TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rattles coming from brakes

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Perrin21, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Perrin21

Perrin21 Member

Does anyones car suffer from a rattle coming from the front brakes? Any ideas how this can be sorted? Its similar to the one i had on my grass which was fixed by removing the wheels and greasing between the wheel and the hubs. Anyone tried this?

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Most likely the brake quiet goo came off the back of the pad that meets the caliper and piston. If that bond brakes the pad shakes. There's also a spring / clip that Lotus has in there that's an anti-rattle mechanism, but from my experience that doesn't work at all. You'll need to pull the pads off, clean everything up nice, and re-apply the brake quietl goo.

I recommend the non-spray type below. After swapping to new Carbotech pads I tried the spray, which is similar to what OEM used and after a few months the bond broke away on one pad which started rattling. Stock brakes still? If you're in there that deep I'd highly recommend putting Carbotech pads on.

Amazon.com: CRC Disc Brake Quiet 05016, 4 Fl Oz: Automotive

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The rattles happen because Lotus leaves a little room for pad expansion when hot. The OEM brake pads have flexible pads on the back of the brake pad to prevent the rattle.

There's an outfit in the UK that sells anti-rattle pads that self-stick to the back of the brake pads. But they're just little pieces of 3M 468MP tape. You can buy a whole roll of the stuff from DigiKey Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor for $5, part number 1/2-5-468MP.

• Helpful x 1
  4. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

I have the Carbotech AX6 pads and I kept having trouble with the goo bond breaking -- especially after track days. I finally went with some rubber shims and that works well.

5. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

I have had this problem with the Carbotech. Next time I replace them (when I have the custom slotted rotors I got a year ago installed), I will find out if these help.

Anti rattle brake pad buffer

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Just get the tape I referenced. It's the same stuff and cheap.