions: pvandamcom
Called Tesla today to check for any updates and they said the parts were now available (77-C).
I made an appointment for January 9th, but am a bit in doubt if I should go for it, given the recent reports of the problem coming back.

One reason for me could be that I also have a "boink" sound going over specific smooth speed bumps. This sound is unrelated from the rattling but Tesla hopes it gets resolved with the new struts as well, so I might take them up on it and then be able to report what happens to my rattle after a few weeks..

I have a facelift 2016 Model S 90D and I´ve had the click-clack noise when driving over small bumps at low speeds since the car was new. On my car it´s lauder now when it´s cold. To be honest, I don´t think Tesla will come up with a solution for this on my car, which is sad, because it ruins my experience of the car. I have several other issues with my car as well, so I´m in the bizarre situation that I avoid driving my $100k+ car as much as I can. I have ordered a Model 3, so I will give Tesla one more chance.

Reactions: CaliSol