Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven only charges at 48A...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Edit.... 42A

I guess I missed this in all of my ordering excitement, but my new Raven X will only charge at a max of 42A on my home HPWC. My 2018 S will do 72A.

So glad I didn't spring for another 90A circuit in my garage :)

You wouldn't need a second 90amp circuit as the HCWC of the last couple years can actually share a circuit and manage load.

On the plus side the Raven efficiency is giving you a few extra miles per hour.

Agreed. Not complaining, but was surprised when I plugged it in. I'm going with a second HPWC on the same circuit and will let them load balance.

Reactions: boaterva
It's not a Raven thing, they've been using 48A chargers in the 100D/P100D/LR for a while now.
Picked up our Model X October. It appeared to have the higher amp charger to our surprise..

71amp.JPG

My 2014 P85 has a wounded secondary charger, should be capable of 80amps but in practice only pulls 72. Was told it "dropped a phase"
Wonder if something similar can happen to the new single chargers.
It will register as 72/80 does yours come up as 42/42 or 42/48 if the latter I would ask the service center to look at it.

Some confusion about 42 vs 48. Please post a picture of your charging screen while charging.

Tesla discontinued the 72 amp charger some time ago. All cars charge at a maximum of 48 amps AC now, except standard and mid range Model 3, which are 32 amps max.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
should be capable of 80amps but in practice only pulls 72
I think 72A is right where it should be. At least with US cars, the charging setup is made of 24Amp AC-DC Converters. There's space for three of them in the unit, but many cars only have two. That's why the charge rates are 48A (2x24A) or 72A (3x24A).

In this video, timestamp of about 11 minutes 18 seconds, you can see Rich open up both a 48 and a 72 amp charger, you'll notice how the 72Amp charger has three units inside and the 48A has two.

I think 72A is right where it should be. At least with US cars, the charging setup is made of 24Amp AC-DC Converters. There's space for three of them in the unit, but many cars only have two. That's why the charge rates are 48A (2x24A) or 72A (3x24A).

In this video, timestamp of about 11 minutes 18 seconds, you can see Rich open up both a 48 and a 72 amp charger, you'll notice how the 72Amp charger has three units inside and the 48A has two.

The setup in the current chargers (post-discontinuation of the 72 amp unit) is 3x16 amp boards (or 2x16 amp for standard and mid range Model 3).

• Informative
The setup in the current chargers (post-discontinuation of the 72 amp unit) is 3x16 amp boards (or 2x16 amp for standard and mid range Model 3).

Oh interesting. That makes sense for the Model 3, but did they switch over the Model X and S to use these same 2x and 3x16 amp chargers? As far as I know, they are completely different form factors so I don't think they'd be using the same part, but there is a revision -C on the Tesla EPC that I'm not familiar with which very well may be 16Ax3

Oh interesting. That makes sense for the Model 3, but did they switch over the Model X and S to use these same 2x and 3x16 amp chargers? As far as I know, they are completely different form factors so I don't think they'd be using the same part, but there is a revision -C on the Tesla EPC that I'm not familiar with which very well may be 16Ax3
The Model S originally came with a 40A charger and an optional 40A secondary charger, which is where the 80A comes from. Since the Model X and Model S refresh, it's been either 48A or 72A.

• Informative

In the EU given the common 3-phase charging setups there are always three on-board chargers (even on a Model 3 SR+), but on a Model 3 it's 3*16A*200-240V (clamped at 11kW) and on a model X it's 3*24A*200-240V (clamped at 16.5kW).

Which leads me to believe that in the US and "single phase countries" the X would still have two 24A chargers, not three 16A ones.

My 2019 Model X performance is being charged by a Tesla Wall Connector, which is wired for 100 amp dedicated circuit and still only draws 48 amps. I can’t remember exactly how many amps my 2018 Model X Performance drew but I remember the charge time being twice as fast.