TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rattling coming from B pillar?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chanmanx2k, Apr 13, 2018.

1. chanmanx2k

chanmanx2k New Member

Anyone experience some noise rattling from the B pillar somewhere? My audio system or subwoofer must be vibrating something loose in that area but I don't know where it is coming from

2. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Is it your passenger side seatbelt buckle? Mine sometimes rattles on the B-pillar if it's caught slightly sideways between the pillar and seat. I just straighten it out and it's fine. Took me a while to figure that one out! Heard others say the same thing happens to them.

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  3. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

FYI: My 2020 had the slight rattle in the B-pillar at highway speeds. Mobile service just repaired it with an updated part.

4. MMMGP

MMMGP Member

Same here, my 2018 has the same b pillar buzzing which is very noticeable when driving on the highways. I've narrowed it down to the seat belt height adjuster on the b pillar. I'll add this to my next round of repairs for the mobile service folks.

• Informative x 1
  5. Skione65

Skione65 Active Member

@XLR82XS,

Did that fix the issue? No more buzzing/rattles?

Ski

6. Lunares

Lunares Member

When I went to service they said it was common and easily fixed. and would also cost me 2 hours labor since I was past the "rattle" warranty which is apparently only 1 year.

7. devilmountain

devilmountain Member

Here is a video to stop this rattle.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. MMMGP

MMMGP Member

Thanks!

9. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

FYI, I did not find that this actually fixed the issue. It's an easy thing to try, but my rattle is coming from something else there...

• Like x 1
  10. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Yep. No buzzing for me, just a VERY SLIGHT clicking only heard over 70mph and when my ear was close to the seat-belt adjuster. This is with all windows up and audio off.

• Like x 2
  11. Skione65

Skione65 Active Member

Just realized I’m a 2018 and don’t know if Mobile will retro mine according to a previous post but I’ll attempt it. Didnt realize they actually had a revised part for it. They’ve been just putting felt tape in there in an attempt to fix it from what I’ve read.

Ski

12. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

No it did not fix the noise 100%. Clicking still present but very faint and you have to hold you ear against the B-pillar to hear it with silence in the cabin.
    Beyond that there were a couple highway-speed noises pinpointed by a mobile tech today. Loose panel at the rear just behind the bumper. Tech installed foam in that area plus at the plastic underneath both rocker panels.

13. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

*5/5/20 UPDATE* Car was at SC for axle clicking. B-pillar clicking/fluttering been getting progressively worse over the last couple months including rattle from the bottom of the panel over rough pavement ~40-50mph. It's now heard at lower speeds where before it was highway only (70+mph). SC telling me they can't hear anything and I'm fed up. The car literally has no other rattling issues. I plan to take it apart and use foam tape, etc... and see how that does. Very upsetting .......

14. jpfive

jpfive Supporting Member

Sometimes it helps to be an old fighter pilot. I wouldn't hear that in a hundred years.

• Funny x 2
  15. StarHunter

StarHunter Member

Folks, I have had a buzzing noise coming from driver side B-pillar (maybe passenger side as well now after 6k miles). Does not always happen and really depend on road surface and frequency that gets transferred from tire -> suspension -> frame -> trim?. I did some felt tape and applied some trim dressing 3 weeks ago and now the buzz is coming back...will try a more durable dressing this time. Will update back if I am successful on resolving the issue :)

16. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

*B-pillar noise solved* 1" foam tape on the edge of the wheel liner where it contacts the fender. No more ticking noise at higher speeds.

• Like x 1
  17. Massive Attack

Would you be able to post a couple photos from your fix? Or at least of the area?

TIA!

18. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

I have some occasional buzzing also. It doesn't bother me.

19. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

liner.jpg
    Not my car but same idea. I ran the foam tape up higher until the gap tightened about the height of where the camera/repeater is.

20. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

That buzzing is most likely the seat-belt height adjuster - plastic on plastic slide. Both my 3 have never had that issue.
    There could be buzzing from the pillar mounting tabs and the foam tape on those will certainly help remedy that.