Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Half Shaft Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a February 2020 Raven MX. After experiencing the dreaded "shutter", both half shafts were replace. The problem has been partially fixed. I still experience very mild shutter and some noise. It seems, however, that lately when hitting some small bumps it sounds like something is loose and rattles on both sides. Anyone with similar problems.

I am puzzled as to why this continues on new models. One of my cars is a 2016 MX and like so many other owners, I had the shutter problem (assuming it is the same thing mentioned here). Over a year ago (over 18,000 miles), they replaced the half-shafts and clevis mounts and the problem never returned. I would have thought that Tesla could address that problem when they started producing the Raven. I guess not.

I'm not sure if anything changed from a drive-shaft angle perspective, but I thought Tesla stated that they had actually made the front suspension, etc stronger with the Raven. With that said, the front motor on Ravens are the primary drive motor and it has more HP/torque than the previous one. I'm sure that is part of the issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
According to the local SC, the Raven suspension did fix a lot of the problems with the half shafts/shudder. I had this with my 2017 MX. My new 2019 Raven MX also suffers from slight shudder but depends on temperature and if I'm trying to replicate in front of the Tesla engineers :) They told me Raven does some 90+% of the shudder problem but Tesla is working on a fix. No date was given to me. Tesla did re-balance my wheels and that did may a difference. Try that first.

Had the problem on my 2019 Raven after about 8,000 miles.
Became so annoying that I considered selling it and buying a high HP Porsche or BMW just until they could find a fix.
I have driven Tesla exclusively since 2014 so it took a lot to disenfranchise me. It was embarrassing having suspension noise so loud that people I talked to on the phone could hear it. Really diminished driving pleasure.
After asking for help for 4 months, the Service Center finally agreed to change out the half shafts.
Instant cure. Highly recommend.

Reactions: johnking
Had the problem on my 2019 Raven after about 8,000 miles.
Became so annoying that I considered selling it and buying a high HP Porsche or BMW just until they could find a fix.
I have driven Tesla exclusively since 2014 so it took a lot to disenfranchise me. It was embarrassing having suspension noise so loud that people I talked to on the phone could hear it. Really diminished driving pleasure.
After asking for help for 4 months, the Service Center finally agreed to change out the half shafts.
Instant cure. Highly recommend.

I had the hard accelaration "dadada" sound for a while on my 2019 raven xpL, specially on a cold/wet day.
Just done replacing on both left/right halfshaft yesterday in the service center. (left halfshaft replacement last weekend not fixing the problem, right halfshaft replacement yesterday).

Not hearing the noise this morning, hope things are fixed.

the service descrition shows the new halfshaft is "second gen", not sure if this would fix the issue permanantly.

L.jpg

R.jpg

I am puzzled as to why this continues on new models. One of my cars is a 2016 MX and like so many other owners, I had the shutter problem (assuming it is the same thing mentioned here). Over a year ago (over 18,000 miles), they replaced the half-shafts and clevis mounts and the problem never returned. I would have thought that Tesla could address that problem when they started producing the Raven. I guess not.
That's what I was hoping. (Previously owned a 100D that exhibited the shudder). New half shafts to be fitted soon.

I'm curious if anyone knows whether or not the shudder issue has been fixed on the revised S. If it's caused by repeated hard acceleration you would think that the Plaid, in particular, would be more prone to this.

It would truly dumb if after introducing the Raven without a better suspension to handle the torque, they doubled down on the stupidity by not beefing up the parts on the Plaid which has even more torque.
I hope with all the replacements they have had to do over the past 2 years that the lesson was learned. I actually have faith in the Tesla design team on this issue.

I have a February 2020 Raven MX. After experiencing the dreaded "shutter", both half shafts were replace. The problem has been partially fixed. I still experience very mild shutter and some noise. It seems, however, that lately when hitting some small bumps it sounds like something is loose and rattles on both sides. Anyone with similar problems.
Yes! I have gone around and around with the Service Centers after taking delivery of my 2018 MX, same stuff, feels like Ford and GM all over again. However, the car is so good for traveling, the annoyance every 23000 miles seems worth it, especially with free supercharging. Off to put another 93000 mile on it!

Reactions: jebinc
I have over 10,000 miles on the new half shafts and clevis for my 2016 P90D and no shudder. I've noticed that pre Raven, especially 2016, seems to be fixed. I can only think that it's due to the small drive unit as compared to large drive unit on the Ravens.

I have over 10,000 miles on the new half shafts and clevis for my 2016 P90D and no shudder. I've noticed that pre Raven, especially 2016, seems to be fixed. I can only think that it's due to the small drive unit as compared to large drive unit on the Ravens.
Fourth set on my July 2018 model X 100D, approximately every 23000 miles, so I doubt it is resolved, there seems to be new engineering with the refresh and its front drivetrain. 🤞

Did they replace the clevis mount? If not, they should have. Check invoice.

Reactions: Dcam
It would truly dumb if after introducing the Raven without a better suspension to handle the torque, they doubled down on the stupidity by not beefing up the parts on the Plaid which has even more torque.
I hope with all the replacements they have had to do over the past 2 years that the lesson was learned. I actually have faith in the Tesla design team on this issue.
And yes, they were stupid. The new S and X Plaids and LR’s vibrate like F. Many threads on the matter. Tesla has now moved to calling this “a normal characteristic of this model…”. Yeah, they really have.

And yes, they were stupid. The new S and X Plaids and LR’s vibrate like F. Many threads on the matter. Tesla has now moved to calling this “a normal characteristic of this model…”. Yeah, they really have.
Damn it! I thought for sure with all the new hardware that it would have been fixed. This news has me worried about the dual motor CYBRTRK, maybe this issue is why Tesla switched to a quad motor configuration?

Last edited:
That is really stupid, I can’t imagine any existing customer buying anything with an adjustable suspension from Tesla unless they come out with a fix.