Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Model S: worth it or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Continuous improvement is great but you need to be clear about the updates and have a good system in place to keep track of the details. Both for potential new owners and for folks buying used in several years so they know what they are getting. Plus for folks who buy just before a major change it might stop them from getting upset. e.g. Nosecone, HW2, HW2.5, HW3.0.
Ideally should also track Battery chemistry versions (dont have to list secret sauce, just give them versions).

Continuous improvement is great but you need to be clear about the updates and have a good system in place to keep track of the details. Both for potential new owners and for folks buying used in several years so they know what they are getting. Plus for folks who buy just before a major change it might stop them from getting upset. e.g. Nosecone, HW2, HW2.5, HW3.0.
Ideally should also track Battery chemistry versions (dont have to list secret sauce, just give them versions).

I can imagine car dealers who are not familiar with Tesla model changes (sometimes many significant changes in a given year) going nuts trying to figure out what Tesla vehicles they are buying or selling :p

When considering a used Tesla, you almost need to just go by the manufacture year and month to have a decent idea. There used to a comprehensive thread where someone maintained all the changes and when they occurred but sadly that does not seem to be updated anymore.

Does anyone know of a current Model S changelog of features and changes?

Not all changes are in the category of "continuous improvements" though. Very sad to see the sunroof being discontinued :( Hopefully it will be back better than ever!

If you communicate the change ahead of time, you create Osbourne disruption in demand, which means either discounts or disruption in production.

You dont have to detail the changes, just release a new version on a regular cadence. i.e. every 6/12 months.
Just announce the changes on the date they are effective. i.e. July 1 and Jan 1
This way your vendors/suppliers/customers can plan ahead and you have clear versions.

You dont have to detail the changes, just release a new version on a regular cadence. i.e. every 6/12 months.
This way your vendors/suppliers/customers can plan ahead and you have clear versions.

But then who would pay full price in December and June, knowing they could wait a month and get a better car for probably the same money?

Reactions: 5JMJ and AvengerBB

Oh I'm sure vendors/suppliers are well aware of the changes, but due to an NDA they can't say anything. The customers you DON'T want to know of upcoming changes so as not to stifle sales on the existing product you have.

But then who would pay full price in December and June, knowing they could wait a month and get a better car for probably the same money?
Understood, but that is essentially what they are doing now with huge inventory discounts, randomly around quarter end or when something new is on the horizon. It would make much more sense to adopt a predictable upgrade pathway and discount at the end of a cycle, plenty of people still want those cars, but at least this way they would know exactly what they were getting and how much they were saving.

Thats how other car companies work and they in fact announce the changes months in advance of the new model being available. Its fine (& actually great) that Tesla is (trying something) different but if its not working or causing confusion then they should re-evaluate it.
If the old model has a small discount or the new one goes up in price folks will buy the old model. It simply comes down to price/value.

Decide to replace my (fantastic) '17 MS 75D with a '19 MS Performance (Raven) version. The inclusion of free supercharging, together with 100 miles more range, and of course ludicrous acceleration, sealed the deal! Can't wait for delivery.... Red/black with carbon decor/19" Silver wheels (will be winter wheels, have a set of 21" arachnid wheels).

If the deal is pretty sweet ( free supercharging, free ludicrous ) I may reverse course and not wait for the new interior but grab a Raven in the last quarter since all the reviews are so positive. I could use an extra 100 miles range, AP 3.0 as well as a half second shaved off 0-60. Who knows what demonstraters May show up on the lot last quarter as well

Reactions: bhzmark
If the deal is pretty sweet ( free supercharging, free ludicrous ) I may reverse course and not wait for the new interior but grab a Raven in the last quarter since all the reviews are so positive. I could use an extra 100 miles range, AP 3.0 as well as a half second shaved off 0-60. Who knows what demonstraters May show up on the lot last quarter as well
Go for it! I did and can't wait to have it delivered!

Curious how time with judge the Raven MS. In many ways it's the most refined MS to date (although it lacks options available in prior iterations such as real leather, sunroof and ventilated seats). Add to that the free ludicrous offer to current Tesla owners and it becomes a very tempting upgrade. But then there is all the scuttlebutt on the pending refresh, which may include a spartan Model 3 type interior, significant battery range upgrade, V3 charging speeds and possibly an exterior refresh. Such drastic changes may leave those of us who upgraded to the Raven in a state of regret--or make us glad we took the plunge. The pending changes may not make for a "better" Model S.

I formerly owned an e46 generation of the BMW M3 (2005). IMO, that remains the best M3 produced by BMW. Sure, they've added more tech, but the direction they went with a V8, for example, loses some of the spirit of the M3 -- as does the increasing prevalence of automatic transmissions.

So, could the Raven be the e46 of the Model S? I guess time will tell. In the meantime I'm struggling with the known chance to get an amazing Model S with ludicrous speed vs the unknown of forgoing that chance for what's behind door number 2.
I'm sorry, but what exactly is the "Raven" model of the S and the X? Don't see it listed that way on Tesla. Thanks

I am really enjoying my Raven Ludicrous Model S. Took delivery back when there was the free ludicrous upgrade for current Tesla owners.

Soon after taking delivery, ludicrous became standard with performance model. A bit of a sting, but I thought it was a fair price adjustment -- the ludicrous upgrade price over base performance always seemed too steep from my perspective.

But then they recently brought back unlimited supercharging. I have to admit this irks me quite a bit. I traded in my 2015 90D that had FUSC with an understanding that Musk and his minions had determined FUSC was unsustainable. Now it's back. And I don't have it. Even though I paid full price for the Model S. IMO, he should retroactively offer FUSC to Model S owners to help distinguish the model from Model 3. Premium price paid. Give us a premium benefit!

Reactions: SDRick
I am really enjoying my Raven Ludicrous Model S. Took delivery back when there was the free ludicrous upgrade for current Tesla owners.

Soon after taking delivery, ludicrous became standard with performance model. A bit of a sting, but I thought it was a fair price adjustment -- the ludicrous upgrade price over base performance always seemed too steep from my perspective.

But then they recently brought back unlimited supercharging. I have to admit this irks me quite a bit. I traded in my 2015 90D that had FUSC with an understanding that Musk and his minions had determined FUSC was unsustainable. Now it's back. And I don't have it. Even though I paid full price for the Model S. IMO, he should retroactively offer FUSC to Model S owners to help distinguish the model from Model 3. Premium price paid. Give us a premium benefit!

The day I received my S90D, the 100D came out for the same price. And now I could get a Performance S for the same price as I paid in 2017. As we all should know, Tesla’s prices (and options) change....and quite frequently.

I think you came out well on top with free ludicrous, worth heaps more than FUSC.
I'm still stinging I missed it, was ready to get the P100D (or whatever it's called now), and sell my FUSC-enabled S.

Do you think good discounts are on a horizon?