Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven adaptive suspension, how does it work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been quite a while now since this came out, and I've still seen very little info. So I'm asking. . .

How does it work? Does it use a magnetic ferrofluid in the shocks, like GM's MagneRide? I've heard good things about MagneRide, and it would seem like this appeared on Model S right about the time when I'd be expecting GM's patents to expire.

Also, how well does it work? How much difference can you tell between sport mode and comfort mode? How does sport mode compare with Model 3?

Reactions: Dragetreneren
Well, I read an article recently that said this company was a key component of the updated suspenstion. And when I first visited its site, there was a picture from inside a Model S as it rode/drove down the bumpy road. But the last few times that I have gone back to this site, the Model S is not showing. I keep forgetting to look under the skirt er, I mean fender of a Model S in the store to see if I see the knot as the same product. Take a look ClearMotion - Home

Also, how well does it work? How much difference can you tell between sport mode and comfort mode? How does sport mode compare with Model 3?
I think it is a very big step forward over the old air suspension. It makes the car feel more stable, more surefooted; it sits flatter when cornering and copes better with road imperfections.
I am surprised more fuss hasn't been made about it.
On the other hand, the Sport and Comfort modes are only slightly different, to me. So far, I've just left it in Sport.
Never driven a '3.

Reactions: VikH
I think it is a very big step forward over the old air suspension. It makes the car feel more stable, more surefooted; it sits flatter when cornering and copes better with road imperfections.
I am surprised more fuss hasn't been made about it.
On the other hand, the Sport and Comfort modes are only slightly different, to me. So far, I've just left it in Sport.
Confused, so what is different? We had S100D and will now lease either Raven S 100D or Raven SP100D. In what settings will we notice the biggest difference? Thanks!

I'd bet money is not clear motion or maxwell, it's likely a ferrofluid type system but I can't say for sure. Clear motion was actually the Bose active suspension tech (project Sound, look it up on youtube) that was sold off a few years ago. If it were this tech we would know about it. It's fundamentally a different type of suspension. It looks like maxwell is along the same lines.

From what little I've read, it seems to be more like the older adaptive systems (i.e. basically adjusting a valve to control fluid flow). The biggest benefit Tesla's system would seem to have over others is around software updates. I could easily see them adding additional "modes" and tweaking the ones they have now over time.

Since I’ve had my S LR+ for a couple of weeks now, I can answer my own question. I can’t tell any difference between Comfort/Standard/Sport settings. Maybe with more experience I’ll learn what to look for, and under what situations it manifests, but it’s not something that makes itself immediately obvious.

Reactions: RNHurt
Since I’ve had my S LR+ for a couple of weeks now, I can answer my own question. I can’t tell any difference between Comfort/Standard/Sport settings. Maybe with more experience I’ll learn what to look for, and under what situations it manifests, but it’s not something that makes itself immediately obvious.
Try to drive a bit too fast over a downhill speed bump in Comfort..then you will notice. The front will touch the ground.