Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rav4 EV vs Model S 40kWh

Which is the better buy?

• Model S 40kWh

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • Toyota Rav4 EV

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I beleive the incentive ends Jan 4. And Yes I was told that that the 0% still applies. I'm mildly upset that I bought mine early. I could have purchased for $10,000 less. (including the financing) Our local dealer was not aware of the incentive, but they looked and verified.

I beleive the incentive ends Jan 4. And Yes I was told that that the 0% still applies. I'm mildly upset that I bought mine early. I could have purchased for $10,000 less. (including the financing) Our local dealer was not aware of the incentive, but they looked and verified.
I hear you. Buyers remorse here as well. Funny thing is, my local Toyota dealer (where I bought my RAV4 EV last month at nearly full sticker price and only 1.9% APR financing), just this afternoon, denied any such deals exist. Yet, the same dealer's website clearly species $5k off AND 0%! Gotta wonder about car salesman sometimes. No wonder they generally have a bad reputation!

Last edited:
RAV4 EV still being offered at tremendous savings: $6000 off sticker, 0% APR financing, $7500 IRS tax credit, $2500 CA Rebate and possibly another $2500 off for something called Toyota "loyalty" cashback. Inexplicably, for whatever reasons, these cars just do not seem to be selling well. Less than 200 thru end of December have been sold since introduction (starting September 24th). I'm certain there are more potential buyers, but you can only buy (or lease) one if you reside in CA. At these prices, with so much of the RAV EV design based on Tesla electrified automotive technology, they should be selling like hotcakes. It is indeed a phenomenal SUV, but I only wish I waited a few months to buy mine for many thousands less than I paid last November.

There are already many Rav4 EV shipped to other states!
Apparently just find a Local Toyota dealer that wants to service yours, and after that get one shipped out of California!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum View forum - Buying a Toyota Rav4 EV

I won't be surprised that with wide acceptance and support for Tesla Model S and X, that a whole bunch of Rav4's get shipped out of California. Above anything else, it is a solid Toyota product with a great drive train, and can be purchased for many, many thousands less than the cheapest Model S.

Currently, the Poor Man's Model X is $34,800 in California through Feb 4, 2013 with all the incentives. That's with a 50kWh Tesla battery pack (41.8kWh usable) and a genuine Tesla motor. They almost literally throw in a Rav4 for free.

NOTE: Toyota paid Tesla $100 million for 2600 cars... $38,462 each.

Last edited:
RAV4 EV still being offered at tremendous savings: $6000 off sticker, 0% APR financing, $7500 IRS tax credit, $2500 CA Rebate and possibly another $2500 off for something called Toyota "loyalty" cashback. Inexplicably, for whatever reasons, these cars just do not seem to be selling well. Less than 200 thru end of December have been sold since introduction (starting September 24th). I'm certain there are more potential buyers, but you can only buy (or lease) one if you reside in CA. At these prices, with so much of the RAV EV design based on Tesla electrified automotive technology, they should be selling like hotcakes. It is indeed a phenomenal SUV, but I only wish I waited a few months to buy mine for many thousands less than I paid last November.

Me too, I did not get the dealer rebate. I complained and they said the would do something for me. Free set of tires was mentioned.

Actually Folsom Lake Toyota was very helpful shipping a RAV4 EV to Texas. The price was in-line with what you'd pay for a top of the line Prius btw. Leviton also will sell you the 40AMP charger without their inspection process and a guy pulling permits, which in Texas isn't needed.

That said, even with the best deal on a RAV4 EV there's still about a 15-20K gap between it and Tesla S. That's a real difference.

That said, even with the best deal on a RAV4 EV there's still about a 15-20K gap between it and Tesla S. That's a real difference.

It's worth $15-$20K easily not to have to deal with Toyota service. I am so tired of having to bring my own measured amount of oil and check everything they do because they so often do it wrong.

The local Novato (18 miles North of G.G. Bridge) elected not to sell the RAV4 EV as he didn't want to spend what was necessary to service the car. As Toyota will only sell the bare minimum they need to meet California rules, finding a dealer may not necessarily be all that easy. As Doug points out, this car will only be sold in California.

I won't be surprised that with wide acceptance and support for Tesla Model S and X, that a whole bunch of Rav4's get shipped out of California. Above anything else, it is a solid Toyota product with a great drive train, and can be purchased for many, many thousands less than the cheapest Model S.

Currently, the Poor Man's Model X is $34,800 in California through Feb 4, 2013 with all the incentives.

Through April 1, 2013, the incentive is $10,000 from Toyota, plus the $7500 fed tax credit, plus whatever your state does (no sales tax in Washington, $2500 in California, $6000 in Colorado, $7500 in West Virginia, etc).

In addition, dealers are discounting up to $4000 with 2% hold-back from Toyota. The net cost of a $50,870 MSRP car can be below $30,000.