TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Rattling: seat belt anchor installed backwards?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dmcmillen, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dmcmillen

dmcmillen Member

Hi all,

Got a somewhat strange one here. There's a rattle from the driver's side of the car over rough pavement that I believe I have narrowed down to the seat belt anchor knocking against the lower plastic seat trim. I hear a similar rattle when I have a passenger in the front seat. It seems to only happen when the seat belt is buckled, as this pulls the anchor forward to where it comes into contact with trim.

I looked and there is a piece of felt attached to the outside (door facing) of the seat belt anchor. It appears this felt is in place to stop the rattling noise... but were mine perhaps installed backwards? Is everyone's like this?

[​IMG]

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Is the red release on the inside? I was pretty sure that the buttons are supposed to be on the 'side away from the seat'. See this render from the Design Studio:

upload_2017-7-31_15-6-56.png

Edit.... you say door facing.. isn't this the front passenger seat we're looking at?

3. dmcmillen

dmcmillen Member

Hi, apologies if my post was confusing. The picture is of the driver's side seat belt anchor (between the seat and the B-pillar), not the buckle (which is between the seat and the center console).

4. David.85D

David.85D Member

Mine rattles as well, I have been meaning to put some felt on the other side, but haven't found any black stick on felt so far. The one hardware store I looked in had a variety of tans and browns. didn't think it might be on backwards...

5. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Mine's oriented that way.

I wouldn't think it would hit the seat... unless you're really skinny :rolleyes:

6. drklain

drklain Member

Mine hits the seat and I had thought the same thing. I think the felt is there (on the outside) to prevent rattling when no one is in the seat and the belt is pulled up against the B pillar. Haven't looked for sticky felt but was going to buy some black sticky velcro at the Home Depot...just use some of the "loop" side of the velcro...