Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fully loaded almost $50K...yikes. BUT, I think buyer will get the $7.5K fed credit.

Toyota Reveals Pricing For 2021 RAV4 Prime Plug-In Hybrid

I bought a $50k RAV4 7 years ago. Tesla Fanboys approved because Tesla made it. J/K.

It was $50k for 100-ish range. So over priced that I got one sitting on the lot for 6 months. Got $12k off between Toyota and Dealer. With $10k Government handouts too, not bad. Also got 0% interest for 60 months on top.

So sad Toyota has gone backwards. But this is good getting customers ready for EV.

I feel like I’m one of the few who thinks this car makes sense if I were to stray away from an EV or needed an alternative for road trips. The plug is ok, but it gets good MPGs, has good cargo space and should be reliable given that it’s a Toyota. Taking into consideration pricing, I’d probably take this over almost every non-Tesla EV due to charging issues.

I feel like I’m one of the few who thinks this car makes sense if I were to stray away from an EV or needed an alternative for road trips. The plug is ok, but it gets good MPGs, has good cargo space and should be reliable given that it’s a Toyota. Taking into consideration pricing, I’d probably take this over almost every non-Tesla EV due to charging issues.
If you lived in Wyoming or something, I would understand choosing the PHEV. In California, if you have home charging, IMHO, there is no reason to avoid a BEV. Even the non-Tesla charging infrastructure is sufficient for road trips. During Peak travel periods, you may even be better off in a non-Tesla vehicle because the vehicle to station ratio is more in your favor.

Even the non-Tesla charging infrastructure is sufficient for road trips------That is not accurate if one is referring to fast DC chargers. Still way too many dead areas such as the UP of Michigan-Northern Plains-Upstate New York and Maine lack such charging capabilities. One can not drive directly from Phoenix to La Vegas expecting to find such chargers.

Even the non-Tesla charging infrastructure is sufficient for road trips------That is not accurate if one is referring to fast DC chargers. Still way too many dead areas such as the UP of Michigan-Northern Plains-Upstate New York and Maine lack such charging capabilities. One can not drive directly from Phoenix to La Vegas expecting to find such chargers.
Obviously, everyone needs to evaluate charging infrastructure for the routes they are likely to travel. Personally, I have never driven any of my own cars outside the state of California besides the Tahoe / Reno area, so that makes things much simpler.

More expensive than I'd hoped, but still a really compelling offering. Not much reason to opt up in trim or options TBH, so you can get OTD in the mid $30's after fed credit. On par with what many midsize SUV's are selling for these days, and this thing will obviously destroy them in performance and save many people 100% on gas. I don't think PHEV's like the Niro or Outlander have been big sellers, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. Toyota SHOULD be able to sell as many of these as they make, but time will tell.