Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an updated part # from the 77-C yet? Tesla won't replace the front air struts (again) because there is no updated part. And I don't even have 20,000 km on the car yet. It's just annoying that I have to live with the rattling over bumps. For the $ I paid for the my P100D, they should just keep putting in new ones when they start rattling again. It's sh*t like that why I won't buy another Tesla.

Is there an updated part # from the 77-C yet? Tesla won't replace the front air struts (again) because there is no updated part. And I don't even have 20,000 km on the car yet. It's just annoying that I have to live with the rattling over bumps. For the $ I paid for the my P100D, they should just keep putting in new ones when they start rattling again. It's sh*t like that why I won't buy another Tesla.

"Rattling" sounds more like the stabilizer bar links, not the air struts.

They cost under 100 and are very easy to replace.

It's a common issue in any car, not just Tesla.

"Rattle" probably isn't the absolute best description of the noise, but there are plenty of other descriptions in the previous sixty pages of this thread: "bobbling", "knocking", etc. Unfortunately definitely not as simple as swaybar links, @Zuikkis. :(
Oh yes the low speed chuckle. I had it with my 12-17 MS75D and thankfully the first revised strut 95% fixed it two years ago but it sure was annoying.

"Rattle" probably isn't the absolute best description of the noise, but there are plenty of other descriptions in the previous sixty pages of this thread: "bobbling", "knocking", etc. Unfortunately definitely not as simple as swaybar links, @Zuikkis. :(

Ah sorry, should have been more clear the last time.

I have read earlier posts on this thread. It's noticeable that there are reports from earlier year cars (2012-2016) and even some with coil suspension saying "I have the exact same problem", while it obviously it can't be the same thing as the 2017+ air suspension rattle.

The point I was trying to make, if you have mysterious rattle, changing the swaybar links should always be the first thing to do because they are cheap and very easy to change even by yourself. There's someone on page #1 on this thread saying he changes the links annually because they always start to rattle again.

About the air strut problem.. I actually was official importer of K-Sport suspension products in Finland for several years. One customer had very similar issue in his aftermarket K-Sport air suspension. It made weird sounds and also the height adjustment seemed to go in "steps" and not smoothly. The issue was that when the strut is moving up and down, air can get trapped in small "pockets" between the airbag and the damper. Then when there's enough pressure difference, air leaks out and makes a sound. The manufacturer provided instructions how to fix this by removing a rubber "sleeve" inside the bag:

unnamed.jpg

While this does not directly apply to Tesla, it's probably something similar. I undesrtand that if car is under warranty it should be fixed by Tesla, but still it might be beneficial to visit some shop that does aftermarket air suspension installs.. They are probably familiar with these kind of problems.

Thanks for the info @Zuikkis. My car is still under warranty, so I don't want to start fiddling with things myself - would rather have Tesla sort it out like you said. Good to know about that K-Sport rubber sleeve removal solution though... If I still have this problem after my warranty maybe I'll see if that's applicable here! :thumbup:

Brian

My 2017 100D has had both the acceleration vibration, which was cured with a new axle, as well as the front suspension chuckle/rattle that sounds like a pinball machine.

The suspension issue has NOT been fixed with lower stabilizer bar and links replacement, or upper stabilizer bar.

Am I hearing right that strut replacement is the fix??

The noise is noticeable to passengers. Sucks!

Is the suspension noise being discussed here more like a "bobbling" or knocking sound? I've heard a noise that the SC manager pretty accurately described as sounding like a racquetball is bouncing around on the right side of my car for quite some time now... It's a June 2016 build P90D w/ SAS. SC manager says it's a known issue and Tesla is working on a fix - and will be replaced under warranty eventually. Does this echo what others have heard or experienced?

Apologies if this has been answered already - admittedly I did not read all 60 (wow) pages of this thread upon finding it this morning.

Brian
Hello,
does Tesla replace your struts and fix the problem?
Thank you

My 2017 100D has had both the acceleration vibration, which was cured with a new axle, as well as the front suspension chuckle/rattle that sounds like a pinball machine.

The suspension issue has NOT been fixed with lower stabilizer bar and links replacement, or upper stabilizer bar.

Am I hearing right that strut replacement is the fix??

The noise is noticeable to passengers. Sucks!
Service center replaced front air struts and problem is gone for now. They said the struts are the most expensive part on the car. I said makes sense that it’s the last thing you tried replacing… ;)

Service center replaced front air struts and problem is gone for now. They said the struts are the most expensive part on the car. I said makes sense that it’s the last thing you tried replacing… ;)

Haha figures. Glad to hear it's gone for now, @dougpy . Can you post the part numbers of the replacement air struts? I assume they're listed on your service invoice. I'm curious if there is actually an updated part/fix or if they just replaced with the existing parts with fingers crossed... Thanks in advance!

Brian

Haha figures. Glad to hear it's gone for now, @dougpy . Can you post the part numbers of the replacement air struts? I assume they're listed on your service invoice. I'm curious if there is actually an updated part/fix or if they just replaced with the existing parts with fingers crossed... Thanks in advance!

Brian
Ok, they installed:
AIR SPRING MODULE 1.00 FR - MS2 DM(1067361-77-C)

Just wanted to add my experience to the communal knowledge pool for debugging of clunky/rattle like noises coming from the front of a 2015 S85D

At first I thought it had to be the front drive unit motor mount or something because it would click/thunk the most when going from accel to regen and vice versa, and furthermore, It was much louder when Range Mode was enabled!
After bringing it into service, they said “technician confirmed sound and found bushing bolt not properly torqued” then removing bolt resolved sound, and they re-installed the bolt. For re-installing the bolt they charged 195$ general diagnostic fee.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Ok, they installed:
AIR SPRING MODULE 1.00 FR - MS2 DM(1067361-77-C)

Thanks @dougpy - I'll have to check the part number on my air struts next time I get a chance to see if it's different... BTW, noise still gone?

@tkizzy the noise you described sounds very different, both in character and situation. The air suspension issue we've been discussing sounds almost like racquetballs jiggling around in a hopper. Like a "bobbling" or knocking sound, when driving at steady, low speed on slightly bumpy road surfaces. A "click" or "thunk" when going from accel to regen as you describe sounds like a totally different thing. Unfortunately Teslas make a lot of unwanted noises. :(

Brian

Reactions: jcpetit