Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling Noise 2020 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 model S is about 8 weeks old and it’s been in the SC shop for 6. Latest in the string of manufacturer defects ranging from handle issues to poor glass install is — rattling noise. Small bumpy roads and it sounds like I am riding in an expensive tuna can.

Rattling noise related SC visit 1 - replaced parts of suspension to no luck. Even though I was told all solved the issue is still there.

Rattling Noise SC visit 2 - field services tech came out, apparently adjusted a few settings with developers assistance. Noise still there. The message from Field tech the noise is within acceptable tolerance for this year model.....

Rattling Noise SC visit 3 - test drove same year MS at the SC without any noise to prove that something is not right. SC acknowledged that something is different promised to escalate.

Anyone with similar experience? Any recommendations on next steps? I am not a picky guy and this this my second MS (drove 2016 model for 3 years), so I know something is off. SC offered an option to open the case to review for potential buy back. Any recommendations? TIA.

Buyback is a tricky thing since they might ban you from buying at Tesla again.

I would keep banging their doors until you find the right person, happened to me too - one tech said everything would be OK, the next one fortunately heard the issue I was bugged with in my S.

Good luck!

Reactions: Shurik97
Have them check the ball joints. I have a slight noise when going over small bumps and that’s what I was told it was by a local mechanic. He said it’s safe to drive since the wear is minor. Will have Tesla fix it when I bring it in to the SC before my warranty expires this summer.

Also I initially had a rattle that ended up being the passenger seatbelt buckle that was hitting the side of the seat. Some felt stickers took care of that.

Reactions: Shurik97
i've got an Oct 19 with a funny rubbery rattle when going over small bumps. seems worse in the cold, but it's hard to tell since I've only had a few warm days since I got it. I also had a 2016 MS and it never had the noise. SC couldn't fix it, and they HAD fixed a noise I had in my old MS so I think they have at least some credibility.

I'm in a rush now, but there's a thread on TMC about air suspension rattle. At the very end a post claims that it is the dampener design on the new air suspension and it's just a bad design. I think that holds water unfortunately. It's terrible

Thanks. Can you post a link to that thread when you get a chance?
i've got an Oct 19 with a funny rubbery rattle when going over small bumps. seems worse in the cold, but it's hard to tell since I've only had a few warm days since I got it. I also had a 2016 MS and it never had the noise. SC couldn't fix it, and they HAD fixed a noise I had in my old MS so I think they have at least some credibility.

I'm in a rush now, but there's a thread on TMC about air suspension rattle. At the very end a post claims that it is the dampener design on the new air suspension and it's just a bad design. I think that holds water unfortunately. It's terrible
nve