Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling from dash AC fan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did when I first got the car but only when I turn the fan on to maximum. It sounds like the fan is hitting a flap of paper or something. However, it does seem to be quieter now. I never had it looked at by Tesla because I hardly ever use it, but now that it’s warming up I might be using the AC more so we’ll see if it’s better or worse.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Well I finally solved the rattle on mine, took it to SC and they added sound deadening, did a few other things and said I was good. Week later had the driver side rattle again that I swear was coming from the dash... close but it was plastic steering column making the rattle.
Haven’t “fixed”’it yet since I was driving today and randomly grabbed it to find out that was the cause.

It's not your fan. There are some QC stickers in the vent that become unstuck over time and flap around when you turn the AC on. All you need to do it pry up the wood/white dash trim to access this area. It's not worth taking to the SC for as this is a quick fix.
I have a similar issue but only when i go over 70 in the highway it sounds like a rustle or flapping of some kind with the wind. I've looked everywhere! Any insight?

It's not your fan. There are some QC stickers in the vent that become unstuck over time and flap around when you turn the AC on. All you need to do it pry up the wood/white dash trim to access this area. It's not worth taking to the SC for as this is a quick fix.
Thank you! I had this exact problem with my 2023 M3P. Removing the dash trim was kind of a pain, but not as bad as waiting for a month, then leaving the car at the service center for however long it takes them to get around to it. Especially for something so... 🤦‍♂️

20230426_152805.jpg

@rexus31 any updates? I have r the same issue from the right. Any confirmation on the QC sticker issue mentioned or some other cause?
This was the case in mine.

Thank you! I had this exact problem with my 2023 M3P. Removing the dash trim was kind of a pain, but not as bad as waiting for a month, then leaving the car at the service center for however long it takes them to get around to it. Especially for something so... 🤦‍♂️

View attachment 932210

Never mind, it came back soon after. Maybe the "high" setting in the menu wasn't fast enough to produce the noise when I tested it after snapping the trim back on, or maybe the sticker came back off. I know this is an old thread, but I'll still follow up when I have more time to figure it out, since it could be a helpful reference for others. This is clearly a recurring issue affecting many model years.

Mine has the same flappy label sound from the passenger side when the fan is blowing on high/max. Its soo ANNOYING! Every time I've taken my car to Tesla and try to get it to make the sound, the car just spontaneously decides it doesn't want to do it, so they won't attempt any fix. It seems to only happen without someone from Tesla sitting in my car lol. 22 M3P.

Mine has the same flappy label sound from the passenger side when the fan is blowing on high/max. Its soo ANNOYING! Every time I've taken my car to Tesla and try to get it to make the sound, the car just spontaneously decides it doesn't want to do it, so they won't attempt any fix. It seems to only happen without someone from Tesla sitting in my car lol. 22 M3P.
Hmm. I wonder if this is the same rattle I get when the HVAC first turns on. I get a light rattle from in the dash that settles after about a minute. Could definitely be a small piece of paper based on the noise.

View attachment 932210

You guys are the best! Took all of 5 minutes to fix and it saved me $152 quoted by Tesla.