Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattles and Creaking going over bumps.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I drive over bumpy roads, I have terrible rattling and creaking from what appears to be the passenger door and rear seats. I have checked everything and for the life of me can not find where it is coming from.

Anyone else experience this?

I get a subtle creak from the right rear area whenever I go over a bug bump, or start up a steep driveway, at an angle leading with the left front tire. I assume this is just a bit of body flex as I put most of the weight on the two corners. Is this something other experience?

Yes, I'm having the same sounds but from both sides.

Mine seem to be coming from above the seat belt attachment on both the passenger and drivers side. Not just on bumpy roads, but roads that aren't smooth.

The last time I was at the SC, the tech drove the car on smooth roads so I couldn't reproduce it.

This is unacceptable for a $75k car. I'm going to call and get a remote guy to come out and drive the car on roads around here so it'll be easy to reproduce.

Same here. I narrowed mine down to the rear door on the drivers side and the area below the rear window on the passengers side. For the door, nothing that can be done about it by myself without taking off some panels.

For the rear window area, I have pinpointed the sound to where the large shelf covering the trunk meets up with the plastic side panel. Pressing in on where they meet pretty much eliminates the rattle. This is what happens when you use plastic for panels. When it gets cold the plastic contracts and will shift during movement causing these rattles. During the summer, the plastic expands resulting in a tighter fit and less noise.

• Informative
Reactions: badiban and RBowen
I have a clacking noise that emanates somewhere in the back. My son sits in the back and claims it's coming from behind him, and it's on his side (driver's side). At times it sounds like a loose cable bumping into the chassis here and there, but on turns, the single clacking noises turn into more of a creaking sound. Wondering if it's a suspension issue.

I had this too on the drive home from picking up my m3. I never experienced it again and I'm fairly confident it's the front passenger seat belt buckle rattling around. Has it happened with a passenger in the front?

I've noticed a creaking noise while wiping down the car today. The rear bumper cover portion that wraps around the passenger side has a creaking noise as I pressed on it. I wonder if this is contributing to the noise.
I have this too and attribute it to Tesla not perfecting body fitment and alignment techniques.

Another noise on mine and others I’ve driven is the top of the steering wheel column. The plastic is hard and thin causing it to flex and creak.

The driver side seat belt height adjustment area is well known too.

This probably belongs here: HACK FIX: Noise from loose wheel well liner, at high speed

I still get a couple rattles from really nasty lumps. Usually that's something I've stashed in my console, and rearranging that will make it go away. I have very few things in there, these days. :) Just a pair of gloves, the a microfibre for the screen, and a bottle of glasses cleaning fluid wrapped up in the microfibre.

There's one noise I didn't mention in the above on those nasty lumps coming from somewhere mid-front but it's very hard to reproduce at this point, so mostly drowned out by tire noise of whatever is abuse I'm subjecting my car to. So I've not tried to chase it yet, I'm busy dealing with wind noise quibbles. ;)

Same thing here... We have to find a solution to fix this issue!

That was like mine. They fixed it... We had a very patient NVR drive with a technician... Taking as long as needed for them to hear all the noises.

They essentially tightened some screws/bolts and put some material in spaces... Like my door pocket to jam between the panel and stop it moving. Sounds like a low-rent approach, but I don't see it and it's fixed most of the issues