Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jan 2017 S90D w/ Air suspension - I also notice a slight rattle / clunking when going very slow (.20mph) over semi-smooth pavement - just enough imperfections to cause the noise, which sounds like a loose component. The quietness of the cabin is what makes it especially annoying to me, as the car is virtually noise-free at speed.

I'll ask my SC if they have any info on this issue next visit...
Mine's at Tesla for this issue right now. They've had the car for a couple weeks now "in staging area". Well, I've racked up almost a thousand miles on the loaner Model S they gave me. Will let everyone know if they actually fix it.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
245 miles my noise still has not come back! I dropped off our second MS today - they previously diagnosed it as "known problem" - today they called and said they would be replacing both front struts with revised ones. I will post when I get it back - hoping for the best.

Thanks for providing us with this feedback. It would be great news for all of us if the revised struts are available.

Is it just me, or is Tesla a little slow on this fix?

I mean, really, these are six-figure cars. Suspension noises are NEVER a good thing, especially as some can be an indicator of pending suspension failure, and that could be mean "death." Death is something I'd prefer to avoid for a long time.

Come on, Elon, get to the bottom of this ASAP please.

Thanks.

Montreal service asked me to send in a video with sound.

Same noise both of our cars have - both Sept 17 builds.

I mean, really, these are six-figure cars. Suspension noises are NEVER a good thing, especially as some can be an indicator of pending suspension failure, and that could be mean "death." Death is something I'd prefer to avoid for a long time.

Thanks.
I dont really think of it as death - we have a Mercedes GL550 and it has had all the air struts replaced twice - annoying yes but not sure if its death unless an A arm or something breaks at speed. The noises the GL made were very similar and after the second replacement the rattle has been gone for 30k miles. Not sure if it is true or not but someone told me MB and Tesla purchase the struts from the same supplier.

Thanks.
Mine has been making that noise for over a year. Some parts were thrown at it when I first brought it in but it was under "engineering review" for months and months. I escalated it a week or so ago and was told that they had narrowed it down to the struts and that a solution was in the works.

I'm struggling with the same issue MS 100D 1dec17. SC is helpful but Tesla is not offering any solution. I asked for a replacement by Tesla, they refuse to replace my car.

SC will try next week to find a solution to lower the noise level (so a remedy not a cure). I'll wait until that, but no solution is found i'll take legal action. Let's face it. Would this be a VW, Honda, GM it won't be tolerated. So we should not tolerate this from TESLA either !

Am I alone with this opinion ?
My Honda had failing strut mounts within a few thousand miles and their tech tried to tell me that it was normal for a months old car to sound like a 30 year old pickup truck. Needless to say I had to elevate my concern to get it repaired.

Aha! progress? Keep us posted please.
Well we got our second MS back on Friday - they replaced both front struts with what they called the "revised version". We have put about 80 miles on it since and guess what - the noise is back... its not as bad as it was but give it a couple days and I am sure it will reach that point.

on a side note it has not come back on our other MS - its still rattle free after 300 miles

Well we got our second MS back on Friday - they replaced both front struts with what they called the "revised version". We have put about 80 miles on it since and guess what - the noise is back... its not as bad as it was but give it a couple days and I am sure it will reach that point.

on a side note it has not come back on our other MS - its still rattle free after 300 miles

That’s a bummer. Thanks for the follow up, Moulari. Do we know whether this is an issue with all current vehicles coming out of production? Based on this thread it seems to be an issue allocated to pre-2018 units. If this is the case, I wonder if the issue is simply with parts (I doubt any significant engineering design changes took place) and Tesla’s wanting to find a low-cost solution rather than replace with new parts.

Reactions: Electric_Zen
That’s a bummer. Thanks for the follow up, Moulari. Do we know whether this is an issue with all current vehicles coming out of production? Based on this thread it seems to be an issue allocated to pre-2018 units. If this is the case, I wonder if the issue is simply with parts (I doubt any significant engineering design changes took place) and Tesla’s wanting to find a low-cost solution rather than replace with new parts.
Its got to be a parts thing - both our cars are Sep 17 builds - not sure if its true but the service writer at the SC said at some point last year they changed suppliers on the struts. This weekend I will pull of a front wheel on each car and see if the struts have the same P/N. Very odd the one of ours was fixed with a strut replacement and the other was not.