Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling noise from the passenger side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My May M3 has two sources of noise, one is the passenger seat buckle against the trim, when the seat is unoccupied. The other is the N/S rear seat squab, I was planning to put some neoprene tape across the top where the seat touches the parcel shelf. But I think the cushion tape would be better!

The car is so quiet that every little noise is obvious!!

Reactions: hcdavis3
Further update...
Caroline sat in the back yesterday to try and find the source of the noise. It seems to be the rear seat base rubbing on the door pocket, because the N/S catch for the seat base does not hold the base tight. There is about 5mm free movement, on the O/S catch there is no free movement.
Neoprene foam to the rescue, I think.

When I reported a rattle like this on my old SR+, it came back from Tesla as fixed (rebuilt door lock), which was a bit of a surprise. Unfortunately it didn’t fix the rattle! New one also rattles a bit, so guess it’s the glass issue.

My 2021 MiC LR has the front passenger window rattle issue. Been to the SC to fix it twice, however unfortunately every time I go to the SC the rattle suffers performance anxiety and doesn’t manifest for the technicians. They’ve made some tweaks however if the issue continues (which I think it is) then they’ve said they’ll need to keep the car for a couple of days to properly diagnose the issue.

So I have this annoying rattle/crackling sound coming from the front passenger area in my '21 SR+. It is NOT the seat belt buckle (or anything to do with the seat belt). It sounds like it's coming from the area right above the passenger window, whatever that is called.

It doesn't sound like a normal "something rolling/bouncing around and rattling" noise though. More like if someone was popping tiny bubbles that they use for bubble packing material. I can upload an audio clip of the noise later today.

So I have this annoying rattle/crackling sound coming from the front passenger area in my '21 SR+. It is NOT the seat belt buckle (or anything to do with the seat belt). It sounds like it's coming from the area right above the passenger window, whatever that is called.

It doesn't sound like a normal "something rolling/bouncing around and rattling" noise though. More like if someone was popping tiny bubbles that they use for bubble packing material. I can upload an audio clip of the noise later today.

Most likely that this is a candidate for the Gummi Pfledge nextzett 91480615 Rubber Care Stick, 100 Ml, White : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive ... wipe around the door & window seals. It seems bizzarre that it can cure things that sound like rattles but it works!

Under the trim for the A Pillar is some wiring and one of the airbags rolled up along the length of it. Might be worth pulling the trim back and prodding the stuff underneath to see if it makes the same noise. Could be a clip or a piece of packaging around there that is rubbing or moving around.

Try the same directly above the window too. The trim comes away ridiculously easy, so don't worry about breaking it.

• Informative
Reactions: bro1999
This morning on the school run I switched off the music and told my son who was sitting on the passenger seat to try to locate the rattle - no rattle at all! I dropped him off and the rattle started. I plugged in the seatbelt. Still rattling. A bit odd. It might be the seat needing someone to sit there or the seatbelt is in a different position when someone sits there.
My front passenger seat does the same thing. It rattles when no one is sitting in it, and stops when someone is sitting there. The rattle sounds like it is coming from under the seat. I have a 2021 model 3.

I had a rattle that I thought was coming from the passenger door. It was really quite loud as I’m basically deaf in my left ear and I could hear it clearly. But it turned out to be mud flaps. I remember scraping over one of those temporary plastic yellow and black speed bump things that are screwed into the road and it must have loosened the plastic push rivets that hold them in place.
I replaced the rivets and the rattle went away.

I had a rattle at the top of the A-Pillar/roof liner on the drivers side that was super annoying, listed it for the service center to fix alongside an existing appointment. I could see from TeslaFi that they took it on 4 local trips testing, then I was told that it failed their QA checking and would be kept another day (and another 2 trips) before it was fixed for me. Don't let anyone tell you they don't sometimes do a good job. Tesla West Drayton is now my #3 most common destination according to TeslaFi.

PS the trip heading south was a different time when they took the car onto the M4 to validate the calibration of a new windscreen after Autoglass replaced it, during the 45mins I was waiting.

1632384044141.png

I noticed a slight rattle from my empty passenger seat. It is coming from the seat back. If you grab the headrest and wobble it back/forward yourself you can hear the noise as the seat back moves.
May be of interest to search YouTube about M3 headrest removal. Though it doesn’t look like they are removable they are … and you might be able to spot the issue.

I had a rattle at the top of the A-Pillar/roof liner on the drivers side that was super annoying, listed it for the service center to fix alongside an existing appointment. I could see from TeslaFi that they took it on 4 local trips testing, then I was told that it failed their QA checking and would be kept another day (and another 2 trips) before it was fixed for me. Don't let anyone tell you they don't sometimes do a good job. Tesla West Drayton is now my #3 most common destination according to TeslaFi.

PS the trip heading south was a different time when they took the car onto the M4 to validate the calibration of a new windscreen after Autoglass replaced it, during the 45mins I was waiting.

View attachment 713047
Did they fix it? Any idea what it was? I think I may have a rattle on the drivers side. Still trying to figure out what it is as it comes and goes. The shocking Edinburgh city roads exposed it but it's not as bad in my home town. It may be the drivers seat belt adjuster, but need to hear it more to be certain although I'd be glad if it never returned!

For what its worth I had a rattle coming from the back. It sounded like a simmering saucepan lid. It was not always there and it was dependent on the temperature or weather... When it was really bad down a country road in Cornwall I got wifey in the back to see where it was coming from. She said it went away when she pressed the speaker grill on the parcel-shelf.
When we got home from our holiday I pressed around on the center of parcel-shelf and it made a noise like adhesive tape sticking to and coming away from the underside of the parcel-shelf. I jammed a 2" piece of black rubber sponge seal between the back window and the parcel-shelf and the noise has now gone!
See this post for details on the black rubber sponge seal: