Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling noise from dashboard (also when stationary)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WllXM

May 4, 2022
London
Hi,

One month into my MYLR and everything's great except that I am slightly annoyed by a strange rattling noise that happens both when I'm driving & stationary, at random times for 5-10 secs then a pause, then it starts again. It was subtle at first, but since I started noticing it, it's really irritating now...
I would best describe it like a HDD writing data coming from inside the dashboard, but I know there is no mechanical HD in the car...

What do you think it could be? And more importantly, has anybody noticed the same in his?

Audio attached if it helps (slightly enhanced).

Hello,

I have a similar noise.
once at the front left of the dashboard and another somewhere at the top right.

it sounds similar to me.

I'll try to get the fairing off and possibly insulate it with some tape (textile) and foam.

Does it change with blower speed or placement?

no, the noise is independent of it. I suspect there are some clamps which are not tight enough. possibly also dependent on the temperature. it's been getting cooler here for a few weeks (autumn) and i suspect there's a connection. When the heater is on or the sun warms up the car, it seems to me that it crackles and rattles more.

It does seem to be an electronic noise, and again it also does it when the car is at a complete stop.
It's possible that it's the HVAC system, but not sure on how I would investigate that. First I just wanted to make sure it was not only on mine and affecting others too

I understand what you mean. I also have noises, such as the HVAC or some pump/fan which is always running. I think that due to the general "quietness" compared to an ICE, it is more noticeable when electronic devices make noises and you become more sensitive as a result. Unfortunately I don't know your noise and can't say if it's the same for me.