Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @dougpy - I'll have to check the part number on my air struts next time I get a chance to see if it's different... BTW, noise still gone?

@tkizzy the noise you described sounds very different, both in character and situation. The air suspension issue we've been discussing sounds almost like racquetballs jiggling around in a hopper. Like a "bobbling" or knocking sound, when driving at steady, low speed on slightly bumpy road surfaces. A "click" or "thunk" when going from accel to regen as you describe sounds like a totally different thing. Unfortunately Teslas make a lot of unwanted noises. :(

Brian
Gotcha, different severity of suspension failures, lucky I took it in or maybe would have ended up with the broken piece of suspension. i Would say that (knocking issue resolved) the drive/suspension feel incredibly tight/smooth.

Reactions: bwherry
I just want to stop by and provide an update on my suspension rattling issue, if this information is helpful to anyone. Two years ago, I went to Tesla Service Center and notified them of the clunking, bobbling, and rattling arising from the front suspension going roughly 15-30 mph. Service center then installed an updated air spring module (1067361-77-C), which worked for a few weeks, and then the noise returned. I lived with it for quite some time. But recently, I went back to Tesla and requested service again. This time, service center acknowledged the issue, stating the noise is a normal for that model S, but to help reduce this noise, they installed updated Shock Tower Braces. As of right now, after a few weeks of driving, noise is still virtually gone. Fingers crossed this is more or less a permanent solution.

I just want to stop by and provide an update on my suspension rattling issue, if this information is helpful to anyone. Two years ago, I went to Tesla Service Center and notified them of the clunking, bobbling, and rattling arising from the front suspension going roughly 15-30 mph. Service center then installed an updated air spring module (1067361-77-C), which worked for a few weeks, and then the noise returned. I lived with it for quite some time. But recently, I went back to Tesla and requested service again. This time, service center acknowledged the issue, stating the noise is a normal for that model S, but to help reduce this noise, they installed updated Shock Tower Braces. As of right now, after a few weeks of driving, noise is still virtually gone. Fingers crossed this is more or less a permanent solution.
Thanks for sharing, did they put any part nr's on the invoice for the updated shock tower braces?

Reactions: bwherry
Good luck with the strut tower braces, I'm quite sure your noise will return... My rattle came back after a short while, they did a bunch of things (firewall spot welds, strut tower braces, sway bar end links) and said it was the air shock upper mounts again and they wouldn't replace them again. So I replaced the car. My car was $193K+tax and they told me too bad, live with it until there is an updated part. Way to keep your long term customers...

I changed my front air struts with the Arnott AS-3380 and no more rattles.
It's been 2 months and 2000 kilometers and so far everything is smooth and silent ;)
Visually, these air struts seem better made than the Tesla ones (Thicker cylinder, stronger rubber). Garage had a very good impression on them (first time they installed them)
A slight issue is that the front of our Tesla is a bit lower than the back. Garage said because they are new and they should level off.

I changed my front air struts with the Arnott AS-3380 and no more rattles.
It's been 2 months and 2000 kilometers and so far everything is smooth and silent ;)
Visually, these air struts seem better made than the Tesla ones (Thicker cylinder, stronger rubber). Garage had a very good impression on them (first time they installed them)
A slight issue is that the front of our Tesla is a bit lower than the back. Garage said because they are new and they should level off.

Ooooh, that's great to know, @jcpetit ! Keep us posted on the front-being-lower/leveling issue. I assume the garage wasn't able to attempt any kind of calibration of the ride height? Seems like that's something only Tesla can do...

I wonder if our friends at @UnpluggedP would be able to do any ride height calibration after installation, if necessary? Maybe you guys have thoughts on the quality/longevity/etc. of Arnott products as well? TIA!

Brian

I have a slight rattle in the front when going over rough roads. Have had it for a while.
However, what's most concerning to me right now is sometimes when I hop in the car after it's been parked for a while and I can see the driver's side front raise like it has deflated while the car was parked. I hear the air pump briefly and the front right of the car raises and levels. It does this in a second or two which is really nice, but it has me worried I have a leak there.... mostly because it is only that one corner that seems to fall? Any thoughts from the group on that? Still under warranty but 50k is coming up fast.

I wanted to drop in an update. After nearly 40K of driving, the rattle is coming back (replacement done at ~80K). They ended up replacing my front struts again after I complained of a random deeper sound issue from the front. Now at 122K and out of warranty, I can hear a metallic rattle at lower speeds in the front driver side again.

I have a refreshed 2017 75D with smart air suspension and only 2K miles. I recently notice some strange noise coming from the front suspension. The noise (which like clink-clunk/click-clunk, like something is loose) is most noticeable when I slowly going over speed bumps. I took the car to the service center in Costa Mesa, CA to have it looked at. I did a ride along with a technician and was able to easily reproduce the noise. I left the car at the service center (SC) for them to further investigate.

Later that day i received a call from SC informing me that what I'm hearing is a known issue specific to dual motor with smart air suspension. The problem comes from the front struts. They said other customers have brought up the same issue in the past, they replaced the struts and the problem comes back a couple of weeks later. They said Tesla engineer are aware of the issue, but no ETA on when/if a fix will be available.

Was wondering if any one else are experiencing this and have gotten some explanation/fix for the issue.
I have the same problem with my 2013 model S P85+. Brought it to Tesla service and they couldn't find anything. I even open everything on the front to check but couldn't find anything. Sounded like suspension problem?

Just a quick update on the Arnott AS-3380. It's been more than 3 months now and they are great!
No more weird noise from the front struts. Very Happy ;)
Even Tesla SC noticed the improved ride and noise ;)
I'm planning to get the rear ones as I think one is starting to leak air ;(

• Informative
Reactions: Eriksc
Just a quick update on the Arnott AS-3380. It's been more than 3 months now and they are great!
No more weird noise from the front struts. Very Happy ;)
Even Tesla SC noticed the improved ride and noise ;)
I'm planning to get the rear ones as I think one is starting to leak air ;(
That's GREAT to hear! Thanks for the update, @jcpetit ! BTW, how is the front ride height now? Has it returned to normal? Any Tesla SC intervention required for ride height calibration etc.?

Does anyone know if the Arnott AS-3380 would work on my December build 2014 P85+? I have the same low speed suspension rattle from the front left area. Service center looked at it and suggested a new air shock would solve it, but I was hoping to avoid the $900 cost and potentially have the issue return. They did not see anything else loose or any other concerns and I have replaced the stabilizer bar links with no change in noise.

Does anyone know if the Arnott AS-3380 would work on my December build 2014 P85+? I have the same low speed suspension rattle from the front left area. Service center looked at it and suggested a new air shock would solve it, but I was hoping to avoid the $900 cost and potentially have the issue return. They did not see anything else loose or any other concerns and I have replaced the stabilizer bar links with no change in noise.
I looked on the Arnoot website and didn't find any AS-3380 for Tesla Model S before 2016.
You might ask Arnott, they always answered to my questions ;)

Another update on the Arnott struts.
Well, a little more than a week ago, I decided to change the rear ones for the Arnott AS-3381.
Our Tesla Model S feels now more responsive, has less road noise and has a smoother ride. It just feels more robust and best of all, no more weird noise from the suspensions...
Very happy with the results, it feels like a brand new car! Not bad for a Tesla Model S 2016 with AP1 ;)
Let see how they handle in the long run, but I feel pretty confident as the struts look very well made.

My EV garage told me that the Arnott Struts are made by Continental.
Interestingly, at first, Tesla was using Continental for the Model S and then switched to Firestone.

Attachments

• Arnott_Continental.PNG
    Arnott_Continental.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 675
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White