Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Powertrain Grinding Noise - does yours sound like this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pday518

Supporting Member
Mar 15, 2023
Redwood City, CA
New member here, thanks in advance for any help!

Background:
I've got a new (to me) 2020 MSP bought certified from Tesla and replacing my old MS P85D. Right after delivery, I noticed the front drivetrain seemed to be noisier than my old MS (best way to describe it is a hollow, speed-dependent white noise reminiscent of a dull grinding) especially when turning at full lock. Then I noticed the acceleration shudder and figured that must be it: bad half shafts. The SC agreed and recently replaced the entire front drive unit and both half-shafts with the Gen2 parts. Problem solved, right? Not quite. Acceleration shudder is indeed gone, excessive drive noise remains.

Thoughts:
After diving through countless threads about various noises (with this one from a few years back being the most similar to my problem), I feel like I've given up trying to ascertain what is causing this and instead I'm questioning my sanity and trying to decide if this is unusual or this is just a louder front powertrain there isn't actually a problem. However, I'm a mechanical engineer by training and my gut tells me this is just too significant to be normal. Unfortunately, I don't know any other MS owners around here with Raven powertrains to let me take a spin to compare.

Ask:
Given the above, I was hoping for some help from you good people. I've posted a video that reasonably highlights the difference/delta in the drive noise level between driving straight and relatively slow (low noise) to turning at full lock and varying the speed slightly when doing so (high noise, dependent on speed). This was done holding the phone in my hand so audio is imperfect that noise delta fairly significant.

Is anyone else experiencing this? If not, I'll have to investigate further here because it has started to drive me crazy and it's quite apparent even when driving straight at highway speeds.

Thanks again in advance!

I have an X. Mine has a groaning or whale sound similar to yours but a bit deeper in tone. Service said it was normal. I bought mine used and it appears the half shafts were replaced at some point. I am taking it into service for another suspension issue: axle clicking on acceleration

It's good to know I'm not alone in hearing something that the SC's dismiss as normal.

A friend of mine owns a high end dealership so I took it to his head tech for a second opinion. He noticed the tires were wearing a bit oddly and thought Tesla might not have gotten the alignment quite right which is another thing to check. I suggested hub bearings but he thought the noise would be even louder if it was that.

My suspicion of the bearings remained so I jacked it up this morning, compressed the calipers so the pads weren't touching the rotors, and free spun the wheels in neutral. I heard a lot more than I expected - kind of a grittiness to the spin. I've got a video here. It shows the front passenger and then driver wheel (unfortunately AC was on in the first part so there's a lot of background noise) but on both of them you can hear the grittiness as the wheel spins. I may try a go-back with the service center with this in mind.

Any other thoughts would be welcome!