Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should be looking at it but always be careful ow you position your message. I suggest first never complain about a noise but rather a lose, rattle on front suspension which you think it is a safety issue. They replaced a strut for me again two months ago but did not fix it. Today they replaced it again and it is fixed for now. But they said that suspension is always a safety issue and you should bring it in. Not in writing :). So don't go there asking to replace a strut because you hear a noise.

All,
I have a 2018 S75D. I have going to SC with this suspension rattle issue over 5 times. They replaced the suspension twice already. Last time, they installed the 77C and the sound came back within a week. Very frustrated. The guys at SC (Rockville, MD) do not return calls, do not reply text messages, do not return emails. The only way I can talk to them is to physically drive to SC just to find the reception guys playing around. When are ask them why they are doing this, they tell me that everything is automated. The worst service ever. I might try different SC (maybe Owings Mills, MD). In the mean time, the rattle sound is as loud as ever. I am starting to regret buying Tesla.

Reactions: Jan Fiala
Still trying to get some specs on the new part, 1067361-77-C. The best subjective test I can do is using a speed bump. The front, with the new air springs, travels more and is "bouncy", while the back is firm with less travel.

I'm wondering if the adaptive air spring module replacement includes different shocks, and those shocks are the reason for my perceived difference in ride characteristics. It would be great to hear from an air suspension expert on what characteristics the components affect. My rudimentary M.E. based understanding is that the "spring" affects the softness and travel (spring rate) and the shock (damper) dampens out spring harmonics to prevent bouncing.

Still trying to get some specs on the new part, 1067361-77-C. The best subjective test I can do is using a speed bump. The front, with the new air springs, travels more and is "bouncy", while the back is firm with less travel.

I'm wondering if the adaptive air spring module replacement includes different shocks, and those shocks are the reason for my perceived difference in ride characteristics. It would be great to hear from an air suspension expert on what characteristics the components affect. My rudimentary M.E. based understanding is that the "spring" affects the softness and travel (spring rate) and the shock (damper) dampens out spring harmonics to prevent bouncing.

An old (and nice) educational video on NVH:

You might also find these two posts interesting:

Both my front suspensions were replaced a few months ago (see my previous post on this topic) by the 77-C part. The rattle came back rather quickly (a few hundreds kilometres after replacement).

I told it to the SC which just changed them again "with the very last version". I just checked: they replaced them with the same 77-C part. -_-

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
I had this issue in a couple cars. Due to an NDA I can't discuss the eventual resolution(s) here. Suffice it to say it was *the* 2017 -18 front right "cobblestone terrain" rattle in a pair of Model S cars. I know everything about the issue and know that it was virtually uncorrectable by service back in early 2018. Tesla engineers communicated to local service management different action plans - and suffice it to say the entire front of the car was replaced multiple times over several months in service.. I do know that the RAVEN suspension doesn't have this issue. I can confidently replicate the older issue by driving a certain route near my home - and the RAVEN suspension clears this up.

THIS BEING SAID, there could be a modern and permanent fix for the 2017-18 SAS problem that Tesla has come up with. I cannot speak to the state of the matter, today.

Last edited:
I doubt any raven owners will happen upon this thread because they don’t have the issue… But I would like to know what part numbers Tesla is using for their suspension components. I’m sure they’re completely different and possibly a system by a completely different manufacturer. But if they say 77-C on them I’m gonna be pissed.

If any Raven owners want to take a wheel off and snap some photos of the front strut labels I would be in debt to them.

Thank you

I have a late 2016 with air and two weeks ago it started. Clanky clunk or thud when accelerating and sometimes decelerating. Also, over minor bumps, sounds like its coming from the front. Do I have something else?

Made an appointment the other day for ranger service as I’ve seen others here say they had them look at the suspension issues. They called and canceled today saying they can’t look at suspension issues. But they would be happy to schedule an appointment were I spend 2 to 3 hours round trip to bring it to them, the car I’m unsure if it’s safe to drive. Has anyone tried tightening everything up on their own? I’m really paranoid to let them have it for weeks or months if it needs parts. The few times service has had their hands on it, they’ve always left their mark. :(

But they would be happy to schedule an appointment were I spend 2 to 3 hours round trip to bring it to them, the car I’m unsure if it’s safe to drive.
I don't have a Model S, but an X, but it has had the same issues.

From my experience there have been two places that I have gotten the "clunk" from:
  1. Sway bar link bushings
  2. Bad air struts
I have had both of these and unless you look on a lift, it's probably hard to tell which it is. And they both sound the same. Sometimes Tesla has to put chassis ears on the car to narrow it down but I think it's actually easier to remove the sway bar links from the equation and they can visually inspect that quickly once it is on the lift.

The other day I needed another air strut replaced. I took the technician out for a quick drive on their "bumpy test track" and we did not even get out of the parking lot before his eyes lit up and he stated he was 98% sure it was the strut, so we just turned back to the service bay. One hour later they had replaced the air strut and I was on my way with a "clunkless" car.:)

And yes, the mobile tech cannot do anything in this case except agree with you that your car clunks.

Also don't go to the appointment unless they guarantee that they have the strut in stock, dedicated for your car. You don't want to find out it's the strut and they have to order one.

I don't have a Model S, but an X, but it has had the same issues.

From my experience there have been two places that I have gotten the "clunk" from:
  1. Sway bar link bushings
  2. Bad air struts
I have had both of these and unless you look on a lift, it's probably hard to tell which it is. And they both sound the same. Sometimes Tesla has to put chassis ears on the car to narrow it down but I think it's actually easier to remove the sway bar links from the equation and they can visually inspect that quickly once it is on the lift.

The other day I needed another air strut replaced. I took the technician out for a quick drive on their "bumpy test track" and we did not even get out of the parking lot before his eyes lit up and he stated he was 98% sure it was the strut, so we just turned back to the service bay. One hour later they had replaced the air strut and I was on my way with a "clunkless" car.:)

And yes, the mobile tech cannot do anything in this case except agree with you that your car clunks.

Also don't go to the appointment unless they guarantee that they have the strut in stock, dedicated for your car. You don't want to find out it's the strut and they have to order one.

I’m sure they’ll want it for more than the one day. Do they still give out loners? Not really wanting to spend an hour or more in an Uber.

The few times service has had their hands on it, they’ve always left their mark. :(
Me too. I take pictures of all the panels just before I drop it off. Not just at Tesla. Everywhere I drop it off. The body shop I left it at got some kind of adhesive on the front of my car and then told me it was on there when I dropped it off. It wasn’t just a small amount either. I showed them the pictures I took in a parking lot across the street with the time stamp. It’s just hard to find good help.

I just had both of my Adaptive Air spring modules replaced on my 2016 75D with the same (1067361-77-C) part. I guess I will be going back again in a month or two to get them replaced again..................... :(

Well I happened to read this thread some, and I wanted to mention that my March 29 2018 75D with 31K miles seems never to have had a problem yet with the front suspension. Knock on wood. At about how many miles does this problem tend to start? Thanks.

I doubt any raven owners will happen upon this thread because they don’t have the issue… But I would like to know what part numbers Tesla is using for their suspension components. I’m sure they’re completely different and possibly a system by a completely different manufacturer. But if they say 77-C on them I’m gonna be pissed.

If any Raven owners want to take a wheel off and snap some photos of the front strut labels I would be in debt to them.

Thank you

raven long range performance owner here ...

Sorry to say that I started having the rattling today on heavy acceleration after 1 month of driving it :(

I guess Tesla didn't find a fix yet, kind of a bummer ... I already regret buying the performance version.

• Disagree

Sorry to say that I started having the rattling today on heavy acceleration after 1 month of driving it :(

I guess Tesla didn't find a fix yet, kind of a bummer ... I already regret buying the performance version.
That's too bad regarding the rattling.

What are the other reasons you regret buying the performance version?

This sounds more like the shudder problem than the rattle problem.