Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Model S: worth it or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just returned from a weekend trip from the Bay Area to San Diego and back. Raven, Performance Ludicrous. Have done this trip in the past in a 2016 Model X 90D and a 2013 “classic” Model S P85. About 1000 miles round trip. Typical driving (80-85 on the 5 with passing sprints as needed)

Observations:
- energy consumption was remarkably good. 316 Wh/mi for the entire trip. For comparison, my 2013 Model S was more like 350 on these trips
- much less total time spent charging. I didn’t measure in minutes but you can feel the difference. Stops were intentional to take a break, not because I had to charge. And I did whatever I needed to do while charging and then continued my trip.
- low stress - ZERO range anxiety unlike my other two Tesla’s.
- handling is amazing both on an absolute basis and relative to my previous Tesla’s
- acceleration is just ... ludicrous
- the cabin is so quiet
- biohazard mode is NOT powerful enough to overcome the smell of cow off the 5
- I’m not a big autopilot user - I like to drive, along the lines of those stupid car commercials (Audi?) trying to diss Tesla FSD. That said, I did try both TACC and Autosteer. Seemed to work well but I didn’t use them much. (I don’t have FSD.)

Especially if you’re coming off an older Model S, the Raven upgrade is well worth it. (Plus, I’m with the people who don’t want the model 3 interior in their model s.)
What the f**k is Raven?

Is the Raven suspension and/or perm mag fr. motor retrofit-able?

For someone with a rooted car or a supportive service center and lots of time and money, probably.

I'm pretty sure an upgrade will never be officially offered.

And I really wish people would stop calling it a permanent magnet motor. It's technically true but highly misleading, because this motor is nothing like the permanent magnet motors used by others in the industry, with their permanent magnet rotors.

It's a switched reluctance motor with permanent magnets added to the stator along with the coils, driving a laminated steel core.

I really wish people would stop calling it a permanent magnet motor.

unlikely

upload_2019-6-18_6-51-19.png

The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther

Also see:

Motor City

• Funny
Reactions: ICUDoc

But did you read the sentence above it, where it's fully described as a permanent magnet synchronous reluctance motor?

Most folks I talk to seem to think Tesla joined the rest of the industry and accepted that the motors everyone else was using were a better choice, which is not what they did at all - they instead developed something totally new that's a development of one of Nikola's early patents.

My return trip started in an underground parking garage. No reception

Same here. I was parked in the ABQ civic center parking garage the evening before I left and it was right after leaving there that I realized there was no autopilot. That being said though, it was parked overnight in an outside parking lot before I actually started the trip the next day. And I did do a couple of reboots before we left. Any insights?

I just bought a model X, zero regrets.

If you can wait 1-2 years... then sure I guess, wait.

But I wouldn't and I didnt. Sure it's slightly better then the current model, but that's life in tech.

A candy that is 5% bigger then a normal one is technically better, but your not going to regret your Tesla purchase regardless of which you get.

And in 4-7 years get the newest model at that time.

Most folks I talk to seem to think Tesla joined the rest of the industry and accepted that the motors everyone else was using were a better choice, which is not what they did at all - they instead developed something totally new that's a development of one of Nikola's early patents.

shhhh. don't tell anyone else.