Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Performance in Europe - only hits 140 kW for few minutes, 92 kW for the rest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me anyway, they told me it's operating as designed.

This is obviously untrue but I don't have any way to prove it yet - and my last supercharge was 5 software versions ago, so, will have a chance to check again this week

Last edited:
Technically the truth. They designed the new charging curve to be a nuisance to owners of non refresh vehicles.

Amazing but quite likely. I suppose this teaches me not to trust tesla anymore - I somehow can’t believe european manufacturers would be so keen on breaking customers cars. Going with the mercedes e-class or the 370mi audi e-tron next.

Here’s a recent session on V11. 😑

1643563210627.png

10mins is a preventative thermal cutoff and is normal for BTX4, 5 and 6 cars, particularly noticable if you start off at below 10%SOC
So massive throttling after 10 minutes on those cars is considered normal?

Anyway.. My battery is a rev G, so would reasonably expect it to perform better than the older X100 (BTX6) battery.

And going by this video by Bjørn Nyland
it should have no problem going @131 for almost double that:
Screenshot_20220131-221040.jpg

(G pack on the left)

Last edited:
So massive throttling after 10 minutes on those cars is considered normal?

Anyway.. My battery is a rev G, so would reasonably expect it to perform better than the older X100 (BTX6) battery.

And going by this video by Bjørn Nyland
it should have no problem going @131 for almost double that:
View attachment 762696
(G pack on the left)
Normal on V11, but I observed this amperage limiter timer of 10m regularly even when SC speeds were unbridled for the better part of a year.

My performance on two different V3's is about the same as it was. Ramp from low (like, 10 or below) SoC, up to 200kw (max observed was 205) for some small number of minutes, maybe 3-4 min, followed by fairly rapid throttle-down to about 90-94kw - then hold in that 90-95 range until ~50% (I never charged above 50% this trip; in the past it has ramped back up to 110 or so before ramping down again at higher SoC's).

It results in adding about 30% in about 18-19 minutes, which is fine for supercharger hopping every 70 miles or so, but would need a 45 minute charge to skip a charger most of the time.

Eh. If it gets any worse I guess I'll log it and see what's going on but even in pretty crap conditions it was no big deal considering I also need to do things. This was a three-stop 480 mile trip that could have been two if I had managed to remember to schedule charging but left at 91%, and it was windy, raining and cold the whole time. I did hear the car's cooling kick on, briefly, but again, max temp today was 50 degrees and two of the sessions were 40 degrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: BM3B
...It results in adding about 30% in about 18-19 minutes...

That seems really slow. In the video I linked to, Bjørn gets almost 40% in the same time. And that is even with the capped CCS adaptor..

Still hoping for _jmk to chime in on his current speeds. Although his earlier post on this page seems to indicate that he is no longer getting the speeds he used to..

Yep. It's definitely slower than it was when the car was new. Something is up. It seems overall charge speeds on a V2 and V3 are identical on my car now, unless you just want to add 10-15%, which it will do in ~ 5 minutes on a V3. On a V2, it still has the same basic curve it had when new, goes up to 150 and holds for a good while, then gradually tapers rather than falling off a cliff like it does on the V3.

I'm thinking that while technically capable of taking more amperage than the earlier cars, there must be some other component in the Raven or even all legacy cars that was failing when running at higher amperage for longer, and they have throttled them. It just hasn't turned into enough of an inconvenience for me to delve deeper into it yet. MAybe they just broke it with software and haven't fixed it yet, but it's survived like 20 updates since it started doing this, sooo

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yep. It's definitely slower than it was when the car was new. Something is up. It seems overall charge speeds on a V2 and V3 are identical on my car now, unless you just want to add 10-15%, which it will do in ~ 5 minutes on a V3. On a V2, it still has the same basic curve it had when new, goes up to 150 and holds for a good while, then gradually tapers rather than falling off a cliff like it does on the V3.

I'm thinking that while technically capable of taking more amperage than the earlier cars, there must be some other component in the Raven or even all legacy cars that was failing when running at higher amperage for longer, and they have throttled them. It just hasn't turned into enough of an inconvenience for me to delve deeper into it yet. MAybe they just broke it with software and haven't fixed it yet, but it's survived like 20 updates since it started doing this, sooo
Definitely software.

One other weird thing, I navigated to the supercharger each time on this past trip and it never told me it was pre-conditioning despite it being relatively cold out (50f and below). I'm on 2022.4. Previously on the 2021 software releases, it would pre-condition and behave the exact same curve-wise, so, dunno what's going on there

That seems really slow. In the video I linked to, Bjørn gets almost 40% in the same time. And that is even with the capped CCS adaptor..

Still hoping for _jmk to chime in on his current speeds. Although his earlier post on this page seems to indicate that he is no longer getting the speeds he used to..

It’s winter here and really chilly. It hasn’t been as good as during the summer, but I can’t fully exclude the cold weather as the cause. While it starts charging nicely at 142kW, it ramps down earlier than it used to and drops below 100kW at 50% or so. During the summer it maintained speeds over 100kW until 67%.

... drops below 100kW at 50% or so. During the summer it maintained speeds over 100kW until 67%.

Thanks for the info. That still seems massively faster than in my case. Usually I get the steep decline to 92kW after only 30% SOC as shown above. Same as OP's charts.

It has never charged appreciably faster than that. Under all circumstances never near the numbers in Bjørns video. I'll take it up with the SC..

@PilotChris , did you ever have the problem looked at further?