Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling noise from the passenger side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah good, so it's not just me with some insane rattling/vibration in the car. The enter back of the car sounds like its about to fall apart. Both driver and passenger sides in the rear sound awful. Not a clue where it's coming from I did try the window trick someone mentioned in this thread but it wasn't that.
Now my front driver side near the right corner/aircon space has started rattling also, it's got to be one of the noisiest cars I've ever drove, I get there is no engine noise but I cannot stand the round of rattling it drives me mental.

On a side note does anyone have really loud/strong "Wind" noise that sounds like its coming through the windscreen when at motorway speeds? It's like a "whoosing" sound. Feel I maybe being paranoid like the windscreen isn't fitted right :(
I'm in for service on Thursday and was going to bring this up to them also.

Ah good, so it's not just me with some insane rattling/vibration in the car. The enter back of the car sounds like its about to fall apart. Both driver and passenger sides in the rear sound awful. Not a clue where it's coming from I did try the window trick someone mentioned in this thread but it wasn't that.
Now my front driver side near the right corner/aircon space has started rattling also, it's got to be one of the noisiest cars I've ever drove, I get there is no engine noise but I cannot stand the round of rattling it drives me mental.

On a side note does anyone have really loud/strong "Wind" noise that sounds like its coming through the windscreen when at motorway speeds? It's like a "whoosing" sound. Feel I maybe being paranoid like the windscreen isn't fitted right :(
I'm in for service on Thursday and was going to bring this up to them also.
I'd be interested tonhear how you get on with the wind noise. I've noticed a bit recently that sounded more like the windscreen to me but it only seems audible in a cross wind

May be of interest to search YouTube about M3 headrest removal. Though it doesn’t look like they are removable they are … and you might be able to spot the issue.
It has stopped now ever since I moved the seat back a bit. A friend had moved it forwards a few cm to give someone in the back a bit more room. Once I moved it I haven't heard a peep out of it.

Had my car into the Edinburgh SC today for the rattle. Took the guy on a test drive and he could hear it, said it sounded like the front passenger door card. I told him there was a similar sound on the drivers side so he went out with another Tesla engineer to see if they could locate that. Turns out they had to remove and perform NVH fixes on both the rear door cards and the passenger side front door card.

They also performed the insulation of the low pressure AC pipe at the compressor which he told me they had been asked to do. Not sure if this was something missed at the factory or something they have recently picked up.

I find my 2021 MIC has quite a few rattles. However when I lower the windows it stops so I told myself it’s the Windows against the seals. It is also weather/ temperature dependent as it’s worse in some days and perfectly fine on others.
Just turning up the audio nowadays as I can’t be bothered the SC to rip up the otherwise perfect interior.

I find my 2021 MIC has quite a few rattles. However when I lower the windows it stops so I told myself it’s the Windows against the seals. It is also weather/ temperature dependent as it’s worse in some days and perfectly fine on others.
Just turning up the audio nowadays as I can’t be bothered the SC to rip up the otherwise perfect interior.
If it's the windows then Gummi pflege is your friend

I have exactly the same issue with my MIC 2021 M3P. Rattles from the window area which disappear as soon as the windows are lowered. As you say also seems to vary dependent on the temperature and weather (far worse for me on a dry and warmer day).

I’ve tried the gummi pfledge trick that’s been mentioned before but it seems to make little difference unfortunately. I’ve been pondering for the last month over whether to raise it as an issue as I don’t want the car to come back with more rattles than it started with!

my passenger side rattle ended up being the passenger front wheel well plastic liner. what it seemed like it was coming from the passenger side door/a-pillar area that rattles when i was driving highway speeds was driving me crazy.

At speed, i guess the plastic liner(which is very loose compared to my other cars) was vibrating and touching the fender, causing it to rattle.

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau and Adopado
I have the same passenger side rattle. Not the seat belt tensioner, not the glass. When I hold the seat it stops, let go and it comes back.
Im going to try Nick77 suggestion.

It has stopped now ever since I moved the seat back a bit. A friend had moved it forwards a few cm to give someone in the back a bit more room. Once I moved it I haven't heard a peep out of it.
Gonna try your suggestion Nick. I believe it’s the seat itself. See my post below

Check the seatbelt tongue is not rattling against the side pillar. I’ve found that when the passenger gets out, the seatbelt retracts but the tongue rests against the plastic pillar housing and makes a rattling sound. If I move the tongue to rest as it should, the rattling goes away.

Worth checking 👍

Reactions: hcdavis3
Check the seatbelt tongue is not rattling against the side pillar. I’ve found that when the passenger gets out, the seatbelt retracts but the tongue rests against the plastic pillar housing and makes a rattling sound. If I move the tongue to rest as it should, the rattling goes away.

Worth checking 👍
Thanks Ben. The rattle was still there even with the seat belt fastened.

Reactions: Bigbadben
I’ve been noticing some rattling noise on my 2021 M3 coming from the passenger side. At first I thought it was the seat belt knocking against the side. But then I plugged it in and it continued.
I’ve tried to find whether anything is lose on that side but couldn’t find anything.

Any one else that had rattling problems from the passenger side?
I found the source of passenger side rattle but I don’t have a permanent fix yet. It’s the little seat adjustment button that slides the seat forward and backwards if you put a piece of tape over it the rattle completely goes away it’s just not on tight or something.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado