Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I called the SC today and spoke to the chef of service. He explained that there are currently 2 possible sources of the issue:
The steering rack or the shock tower braces.
In my case they will focuss on the shock tower braces and there is a 50/50 chance that this will resolve it.
They would not share the service bulletin with me when I asked them however he was willing to explain a bit more technical what was the content.
Basically they say the shock tower braces are a part of the carrying structure of the car and they take care of the stiffness.
It seems there is some torsion on these parts that are producing the noices. They will modifiy this part (so not replace it) with some rivets.
Doing this should alter the torsion areas and remove the sound.
They will know directly after doing the modification if it resolved the issue. In case it did not they will have to order the steering rack and replace this.

It is now confirmed that they will do this during my first regular 20K km service visit that is scheduled for 09/07.

I will keep you informed on the outcome.

Thank you so much for keeping this thread updated. This is so much needed.

Do you think it would be possible for tecnicians to share an insight of the solution similar to
and if not video then drawings and comments? Also in relation to the elements in US20120169023A1 - Vehicle Front Shock Tower - Google Patents ?

Thank you! :)

I left my car for service last Friday and the tech at Fremont service center was well aware of this rattle. He mentioned that this is caused by the air suspension modules. As per him, there is no fix for it yet and Tesla is trying to get continental to come up with a solution and fix it.

Interesting. I'm still on the sidelines here debating on what to do (schedule SC visit or wait until someone here posts a solution).

I left my car for service last Friday and the tech at Fremont service center was well aware of this rattle. He mentioned that this is caused by the air suspension modules. As per him, there is no fix for it yet and Tesla is trying to get continental to come up with a solution and fix it.
Can you ask your SC to come out with a more specific details of the problem? What is inhibiting this process now? I had no idea this was Continental whose air modules are used... Why is this only an issue for Dual motor vehicles?

Hmm... I was under the impression the air suspension units in my car were Mercedes units... perhaps made by Continental?

It has nothing to do with air suspension as many cars with coils have the same rattle. There is a TSB out for the repair process.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dragetreneren
I got the same rattle in our Model S March 2018 after 2000 km's. Brought it to the SC and they replaced both front struts (Air suspension modules) after 10.000 km's. Now the car is quiet en feels much stiffer than before. My guess is that there are some bad struts around. Maybe a faulty batch or something. Let them replace the struts and the noise is gone. I have read all the post and saw multiple videos of the rattle and I was pretty sure our car was affected with the rattle all you guys have (Wobbling sound when driving slowly over unpaved roads).

I asked them to replace the struts because a friend of mine has a totally smooth Model S without rattles which is one month older then our Model S. So this gives the idea that there are cars around which are quiet right away from the factory.

Changing the struts changed the whole experience of driving in the car. Loving it!

I got the same rattle in our Model S March 2018 after 2000 km's. Brought it to the SC and they replaced both front struts (Air suspension modules) after 10.000 km's. Now the car is quiet en feels much stiffer than before. My guess is that there are some bad struts around. Maybe a faulty batch or something. Let them replace the struts and the noise is gone. I have read all the post and saw multiple videos of the rattle and I was pretty sure our car was affected with the rattle all you guys have (Wobbling sound when driving slowly over unpaved roads).

I asked them to replace the struts because a friend of mine has a totally smooth Model S without rattles which is one month older then our Model S. So this gives the idea that there are cars around which are quiet right away from the factory.

Changing the struts changed the whole experience of driving in the car. Loving it!

Very insightful! Thank you so much for the update. I’m going to call to make an appointment and mention the struts being at fault possibly.

I’m guessing the people who have the rattle have the firestone ones right? I know there was a pattern going around.

Last edited:
Hmm... I was under the impression the air suspension units in my car were Mercedes units... perhaps made by Continental?
To correct myself.. I went back and found on Otmar's project blog where he compared the price of the air struts from Tesla to the price MBZ charges... I incorrectly assumed/remembered them to be MBZ. There's no direct statement they are... just more expensive than them :(

Sharky114, I'm wondering what version of the Model S you have? Thank you...

OP keep mentioning continental air shocks but my 12-17 MS has Firestone stickers on them as OP pics have shown earlier in thread. I have no engineering experience but seems to me the shock does not pressurize properly at low speeds or shortly after starting. I can’t otherwise reconcile how it goes away under all other conditions.

OP keep mentioning continental air shocks but my 12-17 MS has Firestone stickers on them as OP pics have shown earlier in thread. I have no engineering experience but seems to me the shock does not pressurize properly at low speeds or shortly after starting. I can’t otherwise reconcile how it goes away under all other conditions.
Interesting theory, and backed up by my experience that the suspension feels harsh when the rattle is the loudest. When suspension feels comfy, the rattle is usually not there. And yes, all in standard setting. The rattle is also less prominent in high and extra high.

Mine is so bad I took it in again recently, and they still say nothing is possible for a fix, and that the issue is a noise tolerance that's different in EVs than what the part is made for.

I call BS on that. My wife and I bought her a new BMW last night and it's solid, and silent.

Between this rattle and the sound of the AC on high, this car feel like it was put together by hobbyists, and both issues are claimed as being built for ICE cars, we just hear it better. So not true.

I call BS on that. My wife and I bought her a new BMW last night and it's solid, and silent.

Yeah I knew something was legitimately off with my car (and not just regular road noise) when I was given a loaner vehicle (for a different service issue) and I noticed how dead silent it is, even going over unpaved roads and bumps. You hear that low end road noise which is normal and nothing in that mid-high frequency range of this rattle we are talking about. I scheduled an appointment for this Tuesday, so I'll provide updates unless someone else does.

Mine is so bad I took it in again recently, and they still say nothing is possible for a fix, and that the issue is a noise tolerance that's different in EVs than what the part is made for.

Between this rattle and the sound of the AC on high, this car feel like it was put together by hobbyists, and both issues are claimed as being built for ICE cars, we just hear it better. So not true.

I agree. I picked up my wife and her friend last night, the first time this friend had been in a Tesla, and after she had oohd and aahd about the size of the screen etc. the conversation waned and I could clearly hear the rattle in the background. I find it highly embarrassing. I want to feel proud of my car and I don't at the moment.

I listen to Tesla podcasts and every time I hear of one of Elon's new ideas, like putting rockets on the new roadster, it frustrates me. I believe in Elon's vision of doing things that are better for the planet and I absolutely love my car, but I think it's time for them to stop behaving like a scale-up. Fix the foundations of this amazing company first.