Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Performance in Europe - only hits 140 kW for few minutes, 92 kW for the rest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a model x long range raven( december 2019, E-pack, 50.000 km), in Europe, charging wit ccs adapter at v3 or using the regular plug on v2 superchargers. It has a similar charge curve. So it slowly ramps up to 140 kW when around 5%. At about 40% it drops to a 95-ish kW. And it stays there until about 60%. Then it starts dropping to somewhere in 60kW.
must say that coming from a model 3 LR AWD, charging in the model X is s bit disappointing.
just wondering if anyone has managed to fix this speed (via Tesla).

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
i have a model x long range raven( december 2019, E-pack, 50.000 km), in Europe, charging wit ccs adapter at v3 or using the regular plug on v2 superchargers. It has a similar charge curve. So it slowly ramps up to 140 kW when around 5%. At about 40% it drops to a 95-ish kW. And it stays there until about 60%. Then it starts dropping to somewhere in 60kW.
must say that coming from a model 3 LR AWD, charging in the model X is s bit disappointing.

I have both, LR3 and LRX(G pack). Still last summer the X was faster than the 3 to charge if you had to charge over 85%. At 80% it’s pretty even and below that the 3 is a lot better.

Not sure now though, feels like they capped the ’legacy’ cars.

My E pack long range December 2019 seems to charge exactly the same way on version 3 superchargers. I never get above 140kw (usually more like 136kw) and it only lasts for a short while. I’ve brought it in 3 times and have been told everything is “normal.” When I first had the car I was able to get over 190kw even if it was for a short while at low SOC.

I have both, LR3 and LRX(G pack). Still last summer the X was faster than the 3 to charge if you had to charge over 85%. At 80% it’s pretty even and below that the 3 is a lot better.

Not sure now though, feels like they capped the ’legacy’ cars.
I would think above 85% a bigger battery would take more kw just because it's bigger at some point they're all 400v packs or whatever

But who is fast-charging above 85% with any regularity unless they're towing or driving through a nightmarish winter storm

I would think above 85% a bigger battery would take more kw just because it's bigger at some point they're all 400v packs or whatever
But who is fast-charging above 85% with any regularity unless they're towing or driving through a nightmarish winter storm

I am, because of the kids. It’s impossible to get them back in the car in less than 45 minutes and this means that the car is at 85% or more..

I’ve got this problem on my late 2020 MX. I noticed it already last summer but no resolution yet. I looked into data and noticed that when the limititation kicks in, the charging current is limited to 250 A, thus following the 90+ kW charge rate when battery voltage gradually increases.

Charging used to be much faster, maintaining 140+ kW to around 50% SOC and giving 100 kW still at 65% SOC, so this sudden reduction to 90 kW level just after 10 min is definitely a malfunction.

Problem occurs with both V2 and V3 (with CCS adapter) Superchargers, so problem isn’t linked to adapter or charger type.

I’ve got this problem on my late 2020 MX. I noticed it already last summer but no resolution yet. I looked into data and noticed that when the limititation kicks in, the charging current is limited to 250 A, thus following the 90+ kW charge rate when battery voltage gradually increases.

Charging used to be much faster, maintaining 140+ kW to around 50% SOC and giving 100 kW still at 65% SOC, so this sudden reduction to 90 kW level just after 10 min is definitely a malfunction.

Problem occurs with both V2 and V3 (with CCS adapter) Superchargers, so problem isn’t linked to adapter or charger type.
I’ve seen this only our post 10 minute timer current caps at 230-235A

1644854245501.png

Image2.png
This is how it looked in my case. Current is strictly limited to 250 A which seems like a very artificial limitation. Also there is a slight surge of voltage just before the limit kicks in, it’s not very visible with this axis scale, but interesting and potentially linked to this problem.

View attachment 768891This is how it looked in my case. Current is strictly limited to 250 A which seems like a very artificial limitation. Also there is a slight surge of voltage just before the limit kicks in, it’s not very visible with this axis scale, but interesting and potentially linked to this problem.
If you look at mine, there’s also a small voltage surge before it clamps down on amps.

About to go see it 2022.4.5 fixed any of this…

Malfunction.. or Teslas limitation of which service points know nothing about and claim ’everything looks normal’.

View attachment 768891This is how it looked in my case. Current is strictly limited to 250 A which seems like a very artificial limitation. Also there is a slight surge of voltage just before the limit kicks in, it’s not very visible with this axis scale, but interesting and potentially linked to this problem.
Very interesting.
Looking at the graph, it seems that the temperature of the battery gets higher than 40 degrees at the moment the current gets capped. Can't see it in detail, but that might also be a clue (as in: if temperature >=40 degrees then set maximum current to 250A).
Next time I supercharge I will observe the behavior of the voltage and temperature in detail, by hooking up ScanMyTesla.

Last edited:
Managed to record the charging session today. Below are the results.
Must say that I think the charging curve is better than what I have seen in the past. I remember getting sudden drops in charging power, to 95kW at about 40%. But today there was a more gradual decline in charging speed.

Some details:
- Values derived from ScanMyTesla (iOS)
- Outside temp was 4 C
- Running 2022.4.5.1
- Model X Raven, December 2019, E-Pack, 50.000 km
- Scan My Tesla reports Nominal Full pack at 92,7 kWh
- Started charging at 7%. Pack was pre-heated (message about pre-heating had disappeared when driving to the supercharger)
- Supercharger was v3, with CCS adaptor
- Charged from 7 to 80%
- I noticed the (battery heating/cooling) fan turning off (or down) at 27% (which was about 10 minutes after I started charging)

Schermafbeelding 2022-02-20 om 10.28.34.jpg

Looking at the graph from @chrisfin, I thought the current-cap could be related to the battery temperature. In the graph from today, it as there is no sudden cap in current visible, so it may not be the case and the graph is more similar to the one from @ElectricIAC.

Also (for those who want to dive in the details) I have included the table;
Schermafbeelding 2022-02-20 om 10.37.34.png

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
For E pack that graph looks about right. G and F used to get 142kW (chargers point of view) up to 45% and gradually drop to 100kW at 66%. Looks to me G and F have been downgraded to that same curve after the plaid was released.

That said, your pack was too cold to hit proper speeds in the beginning (did you preheat?). AFAIK the only physical difference between the E and G/F is the wiring thickness, so newer packs accumulate less heat and can maintain the charging rate a bit longer. Apparently some cars also have the newer panasonic cells, but all seem to follow the same charging curve.

Last edited:
For E pack that graph looks about right. G and F used to get 142kW (chargers point of view) up to 45% and gradually drop to 100kW at 66%. Looks to me G and F have been downgraded to that same curve after the plaid was released.

That said, your pack was too cold to hit proper speeds in the beginning (did you preheat?). AFAIK the only physical difference between the E and G/F is the wiring thickness, so newer packs accumulate less heat and can maintain the charging rate a bit longer. Apparently some cars also have the newer panasonic cells, but all seem to follow the same charging curve.
I did preheat the pack indeed, by entering the supercharger in the navigation. The message in the navigation about preheating went away before i arrived at the supercharger. Nevertheless i agee that the pack should ideally be warmer when starting to charge. The trip to the supercharger was too short (20km) to fully heat the pack, i guess. I will try again next time, when i drive a little longer.

I think that they indeed crippled the speed compared to last summer, now it holds 142kW only up to 33%, compared to 43% last summer. 67% used to be the 100kW point and now that hits after 50%. 70% is at 70kW and this is already almost the same it was and everything after it as well.

Last edited:
I think that they indeed crippled the speed compared to last summer, now it holds 142kW only up to 33%, compared to 43% last summer. 67% used to be the 100kW point and now that hits after 50%. 70% is at 70kW and this is already almost the same it was and everything after it as well.
Yeah I noticed a change around October updates to curve trending downward as well. Pretty much the same as you’re seeing x 0.87 (350V pack)

Reactions: Ardje
My E pack long range December 2019 seems to charge exactly the same way on version 3 superchargers. I never get above 140kw (usually more like 136kw) and it only lasts for a short while. I’ve brought it in 3 times and have been told everything is “normal.” When I first had the car I was able to get over 190kw even if it was for a short while at low SOC.
In V2, it is better (at 54%SOC, charge rate is 100kW with a gradual taper from 142KW). In V3, I see exactly what you guys get (30% - 60% it is stuck at 94KW after peak of 196KW and sudden drop to 94KW at about 31%). Battery temperature was above spec. in V3 (goes as high as 55C) and cooling fan did not turn on. In V2, I saw battery temperature didn't go above 45C and cooling fan was turned off as well. Something is wrong and I am inclined to blame it on SW guys. Seems like they don't test enough for legacy models before they release. Another example I can cite is the KW marking on the IC energy graph, it comes and goes with every update.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220227-145436.png
    Screenshot_20220227-145436.png
    684 KB · Views: 42
Last edited: