Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle right rear seat back area, not the speaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 M3...Been chasing this rattle for awhile and hard to nail where the is rattle is coming from other , thought it might be an audio speaker or something but after turning the audio off to eliminate that factor, the rattle was still there. Does anyone know how to get to the area between seat back and rear window area. Thanks

Before you tear things apart. Sit in the back seat...tap on the c pillar about 1/3 way between the b pillar and the rear of that trim piece. (Near your head). If it taps back, or makes any noise then you’re welcome.

my rattle was there. Was super hard to find. But ended up being the tether that keeps that part from landing in your lap of the curtain airbags blow. pop the trim piece off, and add a little adhesive backed felt to the tether. (It will be very obvious).

Reactions: SammichLover
Posted this a while back, but one of the mods towed it to another section so nobody ever saw it:

Use Trax app to locate rattles on-demand
Thanks Dolemite, I looked around the C pillar but no luck, but my sound is coming from right around some type of hook with a plastic cover that flips up, so yes metal and plastic for sure, so I went the old school way, rubber mallet, thus far so good, but you may be on to something about expanding and contracting.

Thanks Dolemite, I looked around the C pillar but no luck, but my sound is coming from right around some type of hook with a plastic cover that flips up, so yes metal and plastic for sure, so I went the old school way, rubber mallet, thus far so good, but you may be on to something about expanding and contracting.
You might be onto something. I have a sort of slight buzz/rattle from the passenger rear area. Here are some of the places I checked:
  • Felt taped all the latch points for the rear seat backs near the handles
  • Checked the C-pillars mentioned above by @Mrcarcrazy and taped everything but no loose clips or tethers
  • Actually had the Rear seat back handles replaced because they had some play in them
  • Removed the entire rear deck to insert foam around all edges including all around the seat belt tensioner (i believe newer cars come with foam surrounding seat belt tensioner)
  • Inserted foam into the rear deck cutout (I have an old 6/18 model with the hole) and made sure it had pressure against the metal grill so it wouldn't vibrate
None of this has resolved the buzz sound i'm hearing (especially over bumps). But i started hitting the rear deck shelf and trying to listen to where any sound was coming from. I heard some noise from the seat belt latches with the plastic cover behind the seats. I thought it might've been the plastic cover hitting the metal latch below but then I drove around with all of the plastic covers flipped up so they were not making contact and it still heard the rattle noise.

I think it has something to do with that area though- just haven't figure it out yet.

So I had a similar rear right rattle sound when I first bought my M3P. It turned out to be an issue with Insufficient tightness of one of the frame bolts. I took the car to Tesla explained the problem they re-torqued all the frame bolts. That solved the problem. After 15,000 miles later I’ve had no further rattle.