Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a mid 2017 75D on coils that's suffering from the same noise. It's been in half a dozen times now and the diagnosis given sounds very similar to those above. It's had its strut braces changed twice (not the struts themselves) to no avail, but if it is the steering rack as mentioned above, no wonder that didn't fix it.

Just to add my own description of the sound, to me it's almost identical to the time I had a shock absorber bush perish, allowing the eye at the top of the damper to rattle around over small-but-high-magnitude bumps, causing this damped rattle noise. Turning the stereo up to 11 helps, but it's still immensely annoying if the car is quiet and ruins the Tesla hush-hush atmos...

@CaliSol Im also very frustrated with how Tesla is handling this issue. It seemed to be a known issue and is quite widespread, yet there is no other communication on it other than "it's been sent to engineering". Given that they are so busy with Model 3, Semi, Model Y, etc...I also don't feel like this is a priority and is not going to be resolved anytime soon.

Currently I'm still waiting for feedback from the Service Manager (Ian Klumpp) from Costa Mesa SC. The last communication I had with Ian was over three weeks ago. He was going to get more details from his technician and escalate if necessary.

By the way, another discussion on this has popped up on the Tesla Forum: 2017 Model S Air Strut vibrations | Tesla.

I have a refreshed 2017 75D with smart air suspension and only 2K miles. I recently notice some strange noise coming from the front suspension. The noise (which like clink-clunk/click-clunk, like something is loose) is most noticeable when I slowly going over speed bumps. I took the car to the service center in Costa Mesa, CA to have it looked at. I did a ride along with a technician and was able to easily reproduce the noise. I left the car at the service center (SC) for them to further investigate.

Later that day i received a call from SC informing me that what I'm hearing is a known issue specific to dual motor with smart air suspension. The problem comes from the front struts. They said other customers have brought up the same issue in the past, they replaced the struts and the problem comes back a couple of weeks later. They said Tesla engineer are aware of the issue, but no ETA on when/if a fix will be available.

Was wondering if any one else are experiencing this and have gotten some explanation/fix for the issue.
Sounds like you have an explaination for the issue. Sounds like they are working on a fix. Other than the annoyance of the noise, probably not a problem. They'll call you when they have a fix.

Hi,

I have the exact same noise coming from my december 2017 model s 75d.
The car went to the service center 3 times for this issue.
They replaced these parts on the 2nd visit:
Correctie: Shock Tower Brace - Pair
Replaced Shock Tower Brace - Pair
Asy-Shock Tower Brace,LH LHD (1064610-00-D)
Asy-Shock Tower Brace,RH LHD (1064611-00-B)

But it was not resolved.
On the 3rd visit they said the issue was definitely coming from the shock tower brace. They had some monitoring device connected them and were able to confirm. When they removed them and made a testdrive the car was silent. Apparently they started using a newer model somewhere in september and this is causing the issue. No fix so far.

Rgds,

Jeroen

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
My October 2017 build S100D has this same issue. I took it there, rode along with a technician and reproduced the issue. I left the car there and they were able to reproduce / diagnose the issue. No fix yet, as they don't have the parts... ETA 4-8 weeks. Here's the report I got from them when I picked the car this Monday:

Concern: Customer: Rattle coming from front of car when going over bumpy roads.
Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis
Verified concern. Inspected vehicle. Test drove vehicle with chassis ears. Found noise
coming from front air springs and is less evident with strut braces removed. This issue is
currently under investigation.​

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
Just received the following email from Tesla executive care. Nothing new. No solution yet.

Thank you for reaching out to us here at Tesla. I definitely can understand your concern about the noise present in your vehicle, and am happy to help address your concerns in this matter.

Looking into this, I have confirmed the issue you reported is something Tesla's engineers are working on, and I have escalated your concerns to see what options we have to prioritize this. While I don't have an estimated time when a solution will be available, I can assure you that the right people are working to address the issue, and once a solution is available we will of course work with you to resolve it.

We sincerely appreciate your patience in this matter, and I'll be certain to keep you updated of any new information I receive.

Best Regards,

Received a second email from tesla today! They’re confirming the issue is with a third-party manufactured part (I’m assuming it’s the strut brace, based on the posts in this forum). Here’s the email:

I've received an update about this, and unfortunately we simply do not have an estimated time to provide you when a solution will be finalized for this. It appears we have narrowed the focus to a specific part supplied by a third-party manufacturer, and we are working together with them to identify the root cause before we can move forward with a resolution.

I recognize this may not be the answer you were hoping for, and I wish I had better news for you, however please rest assured that we are working to resolve this and your Service team will be kept informed of progress that is made.

At Tesla we are committed to providing the best ownership experience possible, including resolving issues that may come up from time to time. We appreciate you letting us know about your concerns in this issue, as it helps us identify opportunities for us moving forward.

Thank you again for reaching out, and for owning a Tesla!

Best Regards,

Received a second email from tesla today! They’re confirming the issue is with a third-party manufactured part (I’m assuming it’s the strut brace, based on the posts in this forum). Here’s the email:

I've received an update about this, and unfortunately we simply do not have an estimated time to provide you when a solution will be finalized for this. It appears we have narrowed the focus to a specific part supplied by a third-party manufacturer, and we are working together with them to identify the root cause before we can move forward with a resolution.

I recognize this may not be the answer you were hoping for, and I wish I had better news for you, however please rest assured that we are working to resolve this and your Service team will be kept informed of progress that is made.

At Tesla we are committed to providing the best ownership experience possible, including resolving issues that may come up from time to time. We appreciate you letting us know about your concerns in this issue, as it helps us identify opportunities for us moving forward.

Thank you again for reaching out, and for owning a Tesla!

Best Regards,

My my perspective thats a very reasonable answer - better than many manuf. that just ignore the problem for years, then finally issue a bulletin, but don't tell anyone. Or said another way, this at least inspires confidence that it might get fixed.

I'm struggling with the same issue MS 100D 1dec17. SC is helpful but Tesla is not offering any solution. I asked for a replacement by Tesla, they refuse to replace my car.

SC will try next week to find a solution to lower the noise level (so a remedy not a cure). I'll wait until that, but no solution is found i'll take legal action. Let's face it. Would this be a VW, Honda, GM it won't be tolerated. So we should not tolerate this from TESLA either !

Am I alone with this opinion ?

Mine does this too. Sept, 2017 build. I talked with my service ranger a few days ago to resolve a "12V Power Low" issue which was fixed with 2018.10.4. When I discussed this noise with him he knew of another car in his service area but said he would have to listen to it and determine if it is the same thing. He appeared to know about the strut brace being the cause. My goal was to be added to the list for the repair when it becomes available. It's a minor annoyance and goes away at 35+ MPH.

Jan 2017 S90D w/ Air suspension - I also notice a slight rattle / clunking when going very slow (.20mph) over semi-smooth pavement - just enough imperfections to cause the noise, which sounds like a loose component. The quietness of the cabin is what makes it especially annoying to me, as the car is virtually noise-free at speed.

I'll ask my SC if they have any info on this issue next visit...

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit