Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven \ Current Model Comparisons with Previous Models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had it on my first S85D and never wanted it again. Opened it only 2 times. Once to see if I could figure out why it was leaking and 2nd when service replaced the seal to stop it from leaking. Absolutely don’t miss it and am a-okay with it not being an option anymore.

Hopefully the lost sales from no pano roof (there has to be some) is offset by cheaper manufacturing and less maintenance for Tesla! I can definitely live without it but I'm really happy I do have it.

Had it on my first S85D and never wanted it again. Opened it only 2 times. Once to see if I could figure out why it was leaking and 2nd when service replaced the seal to stop it from leaking.

Try cleaning the drains.
My 2014 leaked around 2017 and Tesla replaced the seals under warranty. This year it leaked again and a friend of mine asked if I’d cleaned the drains. ‘What drains?’ I said. Turns out there is a drain in both front corners going down the A pillar. A gentle poke with a stiff wire and a little compressed air and voila - good as new. Took all of 10 minutes but I bet it would be 5 next time.

I expect warranty costs were part of the reason Tesla dropped the sunroof.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Try cleaning the drains.
My 2014 leaked around 2017 and Tesla replaced the seals under warranty. This year it leaked again and a friend of mine asked if I’d cleaned the drains. ‘What drains?’ I said. Turns out there is a drain in both front corners going down the A pillar. A gentle poke with a stiff wire and a little compressed air and voila - good as new. Took all of 10 minutes but I bet it would be 5 next time.

This turns out to be a common problem with sunroofs. My wife's Toyota Corolla had a clogged drain that went undetected for some time, months possibly, and ruined her carpets. Very expensive to repair the damaged carpeting. I found a lot of reports online of similar drain clogging problems with other Toyotas as well as other types of cars. Unfortunately, clearing the drains was not a part of routine Toyota service, nor was it part of Tesla's. I asked my Tesla mobile service tech about it when he did my last annual service, and he said he checked the drains, but I think all he did was to look at the top end. I do not think he used compressed air or anything like a wire.

Next time I have service I plan to explicitly ask for drains to be cleaned out.

Try cleaning the drains.

I am 3 new Teslas past that one....but thank you for your tip...others may need it.