Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling noise coming from dash top pad. Not covered under warranty. DIY fix suggestion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I have been haunted by this rattling noise issue right after vehicle delivery, and used to think it's coming from the steering wheel. It happens when I drive on bumpy road with relatively low speed, and is more obvious when weather is hot.

After several service visits they were not able to reproduce it. But this time finally they reproduced and confirmed it’s from the dash top pad. Unfortunately, they said noise issues are not covered under warranty and I have to pay out of pocket (they estimated 2 hours at >$200 per hour).

I found some similar videos on YouTube about removing the dash (wood panel) and the grille (with speaker holes), but not this top pad. Any good DIY videos for how to remove it so I can play around and maybe add some cushions inside? Greatly appreciated!

BTW it's a 2019 LR AWD

Last edited:

I did as the video suggested, but with some modifications, and the noise is now fixed.

* My plastic pad is not rubbing against the white VIN plate, there's already some foam separating them, so no more foam needed there.
* It seems like nothing is loose, but the whole panel is vibrating, causing that noise. I ended up putting a high density foam at the corner, making the A pillar trim push against it when installed, therefore securing the whole panel and make the vibration stop.
* Install the clips gently. Align all of them into the holes first before pushing them down hard. You won't lose any clips if you do like this.

Hope it helps :)

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.34.24 PM.png

And this comment in that YouTube video might have shown the most appropriate fix (but with more effort, you'll need to unscrew the speaker, which is in weird location)
Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.39.39 PM.png

Last edited:

I have been haunted by this rattling noise issue right after vehicle delivery, and used to think it's coming from the steering wheel. It happens when I drive on bumpy road with relatively low speed, and is more obvious when weather is hot.

After several service visits they were not able to reproduce it. But this time finally they reproduced and confirmed it’s from the dash top pad. Unfortunately, they said noise issues are not covered under warranty and I have to pay out of pocket (they estimated 2 hours at >$200 per hour).

I found some similar videos on YouTube about removing the dash (wood panel) and the grille (with speaker holes), but not this top pad. Any good DIY videos for how to remove it so I can play around and maybe add some cushions inside? Greatly appreciated!

BTW it's a 2019 LR AWD
You ever get this fixed