Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattling Pano Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 2016 MS 75 that is just over a year old with 9K miles. I have had this persistent lite rattle noise coming from my Pano roof for over six months. It is more apparent on rougher roads and sounds like crackling rain on the roof. I recently took it in for maintenance and the only thing they did was lube the Pano roof tracks.

If anyone else has experienced this would you please share recommendations on a fix.

Thanks,
John

If you press up on the front edge, center, does the rattle stop?

There's a metal tab guide alignment thingy there at the frame... mine has a layer of fuzzy friction tape on it...

My roof really rattles on stone cold days (frozen car driving on the tundra), or is louder when there's a big temperature differential inside / outside the car.

I think my fuzzy tape could use a re-do. Or more fuzz.

The rubber seal gasket at this point in the middle of front edge of the pano frame has a "thin band" that goes over this same metal tab... My gasket has been worn / pinched enough that a little 2 inch segment has separated off from the rest of the gasket. So far no leaks or anything.. but probably contributing to the rattle.

This is something I'll tackle in the spring. NO WAY I'm using (opening) my pano roof in winter while everything is frozen... that's asking for something to snap and get stuck with a pano that won't close again.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Hi John -
Your post is aptly-timed, as I have had my 2015 90D (10/2015 production date, currently 22k miles) into the Las Vegas Service Center three times in the last 45 days for this very issue, and unfortunately they still have not fixed it. I don't need a rough road or high speeds to produce the sound. It's evident at parking lot speeds. A rattling/rain dropping sound right above the driver's head. In my case venting the pano roof and then closing it will eliminate the sound for about 30-45 seconds of driving, then it returns. A search through the TMC forums will yield a couple of related threads, with several people posting varying levels of 'fixes', some seem to have been permanent, some seem to have only worked temporarily.

Just FYI, my detailed service history is as follows:

First Visit -
Service invoice stated "Insulated Headliner Mounting Points" and "Verified proper fitment after repairs". After leaving the service center the noise returned after about 5 minutes of driving. I called the SC and they asked me to come back. I turned around and took a tech for a drive again, verified the noise had returned. The tech said "I think I know what it is, and since venting the roof makes it temporarily subside that leads me to believe it is the rubber seal between the moving sunroof glass and the rear fixed glass." I would consider what followed the second visit, as the car was taken back into the shop. They asked if I could wait in the lobby while they worked on it right then. I obliged.​
Second Visit -
They took my car into the shop and lubricated that rubber seal on the outside (top of the roof) and the inside (under the headliner), as well as cleaned and lubricated the sunroof tracks and rubber seal. It took about 20 minutes. Then we went for another drive. The noise was still present but substantially reduced. I agreed that it had been reduced to an acceptable level and took possession of my car. I drove for about 20 minutes to get home and as soon as I exited the freeway, the noise was back in full force. <FRUSTRATED> Called the SC, they were great, and asked me to drop the car off again in a few days.​
Third Visit -
They had my car all week last week (they were not working on it all week, they were just really backed-up). My invoice stated "Removed and replaced panoramic glass screws and added anti-rattle washers. Lubricated seals. Performed test drive. Noise no longer present. No additional work needed" They used (4) anti-noise shim washers and (4) M5x0.8x12MM tprx bolts. I was out of town when they finished the work so I had a valet run my car out to my house and grab the loaner out of the garage. My first drive after returning home from vacation confirmed that the noise was very much still there, in fact I would argue it is worse.​

When I informed the Vegas SC that despite having the car for a week they still hadn't addressed the problem, they asked me to swing by and take a lead tech for a drive. Did that, and he heard it in less than 10 seconds. I am now scheduled with another appointment on 1/24. The lead tech took detailed notes of our drive today and has committed to overseeing the repairs on 1/24. That will be the car's fourth visit for the same issue.​

I will be sure to post the outcome of my fourth visit. The Tesla service folks have been terrific to deal with,and are committed to getting the issue identified and resolved. They are true professionals and have completely reinvented the automobile service experience. I can appreciate that rattling, crackling, creaking and all noise-related matters are probably the bane of their existence (They refer to these types of issues as NVH - noise, vibration, and harshness). I am trying to be empathetic and cooperative, but at the same time having to return four times for the same issue, after being told "It's fixed" every time, is getting frustrating.

Anyone else with a story to tell - please speak up! Sometimes I wonder if the Tesla SC's don't have a searchable service database like most other brands do, as I get the impression the guys here in Vegas are trying to figure this out on their own - a bit of re-inventing the wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Scottm -

The noise I have (and I think the one John has) does not subside with the application of pressure in any direction, or in any place, on the glass roof or headliner. Does your rattle sound like it comes from the front of the pano roof and in front of you, or from behind your head?

Scottm -

The noise I have (and I think the one John has) does not subside with the application of pressure in any direction, or in any place, on the glass roof or headliner. Does your rattle sound like it comes from the front of the pano roof and in front of you, or from behind your head?

my sounds seemingly come from the place where I'm urged to push up in the middle front edge of glass to stop it... the whole glass resonates which does amplify the sound... and can be hard to pinpoint the origin ... but applying pressure there seems to quell it.

so yes, from front of pano, not behind head

If you press up on the front edge, center, does the rattle stop?

There's a metal tab guide alignment thingy there at the frame... mine has a layer of fuzzy friction tape on it...

My roof really rattles on stone cold days (frozen car driving on the tundra), or is louder when there's a big temperature differential inside / outside the car.

I think my fuzzy tape could use a re-do. Or more fuzz.

The rubber seal gasket at this point in the middle of front edge of the pano frame has a "thin band" that goes over this same metal tab... My gasket has been worn / pinched enough that a little 2 inch segment has separated off from the rest of the gasket. So far no leaks or anything.. but probably contributing to the rattle.

This is something I'll tackle in the spring. NO WAY I'm using (opening) my pano roof in winter while everything is frozen... that's asking for something to snap and get stuck with a pano that won't close again.
This guy Tesla's. I tried to troubleshoot this issue with the service center for months. Ended up adding a bit of padding with some foam tape on the top of that sunroof tab and BOOM, noise gone.

Hi John -
Your post is aptly-timed, as I have had my 2015 90D (10/2015 production date, currently 22k miles) into the Las Vegas Service Center three times in the last 45 days for this very issue, and unfortunately they still have not fixed it. I don't need a rough road or high speeds to produce the sound. It's evident at parking lot speeds. A rattling/rain dropping sound right above the driver's head. In my case venting the pano roof and then closing it will eliminate the sound for about 30-45 seconds of driving, then it returns. A search through the TMC forums will yield a couple of related threads, with several people posting varying levels of 'fixes', some seem to have been permanent, some seem to have only worked temporarily.

Just FYI, my detailed service history is as follows:

First Visit -
Service invoice stated "Insulated Headliner Mounting Points" and "Verified proper fitment after repairs". After leaving the service center the noise returned after about 5 minutes of driving. I called the SC and they asked me to come back. I turned around and took a tech for a drive again, verified the noise had returned. The tech said "I think I know what it is, and since venting the roof makes it temporarily subside that leads me to believe it is the rubber seal between the moving sunroof glass and the rear fixed glass." I would consider what followed the second visit, as the car was taken back into the shop. They asked if I could wait in the lobby while they worked on it right then. I obliged.​
Second Visit -
They took my car into the shop and lubricated that rubber seal on the outside (top of the roof) and the inside (under the headliner), as well as cleaned and lubricated the sunroof tracks and rubber seal. It took about 20 minutes. Then we went for another drive. The noise was still present but substantially reduced. I agreed that it had been reduced to an acceptable level and took possession of my car. I drove for about 20 minutes to get home and as soon as I exited the freeway, the noise was back in full force. <FRUSTRATED> Called the SC, they were great, and asked me to drop the car off again in a few days.​
Third Visit -
They had my car all week last week (they were not working on it all week, they were just really backed-up). My invoice stated "Removed and replaced panoramic glass screws and added anti-rattle washers. Lubricated seals. Performed test drive. Noise no longer present. No additional work needed" They used (4) anti-noise shim washers and (4) M5x0.8x12MM tprx bolts. I was out of town when they finished the work so I had a valet run my car out to my house and grab the loaner out of the garage. My first drive after returning home from vacation confirmed that the noise was very much still there, in fact I would argue it is worse.​

When I informed the Vegas SC that despite having the car for a week they still hadn't addressed the problem, they asked me to swing by and take a lead tech for a drive. Did that, and he heard it in less than 10 seconds. I am now scheduled with another appointment on 1/24. The lead tech took detailed notes of our drive today and has committed to overseeing the repairs on 1/24. That will be the car's fourth visit for the same issue.​

I will be sure to post the outcome of my fourth visit. The Tesla service folks have been terrific to deal with,and are committed to getting the issue identified and resolved. They are true professionals and have completely reinvented the automobile service experience. I can appreciate that rattling, crackling, creaking and all noise-related matters are probably the bane of their existence (They refer to these types of issues as NVH - noise, vibration, and harshness). I am trying to be empathetic and cooperative, but at the same time having to return four times for the same issue, after being told "It's fixed" every time, is getting frustrating.

Anyone else with a story to tell - please speak up! Sometimes I wonder if the Tesla SC's don't have a searchable service database like most other brands do, as I get the impression the guys here in Vegas are trying to figure this out on their own - a bit of re-inventing the wheel.
I've got the exact same issue and also taken it in three times with no luck. I'm thinking of trying to resolve myself at this point. Any update on your situation?

I hate to dig a old thread up but this came up on my search. I am getting a squeaky/squealing noise coming from my pano roof. Has anyone found a fix for this? Has anyone tried some kind of silicone lube to stop it? I hate to take it up to the service center for a minor issue and the service center where I live is the only one within 50 miles so it stays extremely busy. From what I have read. Many people has taken their Tesla to the service center several times to try and fix this issue with the issue only to reoccurs.

As mentioned above, my rattling was due to the metal alignment tab at the front of the glass. The service center had adjusted it (prob just bent it down a bit) and the noises went away. You could try to put a piece of electrical tape and see if you can at least rulenout the tab or not as causing your squeaks.

I hate to dig a old thread up but this came up on my search. I am getting a squeaky/squealing noise coming from my pano roof. Has anyone found a fix for this? Has anyone tried some kind of silicone lube to stop it? I hate to take it up to the service center for a minor issue and the service center where I live is the only one within 50 miles so it stays extremely busy. From what I have read. Many people has taken their Tesla to the service center several times to try and fix this issue with the issue only to reoccurs.
I actually went into the service center on wednesday about a squeaky pano roof noise... I will post back when I get the car back after asking what they have done.

I just dropped off my car today at the service center. Im just hoping they can get it corrected the first time and the problem doesnt reoccur
So I have a "Classic" Model S... and the last time I went in I had complained about a very minor leak in the pano roof... and they had dismantled the pano roof and fitted a 2nd generation pano seal as they called it... that's when the squeaking started...

So this time I went in for a failed onboard slave charger... I complained about it and they had reseated the pano roof and now it is completely silent...

My guess is that perhaps it was ever so slightly not aligned correctly or too tight causing it to rub when the car body twists

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
So I have a "Classic" Model S... and the last time I went in I had complained about a very minor leak in the pano roof... and they had dismantled the pano roof and fitted a 2nd generation pano seal as they called it... that's when the squeaking started...

So this time I went in for a failed onboard slave charger... I complained about it and they had reseated the pano roof and now it is completely silent...

My guess is that perhaps it was ever so slightly not aligned correctly or too tight causing it to rub when the car body twists

That's interesting because my 2015D has updated seals on the pano roof. I wonder if the same as the 2nd generation pano seal they fitted to your car. I dropped my car off Friday and since the service center doesnt operate on the weekends I wont have my car back until early next week. Ill post back what they did to fix the squeak

this is old thread, but Im having some noise issues with my pre ap sunroof, it rattles on certain uneven roads, 90% of the time it is OK but I drive once in a while on a certain HW which is honestly the worst one in San Jose :( and my sunroof rattles (as well as my dash, but that is a different story), once I push front of the glass upwards, sound disappears, is there a something I can attach (rubber, fabric etc) to stop it? I don't open the sunroof much anyway... thanks

That's interesting because my 2015D has updated seals on the pano roof. I wonder if the same as the 2nd generation pano seal they fitted to your car. I dropped my car off Friday and since the service center doesnt operate on the weekends I wont have my car back until early next week. Ill post back what they did to fix the squeak
Did they fix the squeaking?