Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling noise from seat belt tensioner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add me to the list too! It wasn't rattling for the first 3 weeks after I took delivery but it just recently started to rattling during the last few weeks now.

I think I might of adjusted the height when cleaning and I hear rattling every once in a awhile and it does kinda drive me crazy when I'm not listening to music and it's dead silence in the cabin. I'll noted this with my local SC since I have a few other small issues that need to be fixed as well.

Hi everyone. I think I have the same issue coming from my rear seat belts. Its sounds like something is loose and it rattles inside when going over big bumps. I got rear ended a month or so ago and have been going crazy about finding what is making this noise and if the accident caused it.
Now that I know its not accident related I feel much better but still would like it fixed. Please post your solutions if you find them! Thanks

Hi everyone. I think I have the same issue coming from my rear seat belts. Its sounds like something is loose and it rattles inside when going over big bumps. I got rear ended a month or so ago and have been going crazy about finding what is making this noise and if the accident caused it.
Now that I know its not accident related I feel much better but still would like it fixed. Please post your solutions if you find them! Thanks

check this: Rattle in rear (Model 3)

View attachment 317362 anyone getting a rattling noise from this area? It is intermittent but is getting worse and at times it can be very irritating as where I have my seat adjusted it is about as close as it can get to my ear, just wondering if it’s something many people noticed and if so have had the SC address it.
I had the exact same issue, so I opened up an online ticket. About a week later I was contacted by a mobile technician... we don’t have a service center anywhere close to Fresno; a problem in itself given the regional population of about 1 million. Anyhow, the guy came out and put foam padding behind the tensioner cover. Problem completely solved for four weeks so far.

I had the exact same issue, so I opened up an online ticket. About a week later I was contacted by a mobile technician... we don’t have a service center anywhere close to Fresno; a problem in itself given the regional population of about 1 million. Anyhow, the guy came out and put foam padding behind the tensioner cover. Problem completely solved for four weeks so far.
Good to know, did they disassemble the b pillar cover?

Yep, mine has the buzz on the driver side. I’ve been meaning to study where some light “padding” might help. Have not seriously considered the SC. Seems to me the belt has to be removed to replace part. No reason to believe new part would help. There’s not much to it.

Would like to know if anyone has actually gotten the buzzing fixed by Tesla?

Very annoying rattle because it is right in your ear.

Had the same issue from day one. When I moved the seat belt ajustor up on the B pillar the rattle went away. Then after driving it on rougher mountain roads for a while the rattle got louder and started doing it in the high position too. Took it to SC. They kept it for 3 weeks and said they fixed it. Took it back and at first the rattle wasn't there any more but after a few days it came back. Now its fully back but not in morning or night, only during temps of 74 and up. So it looks like it is temperature related.Took it back to SC. Haven't got it back yet. We'll see.

The best way to reproduce, if you have to show problem to tech, is to take the car on a road with lane dividers that have raised reflectors. Then drive the left side of the car over the reflectors while going 40-60 mph.

Download an app called tone generator (iOS, any app like that should work).
Turn up the volume in your car and generate 94Hz sound in the app.
You will immediately hear the rattling sound. No need to drive around to reproduce it.

Reactions: Sherlo
I have this problem too. I started the thread with about the creaking sound when the car accelerates from a stop or decelerates to stop. I also had paint issues that required two SC visits. I visited the SC a total of 3 times to get an update as it took them 13 days to fix a dust nib, small scratch and an area that looked like it had no paint or clear coat. I feel like I am there a lot for taking delivery in August. The noise is present on my car as well. I'm in the middle of talking to escalation department after they wiped my car down with a dirty rag. I got mobile service coming out whenever a taillight part comes in to replace the moisture issue.

I love this car, but it sure is having its fair share of headaches. I don't think I am having unreasonably high expectations for a car that is over $60,000.