Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven (non Performance) real world range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my experience is opposite. at high speeds (90mph) you can barely tell the difference with old cars. but at 40-80 raven is much superior.
Also older cars are much superior with initial acceleration from stop somehow, a lot more oomph.

I don't know about pre-Raven having superior acceleration but I get what you mean regarding the initial punch. I test drove a 2018 S 75D and loved how it pushed you into the seat on a launch. Bought a Raven S Standard Range instead and it indeed lacks the initial punch but acceleration is a smidge quicker than the 75D. Tesla smoothed out the power delivery and probably also some of it due to the different motor in the front for Raven cars.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I don't know about pre-Raven having superior acceleration but I get what you mean regarding the initial punch. I test drove a 2018 S 75D and loved how it pushed you into the seat on a launch. Bought a Raven S Standard Range instead and it indeed lacks the initial punch but acceleration is a smidge quicker than the 75D. Tesla smoothed out the power delivery and probably also some of it due to the different motor in the front for Raven cars.
yes, it's probably all perception since the advertised 0-60 numbers did not change. PM in front likely has a big impact on it.

It’s not there. I am on 2020.35.10.1 See attached picture.

Do you have a Raven? Maybe they removed it due to the increased efficiencies.
Also there is no “Low Regen” option anymore. It appears both disappeared for LR+. I wonder why? I hope they bring them back, low Regen is more important to me than Range mode because my wife gets car sick with strong Regen. Also it’s helpful to reduce Regen on icy roads.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The elevation change makes a huge difference. I can charge my LR+ to 100%, and drive from Sunriver, OR to my home 181 miles away, at normal+ highway speeds in non-Chill mode, and end up with 45% charge. That would imply a range of 402 miles, but I also dropped 4041 ft of elevation along the way (4164 feet to 123 feet elevation). If I do the same trip in reverse, I go from 100% to 20%, implying 226 miles of range going uphill.

I still hit the EPA estimates on my previous ICE cars, ranging from 4-, 6-, and 8-cylinders. However, in the 1990s I used to easy exceed EPA estimates in my Honda Accord. Rated for 30 or 31 MPG but I would get 34 MPG without even trying. With our Model S (hoping to go to an X) I can exceed EPA rating around town and a little less on the highway.
You must drive like a saint. Especially in the winter or dead of summer. Heater usage and AC use are not good for EPA ratings, and a tendency to drive about the speed limit doesn't help I suppose.

You must drive like a saint. Especially in the winter or dead of summer. Heater usage and AC use are not good for EPA ratings, and a tendency to drive about the speed limit doesn't help I suppose.

You're right, I don't go more than 5-7 MPH above the speed limit. I will drive spiritedly and have fun accelerating but I mostly abide by the speed limit, especially when there are other lives in the car with me.

In college I was pulled over for doing triple digit speeds on the freeway. Just as I crested a hill I saw the lights of a police car in the grassy knoll. I immediately pulled over and was still waiting for the trooper to finish his u-turn. I figured I was toast and time to face the music. I didn't make any excuses and miraculously the officer let me go on my way without a ticket. He could have easily thrown my butt in jail and impounded my car. Ever since then, over 20 years ago, I don't speed (excessively) out of respect for that officer.

On a separate note, my buddy gets better Wh/m in the Summer but it's the reverse for me. I am more efficient in the Winter. Our NorCal winters are mild and I naturally run hot and don't need much additional heat from the car.

Last edited:
You're right, I don't go more than 5-7 MPH above the speed limit. I will drive spiritedly and have fun accelerating but I mostly abide by the speed limit, especially when there are other lives in the car with me.

In college I was pulled over for doing triple digit speeds on the freeway. Just as I crested a hill I saw the lights of a police car in the grassy knoll. I immediately pulled over and was still waiting for the trooper to finish his u-turn. I figured I was toast and time to face the music. I didn't make any excuses and miraculously the officer let me go on my way without a ticket. He could have easily thrown my butt in jail and impounded my car. Ever since then, over 20 years ago, I don't speed (excessively) out of respect for that officer.

On a separate note, my buddy gets better Wh/m in the Summer but it's the reverse for me. I am more efficient in the Winter. Our NorCal winters are mild and I naturally run hot and don't need much additional heat from the car.
Oh, well same as me. 6mph over the limit is still technically speeding. I do around 10-15kmph over the speed limit so as to avoid infuriating every driver behind me, except those rare times when I've almost been out of battery in an area with bad charging infrastructure and I need to drive slower.

I have hit triple digits in MPH a few times in my life, but never when other cars or traffic are on the road, I like to do it as "safely" as possible, also avoids the risk of an undercover cop tagging you, which thankfully hasn't happened yet. But honestly going over 120kmph ~70mph is just extremely inefficient, so I try to avoid it unless I'm in Germany.

In Cali I could see the winter being more efficient, but here in south Canada where the winters are crazy mild by Canadian standards (usually above freezing), I see my wh/km plummet by nearly half. Usually I get about 60% of the EPA rated range 5-10 degrees above freezing. Jealous of that Model Y's heat pump for sure!

For me it's been a week today, my range is roughly about 10-15 miles below the EPA estimate depending on driving habits. Below are some of the metrics from the Tesla Stats App. I did figure out that my driving efficiency went up 101% last night because I was really good for once. :)

IMG_62224CD65DB9-1.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: VikH and AdamMacDon