Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle sound in front left tire area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only notice this when I am driving with the windows open. At the entrance to my development, there is a patch with cobblestones, it's a slight left hand turn and when I ride over it, I hear a strange light rattling sound.. it comes from the right front wheel area. I have brought it in to the service center, and they found nothing and could not replicate the sound. during an annual inspection I had them go through the suspension. The brakes are new as of about a year ago. The car has 103,000 miles on it now. Model S p85 2014 vintage. it is a rattle sound.. as if something is loose. I have had them look for it more than once, when my car is in. It was a CPO car so front end parts were already replaced 3 years ago. when they did the brakes, they didn't see anything either, . What could it be? what else would be rattling up there?

If so, this seems to be somewhat common, and there is a very long thread about it. Believed to be a design flaw where something in the strut becomes loose and rattles at low speeds. Many have had their struts replaced only to have the issue return with the new design. I was unfortunately denied, so they made no effort to fix the issue, claiming it's normal.

If not, sorry, I'm not sure.

If so, this seems to be somewhat common, and there is a very long thread about it. Believed to be a design flaw where something in the strut becomes loose and rattles at low speeds. Many have had their struts replaced only to have the issue return with the new design. I was unfortunately denied, so they made no effort to fix the issue, claiming it's normal.

If not, sorry, I'm not sure.

thank you, I am out of warranty anyway. maybe it's something up above the wheel in the fender area. I have air suspension and it seems to be working ok.

i just got my car back from tesla for the same issue
i had this in 3 times
This time they replaced just about every bushing
the front air struts
and still nothing
they removed the front cover and found i had a broken front frunk latch
Thank god for Warranty
best thing now is my 90000 mile car has all new bushings and struts
Good Luck with your journey

I had the same rattle on my P85D as well and only over cobblestone type patches. For me, the issue ended up being the wheel bearing. I was still under warranty at the time, but it’s a pretty straightforward job. They replaced both sides and car was silent again.
Since you’ve exhausted other suspension bits, this could be your fix.

I had the same rattle on my P85D as well and only over cobblestone type patches. For me, the issue ended up being the wheel bearing. I was still under warranty at the time, but it’s a pretty straightforward job. They replaced both sides and car was silent again.
Since you’ve exhausted other suspension bits, this could be your fix.
very interesting.. you would think that they would check that. It may be that I asked to check the suspension and mentioned the sound and they couldn't find anything wrong or out of normal for the age of the car. thanks.. I will have them check that out

i just got my car back from tesla for the same issue
i had this in 3 times
This time they replaced just about every bushing
the front air struts
and still nothing
they removed the front cover and found i had a broken front frunk latch
Thank god for Warranty
best thing now is my 90000 mile car has all new bushings and struts
Good Luck with your journey
wow :) checking my latch

I got my new Model S in December in Ohio so did not have an opportunity to accelerate for a week or so. As soon as I did I noticed a massive grinding. Took it in to the shop (Toledo) with less than 400 miles on the vehicle and they replaced to front shafts. This did not fix the problem and in fact now I have more issues. Took the car back in a week later and escalated the complaint to the regional manager. Upon further review they confirmed that there is an issue but they do not currently have a fix, the engineering team is on it - not happy to say the least. It is now 2 months later - I am stuck with a car that grinds every time I accelerate - even on chill mode. Regional manager (Cleveland) said I am stuck with it until they have a fix, but they have no idea when that will be. I have made no less than 25 calls to the dealership (Blue Ash - Cincinnati), engineering team and everyone else I can think of to try to get the vehicle replaced. No one will return my calls. If I had a way out from this purchase I would happily take it.

Is the outcome for most people that they have replaced the sway bars? Looks like a common issue, and easy enough DIY (hardest part is taking the wheels off). I wish I had thought to look when I took the wheels off to do the headlights!

There's a service bulletin (SB-24-10-002) for a clunk / rattle noise in that area of the car due to loose bolts on the subframe. I'm having that done on Wednesday since I have a similar noise to what's described in the bulletin. I would just tighten the bolts myself, but the procedure has an hour of disassembling / reassembling cooling stuff and seems to require draining some coolant to get to the bolts.

There's a service bulletin (SB-24-10-002) for a clunk / rattle noise in that area of the car due to loose bolts on the subframe. I'm having that done on Wednesday since I have a similar noise to what's described in the bulletin. I would just tighten the bolts myself, but the procedure has an hour of disassembling / reassembling cooling stuff and seems to require draining some coolant to get to the bolts.
you can inform me after the service? Thanks