Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven (non Performance) real world range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can the owners of Raven (2020 model), non performance (and no towing) post the average real world range they get? The advertised range is 351 miles but I wanted to see what most folks are getting. I understand it depends on Weather, road conditions, etc. But still it would be great to know if you go long distance on highways, what range are you getting. I was so hoping that Tesla would introduce the Heat Pump like they have in Y for S and X but they did not.

Can the owners of Raven (2020 model), non performance (and no towing) post the average real world range they get? The advertised range is 351 miles but I wanted to see what most folks are getting. I understand it depends on Weather, road conditions, etc. But still it would be great to know if you go long distance on highways, what range are you getting. I was so hoping that Tesla would introduce the Heat Pump like they have in Y for S and X but they did not.

I have a non plus (2019 LR non Performance) 20” OEM and in summer (last 5K miles or so) I’m averaging 280 wh/mi (with some towing). Winter is like 320 wh/mi.

So overall I’m around 300 wh/mi which is very close to EPA range of 326. (and that was with towing in summer, some bad weather now and then and long winters). I do have an attached garage which helps some.

I don’t drive crazy fast 65-70 mph. I do have range saver on and usually have the car in Chill. Car is plenty fast in Chill. Chill just helps me form better driving habits. I also turn HVAC off every time I park. I never preheat battery or cabin.

your range will greatly depend on how fast you drive. Seeing you are in Boston, I remember the speed limits were lower up north and enforcement was more strict. so if you plan to do 80mph you can count on ~250-270ish miles per full charge in one go
Also keep in mind on a road trip you won't be able to realistically charge to 100%, mostly only to about 80-something and then you won't discharge to 0% either. Personally my record is ~238 miles between stops on a roadtrip (where I forced myself to pretty much go at 80mph as normally I drive faster) and that used 82kwh. next stop was some 100 miles away so there was no chance to reach it anyway even if I slowed down some more (esp. since I only started with 88% SoC and when I arrived the car shown me "3 miles left").

• Informative
Reactions: BM3B
I am sorry but I am not able to convert Wh/mile to real road miles. Is there a formula to do that? I am not a bunny rabbit when it comes to driving but I usually drive in 60-70 mph range. The highways here in MA have 55 or 65 mph speed limits. The advertised miles for the 2020 Raven is 351 miles. But if people are getting only 250-270 then that is around 100 miles less than advertised range. If I cannot drive to NYC in one charge then this car is of no use to me. Or maybe there are ways to increase its range? Would be great if someone could provide more details. We went from Boston to Six Flags last year (in Agawam) in friends Model 3. But we had to go for the superchargin in Chicopee on our way back. Its about 100 miles one way. I think he was being conservative but still. Since there as no provision to charge while the car was standing in open parking lot (which sucks BTW because that would be so much easier) we had no choice but to go to a Supercharger. All theme parks should have charging stations because the cars stand there all day anyway. So coming back to the topic 250 miles is cutting real close if I go for Skiing and try to come back which I can easily do in our ICEs. So even after spending $80+K if I cannot make it back home, then this whole EV transition sucks and EPA should seriously do something about these Fake 351 miles published EPA range with a star at the corner. Very deceiving for the consumers.

You will not be able to do a round trip (Boston to NYC and back to Boston) without stopping at a super chargers (actually 3 stops). A quick round trip check of a route planner (with a 2020 Model X, at typical highway speeds, 1 passenger, starting at 100% charge) would take 8hrs 11minutes, with 3 supercharge stops:
  • A 21 minute stop at a supercharger at Meriden, CT on the way to NYC.
  • You would have to supercharge for 24 minutes while in New York.
  • A 42 minutes supercharge in CT on the way back to Boston.
You would be back in Boston with 10% battery remaining.

I am sorry but I am not able to convert Wh/mile to real road miles. Is there a formula to do that? I am not a bunny rabbit when it comes to driving but I usually drive in 60-70 mph range. The highways here in MA have 55 or 65 mph speed limits. The advertised miles for the 2020 Raven is 351 miles. But if people are getting only 250-270 then that is around 100 miles less than advertised range. If I cannot drive to NYC in one charge then this car is of no use to me. Or maybe there are ways to increase its range? Would be great if someone could provide more details. We went from Boston to Six Flags last year (in Agawam) in friends Model 3. But we had to go for the superchargin in Chicopee on our way back. Its about 100 miles one way. I think he was being conservative but still. Since there as no provision to charge while the car was standing in open parking lot (which sucks BTW because that would be so much easier) we had no choice but to go to a Supercharger. All theme parks should have charging stations because the cars stand there all day anyway. So coming back to the topic 250 miles is cutting real close if I go for Skiing and try to come back which I can easily do in our ICEs. So even after spending $80+K if I cannot make it back home, then this whole EV transition sucks and EPA should seriously do something about these Fake 351 miles published EPA range with a star at the corner. Very deceiving for the consumers.

Yea always chop off 50+ miles from epa, no one likes to drive it down past 15% anyway and no one drives at 55mph. I personally cant wait for a 500+ mile car.

Reactions: X-pilot and PJFW8
I'm right at about 3 mi / kWh, and my reading for the true battery capacity is 91 kWh, so 271 actual miles from 100% state of charge to "call a tow truck". More realistically for commuters, you want to charge to 90% for daily use so you have full regen, and you want to leave the bottom 10% as a reserve, to 271 x 0.8 = 217 miles of daily commuter range at 75+ mph.

However - If my daily commute was 217 miles, I'd be shopping for a new house or job, not a new car. Just sayin' ;)

Be careful and do your homework before spouting claims. Your language is borderline troll.

351 mile range assumes mix of city and 65 mph highway and that you charge to 100% and run down to 0 miles which is not a good idea for several reasons including battery longevity and risk of needing a flatbed tow. You can expect 240-260 miles between charges at 70-80 mph in the summer, 200-220 in the winter and lower if gaining altitude. That's plenty for me since there are superchargers at least every 100 miles on most freeways and I like to stop for a break every 2-3 hours. Going on long routes with no supercharger is possible if you plan ahead with destination charges like hotels and RV campgrounds.

If you are serious then rent a Model X LR+ on Touro and try it yourself.

Last edited:
If you read the fine print on the window sticker, it shows what consumption rate (Wh/mi) yields the 351 mile range on a full charge. Again, that assumes you’re using 100 percent of the battery (just like in a gas car, you never use 100% of a tank of fuel).

If long range without stops is important to you, then a diesel powered vehicle is for you. However, I own both (diesel pickup and a 2019 MX LR) and can tell you from experience the real world difference in travel time is negligible. I take a 740 mile (each way) road trip a few times a year. My HD diesel (6.6L) with a 36 gal tank can just about make it on one tank but I always top off about mid way. My Tesla needs three charging stops. I drive the same speed in both vehicles. The difference in travel time? About 45 minutes. It’s a 12 hour trip in the truck and about 12:45 in the Tesla. I could probably make it even in the Tesla if I followed the instructions in the car and just charged what it needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
So coming back to the topic 250 miles is cutting real close if I go for Skiing and try to come back which I can easily do in our ICEs.
So you ski (me too)...the actual range of an EV is much less in winter than summer. Really need to multiply the summer actual range by at least 0.85 and maybe as low as 0.70 to deal with winter conditions. Largely depends on how much the heater is used. You may think that 250 miles is minimum required, but you may also find that just sometimes it is more convenient to charge than to get gas. I plug into a regular 120 outlet while visiting relatives, and it can be an easy and key supplement to getting the range I need.
then this whole EV transition sucks and EPA should seriously do something about these Fake 351 miles published EPA range with a star at the corner. Very deceiving for the consumers.
I have occasionally gotten annoyed at the focus on the range as a primary statistic for EVs. But I don’t think it is fake or deceitful. It is based on a certain set of conditions, and when those conditions are met, it is indeed true. Same for EPA mpg for ICE vehicles. And for EVs, there is additional element that it is not good to always be filling the battery to 100% and depleting it to 0%.... while it can be done, it’s just not usually the best plan.

Before I converted to EVs, I ran my cars from full tank to empty on long trips before I would let any of my suffering passengers out for a rest stop. I converted to EVs almost 3 years ago, and have found a new and better way to travel. I stop to charge the car for about 20 min every 150 miles. It stretches the legs, head to bathroom, maybe grab a bite to eat, and crack open a new bottle of water. Arrive at my destination a little later, but much more rested and hydrated. Healthier on so many fronts.

People are confusing EPA Highway mileage test results with their real-world driving. The EPA tests are done for relative comparison between cars. As such, they are done on a dynamometer via a strict speed, acceleration, and deceleration schedules. The highway one also tops out at 60 MPH. The new high speed goes up to 70 mph, but averages less than 50 mph. I bet if you drove these schedules you would get the EPA numbers; and a lot of middle fingers from other drivers.

Go to this page and see the speeds, acceleration, and deceleration curves used for the various tests.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
We have a Model X LR+. Haven’t been stuck yet. Took a 2-week, 7000 mile road trip. No problem.

Also have a Model 3 LR. That, also, hasn’t been stuck.

All good. I learned to stop worrying about range. If I need to stop, I’ll stop. You have to really work hard at running out of battery. It’s almost a deliberate choice to blatantly ignore what the car’s telling you.