Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven (non-performance) Maximum Power Output vs 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone measured the power output of their non-performance Raven? I took delivery of our new car 4 days ago and ran PowerTools this morning. I achieved 459 hp max. accelerating hard at about 35% SOC after about 90 miles of easy highway driving. My March 2018 build 100D which we traded in for the Raven achieved up to 573 hp fresh off the SuperCharger @ 77% charge. The lowest peak I recorded from that car (at the exact same location as the 459 hp reading) was 532 hp @ 69% charge @ 60°F, battery cool, within a mile of leaving our house. While I only have one data point at a low SOC, our new car appears to be under-performing when taking into account that low SOC. Looking at Performance Metrics posted on this site, the hp of this new car predicts I am not able to achieve Tesla's advertised 0-60 spec of 3.7s. Any comments?

By the way, from what I can tell, the potential maximum kW outputs of the front/rear motors are 258/285 for the Raven and 193/285 for the 100D. So there appears to be quite a bit of potential for performance improvement as long as the front tires can maintain grip.

Where does the car get the kW metric (that is shared with PowerTools) from? If it's measuring the total power drawn from the battery then a more efficient motor, bearings etc will indeed affect the power delivered to the road. The question I have is: will this offset the lower "HP" reading that I'm seeing vs a 100D. I see a 6% point efficiency gain in "the entire drivetrain" (https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-electric-car-company-Tesla-Motors-use-AC-motors-in-their-cars), which equates to <3% for the overall vehicle if you assume power is roughly shared 50:50 between the two motors when max. HP is reached. If my logic is correct, this would explain some but not all of the drop in HP I'm seeing.

According to PowerTools the HP is a measure of the motor power and not the power drawn from the battery. I measured only 505 HP max. (375kW) fresh from the SuperCharger today at 80% SOC. Max. occurred at 54 mph. Peak was way below what I was achieving with my 100D. The acceleration was around 4.5 seconds 0-60 (without the 1 ft rollout removed). Anyone else experiencing below spec performance from their brand new Raven?

According to PowerTools the HP is a measure of the motor power and not the power drawn from the battery. I measured only 505 HP max. (375kW) fresh from the SuperCharger today at 80% SOC. Max. occurred at 54 mph. Peak was way below what I was achieving with my 100D. The acceleration was around 4.5 seconds 0-60 (without the 1 ft rollout removed). Anyone else experiencing below spec performance from their brand new Raven?
Hope this isn’t true. Is the best way to do it with a stopwatch?

So, the car installed 28.3.1 overnight and I repeated a PowerTools run starting this time from 12 mph. Peak HP was not improved achieving 496 HP at 75% SOC. Peak though occurred at an earlier speed (about 47 today vs about 52 mph yesterday) and I had better acceleration though still short of spec. Does anyone know whether new cars have a break-in curve driven by software and maybe this applies to Performance Ravens as well?

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Is Ludicrous switchable?

It is - but this question was specifically asked about a non Performance Long Range Raven, so Ludicrous mode isn't on either of the car's being compared.

Which unfortunately means neither car has the L+ stats page available, where you can see the battery, front motor, and rear motor instant and maximum power usage and the current and maximum acceleration numbers that would make it easy to answer this question.

I am sure that all of the power numbers being pulled from the API are on the electric side, so a high efficiency motor will be delivering more torque for the same apparent electric consumption.

• Helpful
Reactions: ICUDoc

Power of the motors is directly related to the maximum speed the vehicle can attain (when friction losses, especially air drag, reaches maximum vehicle power). The motor is never putting out its maximum power until the vehicle can no longer be made to go faster.

Torque of the motors is the determining factor to how fast you can accelerate. Torque applies the force at the wheels that both accelerates the vehicle and overcomes drag force—up until the vehicle reaches its maximum power.

Any power (hp or kW) rating of the car determined by an acceleration test (e.g. 0-60, or 1/4 mile) is merely an estimate of the power available based upon some assumed relationship between power and torque. One cannot directly measure the horsepower limit of a vehicle except by reaching its limit.