Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle/popping sound around the right front door area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I do most of the driving, I have a tough time reaching over to the right front to see where it is from exactly. I seem to hear this noise, not a rattle, but more like a small popping noise that is around the door and the B pillar area. Is there something common that I should be looking at? This noise doesn't seem to happen all the time, it seems to occur most often at low speed when I first move. The noise tends to go away after driving for a few minutes.

I had similar sound on right front passenger side. It's not rattle sound, doesn't happen all the time but only when going over insignificant bumps. I thought it was window clinking since when you open the door the window automatically goes down a little bit.

After much time searching around, I found the culprit. I'm hoping it is in your case.
check the pathetic sun visor on right side. Make sure it's click in and the flat part is snug against the suede.

hope this help
best of luck!

• Informative
Reactions: mattack4000
Since I do most of the driving, I have a tough time reaching over to the right front to see where it is from exactly. I seem to hear this noise, not a rattle, but more like a small popping noise that is around the door and the B pillar area. Is there something common that I should be looking at? This noise doesn't seem to happen all the time, it seems to occur most often at low speed when I first move. The noise tends to go away after driving for a few minutes.
Have you figured it out? Is it the sun visor?

My driver sun visor started doing this after it was replaced under warranty. Pushing on it didn't resolve the issue, but pulling it out and then putting it back in did. Never happened with the old sun visor, but occasionally comes back with the new one after I use it, with the same resolution working each time.

Hi Mattack4000,

My Model X is being finished at the Service Center now.
I had a similar creaking sound that sounded like it was coming from the FWD door.
When I was a passenger during the Service Center diagnostic test drive it sounded like it was
the passenger sun visor. It was not the passenger sun visor.
I get the car back tomorrow. I will explain the fix. It was complicated.

For me I heard the noise when the car body was in a twisting motion - like going over a speed bump
at an angle.

I will report back tomorrow...

Shawn

Hi Mattack4000,

My Model X is being finished at the Service Center now.
I had a similar creaking sound that sounded like it was coming from the FWD door.
When I was a passenger during the Service Center diagnostic test drive it sounded like it was
the passenger sun visor. It was not the passenger sun visor.
I get the car back tomorrow. I will explain the fix. It was complicated.

For me I heard the noise when the car body was in a twisting motion - like going over a speed bump
at an angle.

I will report back tomorrow...

Shawn

Hi Shawn, Did you even get this figured out? What did the SC say?

Hi BBG523,

They fixed it correctly the first time.
It was a complicated series of mis-adjusted parts.
A trim piece in the right passenger wheel well pushed on another part when the body twisted.
That pushed on another part and the resulting noise sounded like it was the passenger door.

They adjusted the trim piece and the car has been quiet since then...

I'm happy it's quiet.

Shawn