Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven 100% charge miles decreased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching for this topic but couldn’t find it on this forum.

My Performance Raven is only 1 month old and 100% charge miles is declining every time I charge to 100%. A month ago it was at 305 then 300 and now 298. Is this normally? I only charge at home and rarely charge to 100%.

Thanks

It's only one month old and you've charged it to 100% three times already? That sounds like a lot to me but I still think it shouldn't go down that quickly. I would chalk it up to BEM and see if it stays. Try charging to 90% and just do the math to get 100% charge from now on. (90% charge in miles divided by 0.9)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
My last 90% charge was 269 miles which is consistent with 100%.

It's only one month old and you've charged it to 100% three times already? That sounds like a lot to me but I still think it shouldn't go down that quickly. I would chalk it up to BEM and see if it stays. Try charging to 90% and just do the math to get 100% charge from now on. (90% charge in miles divided by 0.9)

My concern is why the max charge miles declined from 305 to 298. Doesn’t matter if I take it to 100% once a month or 3 times a month. It should not lose 7 miles of max charge in a month. Actually I picked up the car on 6/27 so a little over a month.

I dropped off the car for service today and the service advisor said Tesla’s maximum 100% charge display is based on my driving habit. I respectfully disagree and told him that my driving habit has been much easier on the battery than a few months ago. I was really having fun with ludicrous mode and charge was at 305 miles. My latest full charge is 292. I believe this is why car manufacturers get in trouble with their advertised range. I wouldn’t have bought a 305 mile range Tesla knowing now the range is 292 and dropping after 2 months. I’m sure a class action lawsuit will be in the future. We’re seeing some class action lawsuits from older batteries so it’s just a matter of time before Tesla gets hit with manipulating range to sell newer models. Similar to Apple class action lawsuit with their batteries.

• Disagree
Reactions: VT_EE
My concern is why the max charge miles declined from 305 to 298. Doesn’t matter if I take it to 100% once a month or 3 times a month. It should not lose 7 miles of max charge in a month. Actually I picked up the car on 6/27 so a little over a month.
Nice to be chastised by your fellow Tesla owners about how frequently you charge to 100% and then deflect from your question. I think its a fair question and you should get a fair answer from the service center. What if it's 290 next month?

Reactions: alloverx
How is it normal if full charge was at 305 and now at 298? I understand if the car is a year old but it’s a month old. It hasn’t fluctuate either, just declining from 305-300-298.
What's the lowest you've taken it before charging again? Try driving it down to 20% and then charge it back up and see if the range increases.

I typically charge my car to 80% and my range fluctuates by 6 miles or so. One day, it will be 260 miles. Another day it will be 266 miles. Some days it will end at 263 and after I unplug it, it will go up a couple miles to 265 while the car sits in the sun. It's just an estimation of the energy in the battery, not a 100% exact measurement.

Bear in mind batteries do lose capacity over time, most severely in the first year. Following that the decline is far slower.

Here is some historical data: Tesla Model S battery degradation data. In particular, see the 2nd chart and see how the curve flattens after dropping a little steeper at first.

Also, your BMS has to guess what your 100% range is, so the number may not be what you actually get (it might guess over, it might guess under).

This is normal.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I’ve tried taking it down to 20% and full charge was 295. Also took it down to 1% 2 days ago after a long trip and full charge was 292. It’s getting worse every time I fully charge the car and I’ve been diligent about my driving habit to calibrate the battery.

What's the lowest you've taken it before charging again? Try driving it down to 20% and then charge it back up and see if the range increases.

I typically charge my car to 80% and my range fluctuates by 6 miles or so. One day, it will be 260 miles. Another day it will be 266 miles. Some days it will end at 263 and after I unplug it, it will go up a couple miles to 265 while the car sits in the sun. It's just an estimation of the energy in the battery, not a 100% exact measurement.

Thank you! Yes that’s my concern is the continue decline in full charge even though my driving habit is much better than before.
If Tesla logic is true then full charge range should improve if I drive within speed limit and turn off all AC. I can certainly do that to bring my battery back to its original state less than 2 months ago.

Nice to be chastised by your fellow Tesla owners about how frequently you charge to 100% and then deflect from your question. I think its a fair question and you should get a fair answer from the service center. What if it's 290 next month?

If Tesla logic is true then full charge range should improve if I drive within speed limit and turn off all AC. I can certainly do that to bring my battery back to its original state less than 2 months ago.
Tesla merely uses the rated consumption and estimated battery energy to determine total range, not driving habits or previous consumption.

See this thread for a rundown on how it’s done:

Calculate usable battery capacity based on rated miles values

Charging to 100% is one of the worst things you can do to the battery. However I wont get into all of that.

The real question is what is your ACTUAL mileage. Not what the car is projecting. What are you REALLY driving. Thats what matters. The projected range can be wrong and you might be fine.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Most of us don't charge to 100% everyday or every week. I only charge mine to 100% when I take a 200+ mile trip. I don't think we should limit ourselves to just 90% just because it's not "healthy" for the battery to charge to 100%.

Anyhow, the issue at hand is not about the actual mileage or rated miles. Folks on all forums are reporting a drop in range at 90% and 100% after a few updates ago. I don't think it's true battery degradation at all. What folks are uneasy about is why Long Range in 3,X,S observed similar drop in range after software updates. Not cool to buy a car rated at 328 to the charge and a month later get 295. Check out some of the battery reports on the S forum, it's pretty disturbing.

Most of us don't charge to 100% everyday or every week. I only charge mine to 100% when I take a 200+ mile trip. I don't think we should limit ourselves to just 90% just because it's not "healthy" for the battery to charge to 100%.
While I definitely do not think this is your current problem, charging to 100% more than a few times a year can definitely lower your total battery capacity. That's why it's discouraged so heavily in this thread. 100% charges will reduce your range.. eventually. Yours appears to be more closely related to firmware since it's happening so fast, though.

It's kind of like saying "I've been eating steak daily this week and I can't run as far." It's probably not the steaks in the first week, but it might be after a few months.

I agree, it will eventually can degrade the battery but we all don’t have the data to show battery degradation after a few 100% charges. If you have that info please post since Tesla isn’t saying that.

While I definitely do not think this is your current problem, charging to 100% more than a few times a year can definitely lower your total battery capacity. That's why it's discouraged so heavily in this thread. 100% charges will reduce your range.. eventually. Yours appears to be more closely related to firmware since it's happening so fast, though.

It's kind of like saying "I've been eating steak daily this week and I can't run as far." It's probably not the steaks in the first week, but it might be after a few months.

I agree, it will eventually can degrade the battery but we all don’t have the data to show battery degradation after a few 100% charges. If you have that info please post since Tesla isn’t saying that.
I don't have it, and I agree with you that it shouldn't happen as quickly as you are experiencing. I wish I could be more help. Keep us informed.

Reactions: kqnjml