Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling Noise - Third Party Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone recommend a good place in Bay Area that can help me fix a rattling noise in my model Y rear trunk - rear door area? I have taken it twice to service center and disappointingly they haven’t been able to fix it. Waste of time and energy. I think it’s really frustrating that I need to give up from Service Center and probably pay out of packet to fix it on a brand new car but the noise is really annoying!

I've got the same rattle. I'm going to keep going back so this issue gets escalated, tracked down, and fixed. You should do the same. That way all of us owners benefit.

(The rattle is a minor annoyance to me because I'm always playing music and mostly drowning it out.)

Does anyone recommend a good place in Bay Area that can help me fix a rattling noise in my model Y rear trunk - rear door area? I have taken it twice to service center and disappointingly they haven’t been able to fix it. Waste of time and energy. I think it’s really frustrating that I need to give up from Service Center and probably pay out of packet to fix it on a brand new car but the noise is really annoying!

I had the same rattle. I tracked it down myself to the right rear compartment area. It's actually the amplifier rack and the one harness that's attached to it. The heat sinks on the amp actually amplified the rattle created by the harness. Go figure. Anyways, I removed the amp, installed foam tape on all contact points so there are no metal-to-metal contacts, reinstalled everything and there are no more rattles! Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: MY-Y
Thanks for the guide. Looked and it was solid. Also the harness was already secured with tape. It seems like service center was looking at that already but that was not the case. as I hear glass rattle, I think it is the rear door not securing well.

I think I have found the source of rattle. It is the hatch not being closed well. Though it clicks but the tensions might be not right. i rotates the plastic studs at the bottom and increase the side and noise was increasing. Moved in reverse direction and noise and rattle is present but the frequency is changed and it is less annoying.
There is no more space left for the study itself so I think the tension should change from power lift gate itself. I tried to rotate it a bit cause I was thinking it will re-adjust it but no luck. If anyone has ideas what can be done so the hatch door gets a good grip, it will be really appreciated.

We had a rattle that we tried fixing over three services.

1. They took apart the back seat and re-lubed everything and readjusted
2. They then adjusted the hatch and tightened everything up, still happening
3. They finally decided for the tech to go on a ride-along to hear the noise I was talking about. Immediately heard it. They found the rattle in the headrest in the back seat.

It sounded like a metallic squeal. It was pretty loud, but thankfully it was finally fixed by a technician who heard the same sound and told me he would get to the bottom of it.

It looks like you're in Berkeley, we took ours to the Berkeley service center the three times. IF you get matched to one of the good technicians and they verify the noise, you'll probably be able to get it resolved.

The way we reproduced it was to drive west on University Ave from Frontage towards the marina. The technician said he would try some things, drive down that same road to verify it fixed, otherwise he would keep trying it. It took two full days, but he got it!

We had a rattle that we tried fixing over three services.

1. They took apart the back seat and re-lubed everything and readjusted
2. They then adjusted the hatch and tightened everything up, still happening
3. They finally decided for the tech to go on a ride-along to hear the noise I was talking about. Immediately heard it. They found the rattle in the headrest in the back seat.

It sounded like a metallic squeal. It was pretty loud, but thankfully it was finally fixed by a technician who heard the same sound and told me he would get to the bottom of it.

It looks like you're in Berkeley, we took ours to the Berkeley service center the three times. IF you get matched to one of the good technicians and they verify the noise, you'll probably be able to get it resolved.

The way we reproduced it was to drive west on University Ave from Frontage towards the marina. The technician said he would try some things, drive down that same road to verify it fixed, otherwise he would keep trying it. It took two full days, but he got it!

it’s correct I’m in Berkeley. Good news is that Service Center Manager is on top of it and has given one of the best techs to look after it. I usually take it there or Cedar from Eastshore to San Pablo Ave. this contactless situation has made it complicated. My last visit the car was in service center for a week. I noticed that the rattle does not reproduce when car is cold that’s why they may think it’s fixed. It need half to an hour of drive to verify it’s fixed.

I’m confident it’s the rear hatch itself cause I shake the hatch panel and it does not rattle inside. I think it does not get closed well or maybe lock mechanism is having issues. When I open rear hatch and move those adjustment studs a bit it changes the rattle tone or eliminates it but after a while it starts again.

Check the rear hatch glass.

On mine, I noticed a rattling sound coming from the back. I checked a few things and couldn't find the source. But when I went to wash it for the first time, I pushed down on the top right corner of the glass and heard the sound.

Now... How to fix it cuz I have no confidence that the SC will find it anything other than "in spec"

This. The hatch wasn't the issue for me.

I had my rear middle seat headrest adjusted earlier so I thought they fixed that noise. Something else in there was making noise when the headrest is fully seated and locked-down. I popped it up and the rattling goes away 99.9%.

The things I have checked with my least car experience and have not been the cause:
  • Hatch Glass is Solid
  • Amplifier is Secure
  • Harness from Amplifier to woofer and harness to rear light are well secure
  • Harness to feed power to rear seat buttons are secure
  • Rear Seat headrest does not make any noise
  • Hatch harness looks secure and noise does not seem to be harness. I did not investigate that bit a lot because the connections looked very fragile
The things I found so far:
  • Noise comes from rear. It is either seats - Under Trunk or Very Likely rear hatch
  • Noise is intermittent and it is getting harder to reproduce recently but when it makes the noise it is pretty consistent
  • Noise is not being reproduced when the car is cold. It happens after a while driving the car (30 min to an hour drive)
  • In the middle of a rough drive when I had the noise reproduced, I opened rear trunk and re-adjusted the studs. That changed the tone of the noise but did not eliminate it.
  • I am suspicious to rear hatch more than anything. I feel like the door does not get closed well though the click noise sounds ok and visual check of the door does not show wobbly door but It seems like door moves in place on the pits and bumps. It might be the lock mechanism or the power lift gate but this is where I am suspicious more than anywhere else.
  • It might be the speakers on the hatch that are loose either or any harness inside the rear hatch. I hear the loose glass noise more than anything. Like when you have door that is locked but not well closed and door is wobbly in place.

So frankly speaking Tesla could not find it. Each time they were doing it the noise was coming back in couple of days. Last time manager got involved.

He even did follow up in text twice after the visit but I did not want to go to Service Center anymore.

Instead, a friend of mine is a mechanic. I took the car and he sat in trunk area. We went for a test drive and he found the issue in couple of minutes. It was the Stop Light gap and glass that was loose. The foam was misplaced. He put the foam in right place and last two weeks I am enjoying a no rattling Tesla!

Until tonight that I hit a curb and I scratched my wheel. I need to open a new thread!!

Can you post a picture of the exact location? It might be helpful to other owners trying to track down their own mystery rattles.

Instead, a friend of mine is a mechanic. I took the car and he sat in trunk area. We went for a test drive and he found the issue in couple of minutes. It was the Stop Light gap and glass that was loose. The foam was misplaced. He put the foam in right place and last two weeks I am enjoying a no rattling Tesla!

Reactions: Nakk
I have a popping clunk sound coming from behind my seat.
It comes when I take off or when lift off acceleration pedal. Donetimes over certain bumps.
I think its my seat, especially the back if the seat, like there is something loose that sudden movement makes it jump and click.
Any experience with something similar?

So frankly speaking Tesla could not find it. Each time they were doing it the noise was coming back in couple of days. Last time manager got involved.

He even did follow up in text twice after the visit but I did not want to go to Service Center anymore.

Until tonight that I hit a curb and I scratched my wheel. I need to open a new thread!!
I don't understand your description. Is this under the plastic trim attached to the inside of the hatch?