TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rattle Problem - Tesla Says they Can't Fix

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Moshne, May 30, 2018.

1. Moshne

Moshne Member

I've been having my car in and out of service with sound issues since January. The most recent two have been almost two weeks each.

Today Tesla told me they can't fix it. The sound is coming from the steering rack, and they need to redesign the part before they can replace it and have it do anything. They don't have an ETA. But I have to imagine this isn't "soon".

Has anyone else heard this?

I took delivery of my car in September. I love driving it, but the rattle has been driving me crazy. I know if I just accept it I'm going to resent things. Is it unreasonable that I expect this to be fixed?

2. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

what kind of sound is it? high pitch? is it frequent? Adding felt tapes to any surface where two plastic pieces touch could help.

3. zjfk2

zjfk2 Member

My car has so many rattles that I actually gave up

• Like x 1
  4. Hammer@OR.US

Yes, There's already a huge thread on this.
    Rattle noise coming from front air suspension

5. Moshne

Moshne Member

It's not especially high pitched, no. It almost sounds like a bottle cap or something is bouncing around. They've taken the front apart and changed several components (including the steering rack twice now) and they are pretty sure it's the rack, but that replacing it won't fix it.

I did see the front air suspension rattle thread, but I don't know that my problem is the same as that one. I'll check it out though.

6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I’m going to say that, yes, you have the same issue. Mine has been doing it for over a year and a half.

7. Don85D

Don85D Member

Packing foam into tight areas where parts can touch does work and it gave me something to do. In my case the rattle was in the vents under the dash cover. Pounding it with my fist recreated the rattle and now with dense foam packed in some areas the rattle is mostly gone. It still happens on a severe pot hole but I can live with that.

I went this route as removing and replacing the dash cover looked like a risk of more damage. Sometimes less service is better.

8. MattMatt

MattMatt Member

I'll post this just in case, my most annoying little rattle actually ended up being from the silver ring on the parking lever. That ring is just loose enough to rattle under certain road conditions. I finally put a tiny piece of tape on the back side of it and now it doesn't rattle at all. YMMV.

Matt

• Informative x 2
  9. ev-now

ev-now Member

I currently have a 2018 MS 100D loaner with air suspension. Was surprised when I drove it out of the SC to hear a rattle on the front end. Have since noticed it multiple times. I would say from your description it is the same sound - this loaner has 3K miles on it. My 2015 with air does not do this - but is also only RWD vs. the loaner which is AWD.

I suspect they are being straight with you - and IME they are very good at taking care of things they can fix - so if they have admitted there is an issue. I'd personally wait on the resolution unless you feel your states Lemon Law can help you.

10. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

My 2017 Model S has a front rattle when driving slowly over bumpy roads.

The 2012 Model S never had such a rattle. Less parts, fewer problems.