Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In service now for the rattle coming back after 77C been installed. I was told they did find the left one to be deffective and ordered replacement but they also kept the car. The claim is that anything on suspension is considered a safety issue. Will see what part they will install.
Hello. Anything new since then?

In my case parts have been ordered, at least 2 months ago. Still waiting. This is suspicious. That's why I'm curious to hear what they told you.

They replaced the left front strut with the same 77c part. I was out of town so my wife picked up the car. I could not get out details about what was wrong with the strut and why they had to keep the car in while waiting for parts. But the strut came in 3 days. Doing this they messed up my alignment and had to fight with then to fix it. They did. Overall now I have a worse rattle than before!! Had no time to complain yet other than in the review but there are no options really.. I will make another appointment. This is just draining energy...

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
Just wanted to add my experience to the list: I took delivery at the beginning of 2017 of a new inventory MS P100D so I'm assuming Q4 2016 build, and almost immediately noticed the rattle/clunking noise in the front suspension being discussed in this thread (#1 in the quoted wav file). I finally got it replaced at the beginning of this year after reading that this was a common issue with no known fix, hoping that by now it would have been fixed.

When I got the car back, the issue was gone and the car was sublime... for about a day. The day after, in the morning, I heard the rattle faintly again, and by the end of the day it was right back to pre-fix volume. So, no dice, there's still no fix.

I'm still trying to get the exact part number of what was installed, just to see - I didn't keep the receipt. I'll post the details as soon as I have them.

Just closing the loop here - found the old invoice and turns out they only replaced a couple of bolts and one or two other small parts like them.

However, I recently asked them for the 77-C and after a week and a half or so of driving I can say that the issue is mostly fixed. It still rattles faintly but if you don't know you wouldn't notice except at really low speeds (5-10 mph) on really rough roads. Hasn't been getting worse over time either (granted it hasn't been that long). Still, it's way better than it was before, so I'm happy with the new part.

I got the 1067361-77-C replacements on my P90DL and so far (500 miles) I haven't heard any rattling. I've had the rattling for the past 3 years, so it's a pleasant change. They do feel different though. Maybe a bit softer. Does anyone know if the spring rate is different for this new part? I'm wondering how it might affect driving dynamics having different air springs in the front and rear.

Update: The new part, 1067361-77-C, is much softer than what came on my P90DL. The suspension in the front is now very cushy, almost Cadillac like, while the rear is still stiff. It's nice while on bumpy roads, but I didn't know fixing the rattle would change the suspension stiffness and I'm not too happy with the trade-off. Mine is an early 2016 so maybe later Teslas were using softer suspensions? Anyone else with this replacement part notice the difference?

Update: The new part, 1067361-77-C, is much softer than what came on my P90DL. The suspension in the front is now very cushy, almost Cadillac like, while the rear is still stiff. It's nice while on bumpy roads, but I didn't know fixing the rattle would change the suspension stiffness and I'm not too happy with the trade-off. Mine is an early 2016 so maybe later Teslas were using softer suspensions? Anyone else with this replacement part notice the difference?

Funny you mention noticing a difference, I noticed a difference too when rounding tight bends (like sharp highway on ramps). In my case the change was for the better, there was much less body roll so it feels much more comfortable taking the curves briskly. On one particularly sharp bend that I take every morning to work, I'd say it now feels at ~33 mph like what it used to feel like at ~27 mph, which is a noticeable jump.

Funny you mention noticing a difference, I noticed a difference too when rounding tight bends (like sharp highway on ramps). In my case the change was for the better, there was much less body roll so it feels much more comfortable taking the curves briskly. On one particularly sharp bend that I take every morning to work, I'd say it now feels at ~33 mph like what it used to feel like at ~27 mph, which is a noticeable jump.

It is arguable if the change somebody has noticed is a property that one can benefit from. In order to help people understand the possible "benefits" those announcing it should probably come up with fungible facts rather than personal experience. Even when that is in place, it is subject to evaluation. Same as a new purchase decision.

Now, the disadvantages of the fault are clear and measurable both technically and financially.

It's interesting that we have different experiences. I wonder if our cars had the same air springs to begin with. Also, it would be helpful to have specs to compare. My searches came up empty. Mine being built in early 2016, did Tesla change specs through the years or use different components on performance vs. non-performance?

I have driven 30k since the part was installed in December of last year .. (iirc). The rattle is mostly gone. I may have a small hint of rattle remaining, but it is no where as bad as what I used to have. I seem to be getting random other noises from the seat base and now a new one from the front dash.

Hi Guys,

My Model S 75D was back at the SC for 2 days last week as the famous rattle returned soon after they replaced my struts for the 3rd time.
Wel it seems now after the 4th time they got it right as so far the sound is completely gone and the car somehow feels different, better.
Let’s hope it stays like this.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
Hi Guys,

My Model S 75D was back at the SC for 2 days last week as the famous rattle returned soon after they replaced my struts for the 3rd time.
Wel it seems now after the 4th time they got it right as so far the sound is completely gone and the car somehow feels different, better.
Let’s hope it stays like this.
Great! Are you able to check the part number on the struts?

Reactions: Dragetreneren
My 2016 Model X 90D just started to have this same problem, seemingly out of nowhere. I know that as I hate rattles and it mentally drives me insane :(

I watched the 2nd post video and that is the exact noise that I'm experiencing. I have an appointment already setup to address the acceleration shudder and I guess I will be adding this one to the list.

My rattle returned after 77-C replacement after about 1200 miles. I've visited the SC a couple times since then for other issues (including having one of my DRLs failing - well documented on this forum) but the techs maintain that the sound CANNOT be due to defective 77-Cs; they will not replace. Neither are they willing to investigate whether other hardware may be the cause. I guess I'll either need to live with the rattle or sell the car, which kind of feels like it is falling apart after one year. Not great for a $110k vehicle.