Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling from dash AC fan

Callawayc7

Oct 4, 2019
California
I did when I first got the car but only when I turn the fan on to maximum. It sounds like the fan is hitting a flap of paper or something. However, it does seem to be quieter now. I never had it looked at by Tesla because I hardly ever use it, but now that it’s warming up I might be using the AC more so we’ll see if it’s better or worse.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Mar 19, 2019
California
It's not your fan. There are some QC stickers in the vent that become unstuck over time and flap around when you turn the AC on. All you need to do it pry up the wood/white dash trim to access this area. It's not worth taking to the SC for as this is a quick fix.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ry3n and Callawayc7

Rippin1Gear

Feb 7, 2020
Seattle
Well I finally solved the rattle on mine, took it to SC and they added sound deadening, did a few other things and said I was good. Week later had the driver side rattle again that I swear was coming from the dash... close but it was plastic steering column making the rattle.
Haven’t “fixed”’it yet since I was driving today and randomly grabbed it to find out that was the cause.

James88

May 16, 2019
Orlando, Fl
It's not your fan. There are some QC stickers in the vent that become unstuck over time and flap around when you turn the AC on. All you need to do it pry up the wood/white dash trim to access this area. It's not worth taking to the SC for as this is a quick fix.
I have a similar issue but only when i go over 70 in the highway it sounds like a rustle or flapping of some kind with the wind. I've looked everywhere! Any insight?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC