Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle Problem - Tesla Says they Can't Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having my car in and out of service with sound issues since January. The most recent two have been almost two weeks each.

Today Tesla told me they can't fix it. The sound is coming from the steering rack, and they need to redesign the part before they can replace it and have it do anything. They don't have an ETA. But I have to imagine this isn't "soon".

Has anyone else heard this?

I took delivery of my car in September. I love driving it, but the rattle has been driving me crazy. I know if I just accept it I'm going to resent things. Is it unreasonable that I expect this to be fixed?

It's not especially high pitched, no. It almost sounds like a bottle cap or something is bouncing around. They've taken the front apart and changed several components (including the steering rack twice now) and they are pretty sure it's the rack, but that replacing it won't fix it.

I did see the front air suspension rattle thread, but I don't know that my problem is the same as that one. I'll check it out though.

Packing foam into tight areas where parts can touch does work and it gave me something to do. In my case the rattle was in the vents under the dash cover. Pounding it with my fist recreated the rattle and now with dense foam packed in some areas the rattle is mostly gone. It still happens on a severe pot hole but I can live with that.

I went this route as removing and replacing the dash cover looked like a risk of more damage. Sometimes less service is better.

I currently have a 2018 MS 100D loaner with air suspension. Was surprised when I drove it out of the SC to hear a rattle on the front end. Have since noticed it multiple times. I would say from your description it is the same sound - this loaner has 3K miles on it. My 2015 with air does not do this - but is also only RWD vs. the loaner which is AWD.

I suspect they are being straight with you - and IME they are very good at taking care of things they can fix - so if they have admitted there is an issue. I'd personally wait on the resolution unless you feel your states Lemon Law can help you.