Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say, everyone that had your issues repaired or even attempted to be repaired under warranty, are a lot luckier than I am.

1st visit, I was told, the noise is because you are driving in low
Then I made a video, noise is apparent in all settings
2nd visit, the issue is normal, but there is no issue.

Now I've noticed, if I set my car to "Low", the suspension will automatically change back to "Normal." I think they are trying to reduce the noise by forcing me to drive in normal mode. Ugh

I know this thread is getting long, but I figured I should add in my most recent experience with this issue. Feb '17 build S90D bought new with air suspension.

Two years ago, in March '18 (1 year old @26k miles) after reporting severe front suspension noise, they successfully mitigated by replaced both side front lower camber arms under warranty. Part numbers attached here.

upload_2020-5-6_11-13-41.png

Now, two years later I'm back with some robust vibration while accelerating (less rattle noise, but very noticeable shaking in the car while accelerating). After inspection, they have now also replaced the upper control arm on the front left, this time unfortunately not under warranty ($600).

upload_2020-5-6_11-17-13.png

Car is back to driving very smoothly. (Incidentally they also had to replace the rear right air strut because it was leaking - another $1200, but unrelated I think to the general from rattling issue).

At this point I'm almost glad I didn't spring for the P90 and exert even more stress on the suspension system!

Is the suspension noise being discussed here more like a "bobbling" or knocking sound? I've heard a noise that the SC manager pretty accurately described as sounding like a racquetball is bouncing around on the right side of my car for quite some time now... It's a June 2016 build P90D w/ SAS. SC manager says it's a known issue and Tesla is working on a fix - and will be replaced under warranty eventually. Does this echo what others have heard or experienced?

Apologies if this has been answered already - admittedly I did not read all 60 (wow) pages of this thread upon finding it this morning.

Brian

Is the suspension noise being discussed here more like a "bobbling" or knocking sound? I've heard a noise that the SC manager pretty accurately described as sounding like a racquetball is bouncing around on the right side of my car for quite some time now... It's a June 2016 build P90D w/ SAS. SC manager says it's a known issue and Tesla is working on a fix - and will be replaced under warranty eventually. Does this echo what others have heard or experienced?

Apologies if this has been answered already - admittedly I did not read all 60 (wow) pages of this thread upon finding it this morning.

Brian

2018 Model S 75D with air suspension
I had noise coming from what sounded like left front suspension. Usually at about 23-29 MPH with a slightly bumpy road. Sounded like wooden balls bouncing in a leather bag best I could describe it. Took it in perhaps 4 times over past year until they finally fixed it by changing the Air Spring Module part number 1067361-77-C which I believe replaced part 1067361-25-C. This service bulletin describes the problem https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148826-9999.pdf

All of this has been going on for 4-5 years at least. I only get it in my car at work. Just those few feet before the first stop sign leaving work. Not anywhere else ever. Then its gone. Been that way for 5 years. Everything including what service says has been the stated position, "we are working on a fix." I would not count on it ever. My AC used to make a noise at stop lights on hot days, they managed I think through software updates to tune that noise out or its just time has done its thing. Obviously, updates are not going to fix whatever your suspension is doing. If its brief like mine, you'll be living with it for the duration of ownership.

Strange. I had the exchange of the struts or whatever parts of the Bilbenstein suspension on my S 75D last year and it solved the issue until now. I made >40'000km since.
My suspension does make noise on a large movement like on a slow speed bump but gone is the noise I had at low speed on road with small asperities that was very annoying.

Strange. I had the exchange of the struts or whatever parts of the Bilbenstein suspension on my S 75D last year and it solved the issue until now. I made >40'000km since.
My suspension does make noise on a large movement like on a slow speed bump but gone is the noise I had at low speed on road with small asperities that was very annoying.
Same here, must be related to the country then

Reactions: SuisseDriver
The issue is with the air bladder in the strut. Eventually the bladder starts knocking against the metal part of the strut internally. There is nothing you can do to fix it other than replace the strut and then eventually it happens again.

Agreed - you can vary the noise with suspension height and ride settings. Also more noise in colder temperatures.

If "the bladder starts knocking against the metal part of the strut internally" and "Tesla ain't gonna be fixing this" (paraphrasing) are both true statements, I feel like there's a good opportunity for one of our fine aftermarket parts purveyors (maybe @UnpluggedP ?) to come up with a fix - rubber or foam strut sleeve maybe? Even if it needs to be replaced periodically, as long as it doesn't cost a fortune I'd probably go for it - because that knocking sound drives me just a little bit crazy.

Actually, while we're on the topic of aftermarket suspension things (and @UnpluggedP), has anyone that's had this issue upgraded to the Unplugged Performance shocks? Did the problem go away? Obviously that's not a stated goal of the shock upgrade, but it would be a nice side effect. And seems like it could be possible, due to the possibility of a different strut diameter and/or reduced up-and-down movement at low speeds... Just throwing it out there!

Have a great weekend everybody!

Brian

Reactions: spectrum
FWIW I am on my third set of air spring modules because of the "Clunk" on my 2016 Model X. Last set was in March of 2019 for the left and August 2019 for the right. Only 6k miles since then so probably too early for a valid "fix".

The part numbers replaced in 2019 were the same that was replaced in 2017: 1027361-25-E

A friend just had his done (out of warranty) and they stated they have fixed the problem (at least on the Model x?).

His new part numbers are: 1027361-00-G

So maybe there is an update for the Model S too.

My friend told the SC that I was on my third set and their response was I was using the adjustment too much. Not likely. I have it set to 65 mph.

Reactions: Dragetreneren