Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle, Rattle goes the headliner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my new model Y and on the ride home noticed a rattle in the front headliner when driving over rough pavement. The rattle sounds like its coming from the area to the right of the center light area and over the passenger side. The headliner is attached well, and it doesn't appear to be lose when you to grasp it. I can get the rattle to go away when you press firmly on the headliner area where the rattle is coming from. I detached the sun visor and the magnet/clip is solid, so its not that. Has anyone else had this? I have an appointment with the SC in a few days. After reading about rattles other have had, I'm keeping my expectations in check but hoping for the best.

Just picked up my new model Y and on the ride home noticed a rattle in the front headliner when driving over rough pavement. The rattle sounds like its coming from the area to the right of the center light area and over the passenger side. The headliner is attached well, and it doesn't appear to be lose when you to grasp it. I can get the rattle to go away when you press firmly on the headliner area where the rattle is coming from. I detached the sun visor and the magnet/clip is solid, so its not that. Has anyone else had this? I have an appointment with the SC in a few days. After reading about rattles other have had, I'm keeping my expectations in check but hoping for the best.
I had the same thing. Mobile service was able to fix it, but it came back after a couple months. Mine was a loose headliner clip. In the meantime, flipping open the passenger sun visor does stop it for me.

I double checked the area around the sun visor mag clip. It seems to be coming from there, but its not the source. I suspect something is lose in there; a wire clip or something else. I want to pull the front headliner down, but after watching one taken down on Youtube, I'm afraid I'll break the clips holding it in place. I'd rather the SC do it and they can order a new one if they break it. I'll check the mirror when I get a moment tomorrow.

Reactions: spdracer888
I have the exact type of rattle in my brand new 2023 RWD SR model 3.
It acts up when driving over rough pavement at speeds from 35 MPH all the way to 65 plus.
It’s driving us crazy to know we spent $42k and waited over a month to be annoyed by this persistent rattling every day 🥵

Suspected source: “middle headliner” from LH B pillar all the way through the rear seat overhead lighting and continues to the RH B pillar.
Suspected root cause: Ether a wire not in its routing clip OR broken / misaligned interior clip.

When I have time to completely remove all the headliner panels to access the center panel, I will post pictures of the gremlin when I find it 😤