Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Performance in Europe - only hits 140 kW for few minutes, 92 kW for the rest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you think other EV makers will be any better? I am just being devil's advocate.
Hard to say. Perhaps there is a protection to maintain battery health in the long run. Other EV brands are relatively young in this domain, so there is nothing to say yet about their long term battery health. The charging speeds/curves are impressive with other brands, but I am wondering how the degradation curve will goe during the next couple of years.

All we can say for sure is that on our X-es, it should be better. Also in Europe, where we cannot even charge over 140kW due to the adapter (so we are missing 60kW anyway).
Coming from a Model 3 long range (and not looking at the 250kW peak) the performance was better. High power charging until 65%. Possibly due to other chemistry in the Model 3 packs.

I do indeed think this is a software cap, but with best intentions from Tesla to protect our packs. :)

Hard to say. Perhaps there is a protection to maintain battery health in the long run. Other EV brands are relatively young in this domain, so there is nothing to say yet about their long term battery health. The charging speeds/curves are impressive with other brands, but I am wondering how the degradation curve will goe during the next couple of years.

All we can say for sure is that on our X-es, it should be better. Also in Europe, where we cannot even charge over 140kW due to the adapter (so we are missing 60kW anyway).
Coming from a Model 3 long range (and not looking at the 250kW peak) the performance was better. High power charging until 65%. Possibly due to other chemistry in the Model 3 packs.

I do indeed think this is a software cap, but with best intentions from Tesla to protect our packs. :)
I do think that there could be an oversight on Tesla's part on not turning on the cooling fan. They do allow the pack to run hot after charging at a very high rate in V3. Why allow that high rates if they want to protect the battery in the first place.

I am going to file a bug report in the car and see if Tesla notices that.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I do think that there could be an oversight on Tesla's part on not turning on the cooling fan. They do allow the pack to run hot after charging at a very high rate in V3. Why allow that high rates if they want to protect the battery in the first place.

They may limit you to 60kw as a reward.

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj and Ardje

Yep. It just doesn't track. Something is funky. I too haven't noticed this weird behavior on a V2.

Heh. Their best intention is to sell you a car and advertise it can charge at 250kW, like it was said about my X. Then they deliver it for 3 months in the US and take it away and never deliver anything in the EU. All 3 of my friends that bought Xs thought they are buying a car that can charge at 250kW. Reality is in this thread.

This company is seriously dishonest or ‘way too hopeful’. They twist the reality more than mr. Trump or mr. Putin. Audi e-trons are now 3,5 years old and every single one of them charges like new.

My neighbor has 85D. It’s useless now for long distance travel. I guess some slowdown is to be expected as the cars age, but with that car it’s way worse than that.

Last edited:
This company is seriously dishonest or ‘way too hopeful’. They twist the reality more than mr. Trump or mr. Putin. Audi e-trons are now 3,5 years old and every single one of them charges like new.
Was it supercharged primarily, meaning at high rates like Model X/S/3/Y? What is the capacity after 3.5 yrs? With current battery technology, you cannot achieve best of everything - range, charging time, capacity retention, cost

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Was it supercharged primarily, meaning at high rates like Model X/S/3/Y? What is the capacity after 3.5 yrs? With current battery technology, you cannot achieve best of everything - range, charging time, capacity retention, cost
They have seen similar use and have probably been charged even more than the Teslas due to lower range, at higher rate. All of them are still going as well as the new ones, don't buy the tesla superfan fud. There are things where Tesla just does poorly and this constant BMS adjustment is one of those cases, you never know what you are buying and what they are committed in delivering. It has a huge resemblance to classic 'bait and switch' sales technique and it has to end at some point.

No real improvements with 2022.4.5.3..

1646399303645.png

I stand corrected, my X is still good. I just did a long drive in freezing temps and it behaved good, charging 71kWh in 41mins, averaging over 100kW.

137kW@25%, 98kW@63%, 65kW@80%. For freezing temps this is quite good.
Screenshot_20220407-202056~2.png

Yeah. Section between 33-50% is still slower, otherwise it's as good as it was. 4kW drop from the max speeds yesterday can easily by explained by the winter as some energy goes to the heating.
Something to consider is that the display now shows KW being taken in by the pack vs KW being delivered. There does seem to be some more tapering starting in the low 30’s vs low 40’s on prior software revisions.

New software seems to have unlocked speeds again but the car is a lot more picky about battery temperature.
This was my experience recently as well on I think 2022.8.2. Much more gentle ramp down from a high of 206kw. It doesn't act broken anymore, though of course it can't hold 200+kw for very long the ramp wasn't from 200 to 94 immediately, and added 46kwh in ~25 min starting from 24% SoC. My next return leg charge session was about 27% added in 12 minutes, starting from 24% also, with similar behavior. It's probably only marginally faster overall than it used to be, and I haven't tried it from a deeper discharge state like 5-10% yet, but it was a very marked light-switch like dropoff before and now it's not doing that. No logs because I'm cheap and lazy. I suppose if I ever need to only add 20% it will be nice to not have it doing that anymore, it was a very quick charge for my return leg.

I only ever got the "preconditioning" message once, and it was for a trip I cancelled and moved around to a difference SC in the nav. But I was also discharging quickly due to weather and speed at 375+wh/mi, so maybe that was keeping it warm enough at 50 degrees ambient

Anyway, seems less broken now. Still a tesla, so something is always broken with the software, but this part isn't as much broken as it was, heh

Last edited: